M i ss i ss i pp i...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This AM CNN was interviewing the top dog from the local chapter of the Army Corps of Engineers talking about the levee fixes and how things were more damaged than expected and so on and dude said that the storm wiped out the levee on the south side of NO, along the Mississippi.

It was 17 feet tall...and 10 miles long.

GONE.

Intrepid reporter: What if we get another storm before fixee fixee?

Dude: "Way worse than what we just went through."

In other news a refugee woman was interviewed in Houston, I think, and asked about when is she gonna try and go back.

She said; "Not going to go back. NO is 10-12 feet belowe sea level and you can't change that. I'm done."

Hot N Bothered

A friend told me, there was a tourist place in NO when you'd go there, you'd have to climb up a hill. The guides would point out the River in front of you, at your level, then tell you to turn around and look down on the rooftops of the city.

What were they thinking :banghead: It was only a matter of time.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Is the fixee fixee worth it?

The cost of fixing/replacing the current damage to the levees, maintenance expenses, and any future expenses from additional storms, etc., vs. bulldozing the area and letting the bowl flood permanently.

citysherry said:
Is the fixee fixee worth it?

The cost of fixing/replacing the current damage to the levees, maintenance expenses, and any future expenses from additional storms, etc., vs. bulldozing the area and letting the bowl flood permanently.
"Lake New Orleanes" :yay:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Is it 'worth' it...

...everyone says it. No one wants to define it.

What does 'is it worth it' mean?

Give me a dollar figure.

NO is home to some what, 450,000, or so with a population including local suburbs of about 1.3 million people. That's about 500,000 households with a median of $27,000 income per household.

Call it something like $13-15 billion in econmic activity per year. That's a rough estimate.

I've heard upwards of $100 billion to fix the city and I have no idea what 'fix the city' means. Perfect levees? New house for everyone?

For arguments sake, if insurance is picking up a huge portion of the $100 billion, I see no reason not to rebuild it but I would think insurers would demand substantial imrpovements to the flood prevention systems, ie the levees and pumps.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Sterilize it!

Larry Gude said:

What does 'is it worth it' mean?

Give me a dollar figure.

NO is home to some what, 450,000, or so with a population including local suburbs of about 1.3 million people. That's about 500,000 households with a median of $27,000 income per household.

Call it something like $13-15 billion in econmic activity per year. That's a rough estimate.

I've heard upwards of $100 billion to fix the city and I have no idea what 'fix the city' means. Perfect levees? New house for everyone?

For arguments sake, if insurance is picking up a huge portion of the $100 billion, I see no reason not to rebuild it but I would think insurers would demand substantial imrpovements to the flood prevention systems, ie the levees and pumps.

With all the disease and E. coli floating around, it would be best to Sterilize New Orleans with a couple nudets.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Larry Gude said:
...if insurance is picking up a huge portion of the $100 billion, I see no reason not to rebuild it but I would think insurers would demand substantial imrpovements to the flood prevention systems, ie the levees and pumps.

Is that the best use of our tax and insurance dollars? I think we should invest those dollars in relocating people elsewhere. It just doesn’t make sense to rebuild homes and offices in a place that can be destroyed all too easily.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
Larry Gude said:

If that number is anywhere near accurate, it sounds to me like it's time to bring in a whole fleet of bulldozers, scrape the low-lying areas, bring in enough fill dirt to raise the ground level to where it's above the sea level, and THEN rebuild. :elaine: