Making safe place to shoot on my property, maybe

glhs837

Power with Control
So, have been pondering this since I bought this place over a year ago. Not talking about bringing in M61A1s, most likely top out at rare .45 or 9mm pistols on occasion, mostly .22LR pistol or rifle, maybe 25-30 yards. Neighbors okay with it.

Figure a gentle downhill slope towards the bottom of a 40 foot tall wooded hill. There is a nicely vertical backstop area about 15 feet across and 8 feet tall. From firing position towards target area/backstop it will cross a small seasonal stream.

Only houses are about 110-120 yards almost directly to the left and right. Shooters would be myself and the kids, 15 and 17, always supervised. Thoughts, ideas? Would like to capture the lead, do not want to haul hundreds of pounds of sand 400 feet back into the woods. Maybe 200lbs:)

TPD

the poor dad
So, have been pondering this since I bought this place over a year ago. Not talking about bringing in M61A1s, most likely top out at rare .45 or 9mm pistols on occasion, mostly .22LR pistol or rifle, maybe 25-30 yards. Neighbors okay with it.

Figure a gentle downhill slope towards the bottom of a 40 foot tall wooded hill. There is a nicely vertical backstop area about 15 feet across and 8 feet tall. From firing position towards target area/backstop it will cross a small seasonal stream.

Only houses are about 110-120 yards almost directly to the left and right. Shooters would be myself and the kids, 15 and 17, always supervised. Thoughts, ideas? Would like to capture the lead, do not want to haul hundreds of pounds of sand 400 feet back into the woods. Maybe 200lbs:)

Sounds like your backyard is similar to mine, sans the houses. I only toted a couple bales of straw t the bottom of the hill to use as the backstop, only I am staying on this side of the stream. I am not trying to recapture the spent lead.

On another note, I own 25 wooded acres at another location that I have recently been seriously considering setting up a shooting range for profit. Having never been to a shooting range, I've got a lot of research to do to see if it will be feasible. Between my father and I, we own 50 contiguous wooded acres so I think we definitely have the space for it.

somdwatch

Sounds like your backyard is similar to mine, sans the houses. I only toted a couple bales of straw t the bottom of the hill to use as the backstop, only I am staying on this side of the stream. I am not trying to recapture the spent lead.

On another note, I own 25 wooded acres at another location that I have recently been seriously considering setting up a shooting range for profit. Having never been to a shooting range, I've got a lot of research to do to see if it will be feasible. Between my father and I, we own 50 contiguous wooded acres so I think we definitely have the space for it.

TPD, I started a some research just recently, for me I would have had to purchase property. So a no-go. But I went up to the NRA's web site and they have two conferences a year on range engineering. It seemed smart to me to involve them, as you may be able to bring in competition shooters to bring in some profits. I know the place on Great Mills Rd. has over a 200 person waiting list to join. I know me and the wife are looking for a local place to practice.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I thought that Maryland had a law prohibiting discharge of a firearm within so many yards of a residence, but I cannot find it anywhere. Anyone heard of it?

MMDad

Lem Putt

If you do it count me as a customer. There are too few places to shoot, and I'd like to get my wife and kids to be proficient.

glhs837

Power with Control
Been looking into that a lot, and while there is aprohibition from hunting within 150 yards of a residence, there appears to be nothing about shooting that is not hunting related.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Been looking into that a lot, and while there is aprohibition from hunting within 150 yards of a residence, there appears to be nothing about shooting that is not hunting related.

So it's a DNR rule? I know the MD code allows DNR to make hunting related firearms rules, but those rules do not apply to non-hunting uses. Sounds like you are probably good.

glhs837

Power with Control
If there is anything in MD code, or St Marys zoning, I cant find it. Went through the SMC zoning document last night with every search term i could think of and got nothing.

Firing
Shooting
Discharge (I now know way more about septic and storm runoff than I should):killingme
Guns
Rifle
Pistol

Nothing in there.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

:killingme:killingme:killingme

Uh....no.

Its unlawfull to:

•Hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant.

I have an Offshore and Shoreline Hunting license for my property. But I don't need that to shoot clays or stationary targets; just the 150 yards separation.

glhs837

Power with Control
:killingme:killingme:killingme

Uh....no.

I have an Offshore and Shoreline Hunting license for my property. But I don't need that to shoot clays or stationary targets; just the 150 yards separation.

•Hunt, trap or shoot at wildlife within 150 yards of an occupied building or camp without permission of the owner or occupant.

But Gilligan, unless you plan to eat the clays or targets, does that 150 yards apply?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But Gilligan, unless you plan to eat the clays or targets, does that 150 yards apply?

How could it not? Shooting is shooting.

Been visited by plenty of LEOs and DNR officers over the years when we were just shooting targets (too many citified transplants have moved on to the island over the last 20 years; they like to waste our public officials time with stupid phone calls) ). I'm sure that one of them would have said something if there was a problem with it.:buddies:

glhs837

Power with Control

Been visited by plenty of LEOs and DNR officers over the years when we were just shooting targets (too many citified transplants have moved on to the island over the last 20 years; they like to waste our public officials time with stupid phone calls) ). I'm sure that one of them would have said something if there was a problem with it.:buddies:

But shooting at wildlife and shooting at targets is not the same thing. Wildlife moves around, whereas targets sort of stay in the same area. Excepting clays and such, of course. And of course, DNR has, as far as I know, no authority over non-hunting activities on private property. Could be wrong, of course.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that you need more space, my point is that the 150 yard thing doesnt seem to apply if you are not shooting at wildlife. Maybe the officers are just latching onto it as the only number they have? Like applying wiretapping laws to public recording of officers, they like to grab whatever justification they can.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Good luck on finding any information on a range at your place. Keep us posted on what you find out.

My neighbors are always shooting on their farmland and I'm perfectly fine with it. Just wish not so early in the morning sometimes. I'd love to see more ranges around SoMD. Fred’s in Waldorf is a hassle and Myrtle Grove is always busy. Maryland Small Arms just opened up thier new store with a 24 lane range next to Andrews. You can bring your own ammo, but can't use it on rentals.

MMDad

Lem Putt

It's a DNR reg for hunting. The MD code specifically states that DNR has no authority to regulate target shooting.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's a DNR reg for hunting. The MD code specifically states that DNR has no authority to regulate target shooting.

So?

Y'all can go on with your guesses and I'll stick to what my license says and what those from the sherrif's office and DNR have had to say over the last 20 years or so about it when they are standing right there with us where we're shooting rifles and pistols at targets and shotguns at clays.:buddies:

Unless somebody can post the MD Code that spells it all out.

nutz

I would build a decent 3 sided backstop out of old railroad ties then line it with some old conveyor belting. Use sand boxes in front of the stop and rig up a pulley system (clothes line) for target retrieval. Even though the neighbors don't disagree, a ricochet could be bad news for everybody (negligence, etc.).

The Box O' Truth #7 - The Sands O' Truth - Page 1

MMDad

Lem Putt
Unless somebody can post the MD Code that spells it all out.

§ 10-408. Department to regulate use of weapons and ammunition

The Department shall prescribe by regulation the means or weapons for hunting designated wildlife. The Department shall set forth any restrictions relating to weapons used to hunt designated wildlife, including the amount and size of ammunition for designated game birds or mammals. The Department shall make the regulations available for distribution with each hunting license purchased. This section does not authorize the Department to restrict the use of firearms except in the activity of hunting designated wildlife.

You said it was on your license, right?