Mag loaders

PsyOps

Pixelated
I read in another thread (from few years ago) that mag loaders (like Uplula) are illegal in MD. Can anyone confirm this? I'm looking at getting one for a 9mm and .223 magazine. Are they any good?

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I can't see how they are illegal if you can buy them at Fred's Sports. I have an Uplula for 9mm's and LOVE it. It works on both my Beretta Cx4 and my S&W M&P compact mags. They also have speed loaders for revolvers there.

I the only negative is you go through ammo a lot quicker because you don't have to hand load each round one at a time killing your fingers.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated
I can't see how they are illegal if you can buy them at Fred's Sports. I have an Uplula for 9mm's and LOVE it. It works on both my Beretta Cx4 and my S&W M&P compact mags. They also have speed loaders for revolvers there.

I the only negative is you go through ammo a lot quicker because you don't have to hand load each round one at a time killing your fingers.

Thanks. I misread the other thread.

On another note, I found out the hard way that 30 round mags for ARs are illegal. I ordered a M&P15 and it came with a 30 round mag, and my FFL told me they will have to exchange it out for a 20. I was pretty disappointed. I don't feel much like driving to VA to get 30 round mags.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Yea, when I bought my Cx4 and M&P 15-22 from Big Dogs they said they couldn't sell the high capacity mags with the gun because of MD laws. But they said nothing prevented them from giving them to me. :whistle:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Yea, when I bought my Cx4 and M&P 15-22 from Big Dogs they said they couldn't sell the high capacity mags with the gun because of MD laws. But they said nothing prevented them from giving them to me. :whistle:

I really need to get out of this state.

Graymatter

On another note, I found out the hard way that 30 round mags for ARs are illegal. I ordered a M&P15 and it came with a 30 round mag, and my FFL told me they will have to exchange it out for a 20. I was pretty disappointed. I don't feel much like driving to VA to get 30 round mags.

I bought (3) 30 round mags for AR 15 through brownells.com last week

Vince

30 round magazines are not illegal in Maryland until Oct 1, 2013. They are illegal to buy in Maryland, but not illegal to own. After Oct 1, if you have a 20 or 30 round mag, you can keep it, but you can't get anymore. Don't know if you can actually use it after 1 Oct. Has to be a 10 round.

PsyOps

Pixelated
30 round magazines are not illegal in Maryland until Oct 1, 2013. They are illegal to buy in Maryland, but not illegal to own. After Oct 1, if you have a 20 or 30 round mag, you can keep it, but you can't get anymore. Don't know if you can actually use it after 1 Oct. Has to be a 10 round.

Yes, I misstated it. I bought an AR from an online dealer and it was shipped with a 30 round mag. My FFL told me they cannot transfer the gun to me without exchanging out the mag for a 20 round mag. It's my understanding that you can buy from out of state and bring it in. I would think that would apply to buying online but it appears to not be the case. If you can buy online and that online business is out of state I don't understand why my FFL would confiscate the 30 round mag and replace it with a 20; unless it's considered a MD purchase once it's transferred to an FFL.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Delivered to your home I assume? Are you sure that's legal? This is what the law states:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

“A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.”

But apparently you can go to another state where the sale is legal and bring it into MD. Weird law. But I'm not sure buying on line (receiving) is legal. the law doesn't seem to address online purchases.

And what's really screwed up is if you are pulled over and the cops find the 30 round magazines, you better have the receipt to prove where you bought it and that it's legal.

Last edited:

nutz

Yes, I misstated it. I bought an AR from an online dealer and it was shipped with a 30 round mag. My FFL told me they cannot transfer the gun to me without exchanging out the mag for a 20 round mag. It's my understanding that you can buy from out of state and bring it in. I would think that would apply to buying online but it appears to not be the case. If you can buy online and that online business is out of state I don't understand why my FFL would confiscate the 30 round mag and replace it with a 20; unless it's considered a MD purchase once it's transferred to an FFL.

Yes, that would be the case. It's not fully transferred until you take possession and a ffl in md. cannot sell/give you a 30 round mag.

Chris0nllyn

Delivered to your home I assume? Are you sure that's legal? This is what the law states:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf

But apparently you can go to another state where the sale is legal and bring it into MD. Weird law. But I'm not sure buying on line (receiving) is legal. the law doesn't seem to address online purchases.

And what's really screwed up is if you are pulled over and the cops find the 30 round magazines, you better have the receipt to prove where you bought it and that it's legal.

You can buy one, and get it sent to your house.

It just has to be a "rebuild kit".

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Don't know if you can actually use it after 1 Oct. Has to be a 10 round.

See? How simple would that be? No need for endless legislation forbidding this type, that quantity, this function, that appearance. Just one law covering behavior;

No using guns for ill purposes.

:shrug:

PsyOps

Pixelated
You can buy one, and get it sent to your house.

It just has to be a "rebuild kit".

Okay, you're going to make me show my stupid... I don't know what a 'rebuild kit' is. But, I get that you're saying ordering 30 round magazines online and shipped into MD is not legal?

bulldog

This is very surprising. Have you received it yet?

Okay, you're going to make me show my stupid... I don't know what a 'rebuild kit' is. But, I get that you're saying ordering 30 round magazines online and shipped into MD is not legal?

A simple "kit" that allows you to rebuild damaged/worn mag. Normally they include the magazine shell, spring, follower and floor plate. It's not an assembled magazine so many places would ship to MD. I got several "kits" from 44mag.com and all you have to do is assemble them and you have a full up mag. My understanding is that most places, including 44mag.com have stopped shipping to MD now too.

ZARA

Rebuild kit:
AR-15 Magazine Rebuild Kits

This thread has me a tad curious, my FFL is getting an order of 30 rds mags in and we have already reserved ours. Going to have to ask about this...

PsyOps

Pixelated
A simple "kit" that allows you to rebuild damaged/worn mag. Normally they include the magazine shell, spring, follower and floor plate. It's not an assembled magazine so many places would ship to MD. I got several "kits" from 44mag.com and all you have to do is assemble them and you have a full up mag. My understanding is that most places, including 44mag.com have stopped shipping to MD now too.

Thanks.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It is my understanding that you can own and use any capacity magazine you want to. You just cannot buy, sell or receive a mag over 10 rounds within state lines. I've bought a few firearms over the last few years that had to be shipped to my FFL sans magazines because they were over 20 rounds in capacity.

I've been looking at a mag loader for some of my 7.62 stuff. But at 300 bucks, I'm still loading the mags by hand for now. I'll make sure I get one if it looks like we're getting close to the SHTF.

:buddies: