Maher on Gutfeld

SamSpade

Not quite as bad as I thought. Too much kumbaya, let's all get along, and Maher tended to think cross talk ok and that he was the night's special guest.
Most of the segments, Greg picks a person to start and goes around the room with the rest, and cross talk is contained in joking. Bill caught on quickly, and backed off a little when he wanted to be nasty. It being his show, Greg was able to stay ahead of him.

Bill was a little biased and a bit wrong about his own "Politically Incorrect". He didn't have differing views - he'd have ONE differing view, and the show was a pile on, for the conservative differing view. It took someone with brass balls to stand up to the crowd. The different view was there so the others could prove THEIR point of view was RIGHT, and the dissenter was wrong.

Still, he behaved himself and got a spot at the end to promote his book. However, I would be very surprised if he ever came back - unless he writes another book.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Not quite as bad as I thought. Too much kumbaya, let's all get along, and Maher tended to think cross talk ok and that he was the night's special guest.
Most of the segments, Greg picks a person to start and goes around the room with the rest, and cross talk is contained in joking. Bill caught on quickly, and backed off a little when he wanted to be nasty. It being his show, Greg was able to stay ahead of him.

Bill was a little biased and a bit wrong about his own "Politically Incorrect". He didn't have differing views - he'd have ONE differing view, and the show was a pile on, for the conservative differing view. It took someone with brass balls to stand up to the crowd. The different view was there so the others could prove THEIR point of view was RIGHT, and the dissenter was wrong.

Still, he behaved himself and got a spot at the end to promote his book. However, I would be very surprised if he ever came back - unless he writes another book.
Again, I found Bill's hatred for Trump surprising. It's almost like he's in on a secret that none of the Trump supporters are privy to.

SamSpade

Again, I found Bill's hatred for Trump surprising. It's almost like he's in on a secret that none of the Trump supporters are privy to.
I've never known him to ever say anything favorable about Trump.

He generally hates three things - Trump, religion and the far right. Despite all his other views - and I bought one of his books twenty years ago, and he has a lot some of us would agree with - that stuff hasn't changed.

SamSpade

They didn't go on much about this next item - because it had the likelihood of sending the show off the rails --

But Greg was right and quick to point out with regard to Georgia - "find" those votes and "create" those votes are vastly different things.
When you believe you've won a state and an opponent is pulling votes out of his ass - you're sure your OWN votes are in there.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
They didn't go on much about this next item - because it had the likelihood of sending the show off the rails --

But Greg was right and quick to point out with regard to Georgia - "find" those votes and "create" those votes are vastly different things.
When you believe you've won a state and an opponent is pulling votes out of his ass - you're sure your OWN votes are in there.
Maher and the Leftists hear what they want to hear.

They believe he wanted the votes manufactured because they know that's what THEY would do in his place.

SamSpade

What they define as "Far Right" seems to be getting closer and closer to the center.
That's kind of always been true - I've seen this meme - well, it was a long time ago - that illustrates how the center seems to move left.
Yesterday's liberals are today's conservatives, with the progressives continually yanking the party leftward. Today, even a McGovern doesn't seem so far left.

I don't think it's a steady progression. I think it's more closely - circular, inasmuch as the political winds very often snap back hard.

LJ1999

I really enjoyed it. Much better than when Gutfeld was on Maher's Club Random show.

I kind of hope that the two of them are realizing that they could maybe be the "uniters" of the moderates and help to bring people back together. That could be why there was so much kumbaya.

I would like to see them both do more of each others shows and see what happens.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
I'm still hoping for trying and convicting all the Democrats then send they out on a Hunt preserve like their fantasies, except they'll be the hunted and it'll be by folks that can actually shoot. :lmao:

SamSpade

I was watching his reaction to Kat, especially when she said she's never voted for a Republican or Democrat, and later when she defended Butker but dismissed his remarks saying "I don't make dinner, I make MONEY". I didn't get the impression that Maher ever watched the show, and was unfamiliar that Greg doesn't line the show with people who agree with him - or bubbleheads who just regurgitate talking points.

For one - Bill has a weakness for women, in general.

He did show some disdain when he got applause for some remarks.

Clem72

He was born and raised in NYC and as far as I know has never lived anywhere else for longer than the time it takes to shoot a movie. He probably hated Trump before it was cool.

LJ1999

I was watching his reaction to Kat, especially when she said she's never voted for a Republican or Democrat, and later when she defended Butker but dismissed his remarks saying "I don't make dinner, I make MONEY". I didn't get the impression that Maher ever watched the show, and was unfamiliar that Greg doesn't line the show with people who agree with him - or bubbleheads who just regurgitate talking points.

For one - Bill has a weakness for women, in general.

He did show some disdain when he got applause for some remarks.
He probably hasn't seen the show, or an entire show. He brags about not watching anything news related. I was shocked to see him on the show but then he does have a book to sell.

Looks like he did a stint on one of the other news stations while he was in New York yesterday

Clem72

And he was on pretty good behavior last night.
which says a lot, namely that his convictions aren't as important as his pocket book. He was there to sell books and he knows which way their audience leans, so he chose to tone it down to make the sale.