Mailing Liquor

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I was looking around but I can't seem to find anything. Seems like I remember somebody was going to send a boss (a few years ago) a subscription to the beer of the month club as a gift but there was some issue with Maryland not allowing mailing of liquor. Maybe it was a dream...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
I was looking around but I can't seem to find anything. Seems like I remember somebody was going to send a boss (a few years ago) a subscription to the beer of the month club as a gift but there was some issue with Maryland not allowing mailing of liquor. Maybe it was a dream...
I seem to recall something along the same lines for Wine of the Month club too. I think there was a woman with one of the VA wineries that wanted to fight it so VA wines could be shipped to MD stores.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm not sure, either, but in the case of the Beer of the Month Club, I *think* that the issue was that the outfitter sending the beer was based outside of MD. Consequently, MD was not getting the tax on the sale of the item. Many wine businesses won't sell to folks in MD because of the tax issue. I tried purchasing some California wine and they wouldn't sell to me because of the taxation problem. This was a couple of years ago, so maybe the situation has changed?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
:frown: Dean wanted to send a bottle to a good friend of his for father's day, but not sure if we can do it or not. Rats!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by PFgal
:frown: Dean wanted to send a bottle to a good friend of his for father's day, but not sure if we can do it or not. Rats!

Why don't you just call 1-800-gofedex (FedEx) and ask them or UPS. :shrug: Or call the PF post office tomorrow.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Why don't you just call 1-800-gofedex (FedEx) and ask them or UPS. :shrug: Or call the PF post office tomorrow.

Yeah, that's the plan. Just thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone knew off hand. I'm sure someone can ship it...let's hope so anyway!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by PFgal
Yeah, that's the plan. Just thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone knew off hand. I'm sure someone can ship it...let's hope so anyway!
Just pack it up tight and declare it coffee.

Hot N Bothered

I think if it's a small enough quantity to be considered "personal consumption" and it's a gift, not selling it, it's legal. I received a bottle of wine as a gift one time. And since it broke in the mail, and soaked through the package, it's not like the Post Office couldn't figure out what was in it. :ohwell:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
And since it broke in the mail, and soaked through the package, it's not like the Post Office couldn't figure out what was in it. :ohwell:

Did they replace it?

Hot N Bothered

Originally posted by tys_mommy
Did they replace it?
You mean the Post Office? No. I didn't bother to ask. It wasn't insured and it wasn't packed very well. There were actually two bottles and some glasses. It's a miracle only one bottle broke. I never told the sender, it was a gift, afterall.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/posters/pos37/welcome.htm

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.htm

Let's Keep The Mail Safe
Ask
to find out if your items are potentially hazardous, perishable or restricted. Some restricted items are quite common, including:

* alcoholic beverages
* firearms and ammunition
* cleaning supplies, including ammonia and bleach
* gasoline and gasoline-powered equipment
* camping gear containing fuels
* mercury and items containing mercury
* pesticides, herbicides and other poisons
* aerosols and other compressed gases
* perfumes, colognes and alcohol-based cosmetics
* matches, lighters, fireworks and other flammable materials
* used medical equipment

For a reference guide of restricted materials, see the hazardous materials brochure (Notice 107). http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/notices/not107.htm
~~~~~~~~

I've shipped wine across the country before, but I used UPS.

John Z

if you will
Well, I was reading the rules on the USPS website. No, you can't mail alcohol through the Post Office:

422.11 Intoxicating Liquors
Intoxicating liquors having 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content are nonmailable. This includes taxable liquors with 3.2 percent or less alcohol, as well as those obtained under a prescription or as a collector's item. The prohibition of the mailing of intoxicating liquors is contained in federal law (18 U.S.C. 1716).

422.21 Products Not Categorized As Intoxicating Liquors
A product containing an intoxicating liquor is mailable if it conforms to the applicable requirements of the IRS and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and if it is not a taxable alcoholic beverage, or poisonous or flammable. The following examples are mailable:
a. Cold remedies.
b. Cooking wine.
c. Mouthwash.

I guess it is time to check UPS, FEDEX, etc.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Oh goodness gracious...
I've done it many times, pack well and send it on. Put lots of popcorn in the box and wrap the bottle well with bubble wrap.

That way when it catches fire & brings down the fedex plane, all the plastic will melt and deplete up the ozone.