Making safe place to shoot on my property, maybe

dilligaf.

Be considerate of your neighbors. Don't do it. I'm an American too and I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where I hear guns being fired.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've heard that there are special rules for shooting out over the water. I'm not sure about that though - I think my brother may have mentioned it, he had a pier over the Potomac.

As for the deputy, (s)he may have just been wrong. That's not at all unheard of. Like I said, I've had officer friends suggest the same thing to me before and, when challenged on the point, they've either checked further on it and told me I was right or acknowledged they didn't know for sure.

I do know that there is a specific provision of the Maryland Natural Resources Code that refers to a 150 yard 'safety zone', but it only relates to hunting for wild birds or mammals.

?? The "special rule" is the 150-yard safe distance. Nothing else. The rules that relate to what guns, what ammunition size and type, how many shells ..etc are all specific to what you are hunting, not so much where. None of them apply to clays...for example.

glhs837

Power with Control
Be considerate of your neighbors. Don't do it. I'm an American too and I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood where I hear guns being fired.

I am being considerate of my neighbors, of which you are not one:) You dont want to live in a neighborhood where you dont here gunfire, I would suggest many subdivisions in the development district. I live in the RPD, and have five neighbors on a private road. Given that around us is about 150-200 acres of mixed woodland and farm fields, there is gunfire all the time, and as far as I know, nobody is bothered. As I was walking the dog through my woods this am doing more site survey, we were hearing a shotgun off through the woods. Didnt bother me in the least.

MMDad

Lem Putt

Keep it quiet, where you only hear the ambulance or hearse coming in to pick up yet another victim. Great idea!

abcxyz

?? The "special rule" is the 150-yard safe distance. Nothing else. The rules that relate to what guns, what ammunition size and type, how many shells ..etc are all specific to what you are hunting, not so much where. None of them apply to clays...for example.

I thought one still had to use stainless shot when shooting clays?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I thought one still had to use stainless shot when shooting clays?

Nope. You have to use non-lead shot when hunting waterfowl.

But that is a common misconception and up until about 6 or 7 years agao, I was under the same impression. One of the more senior DNR officers paid us a visit one day when we were shooting clays (one of those jelly-legged ex-city neighbors called and said we were "hunting" and it was a Sunday), hung around for a good hour or so to shoot the breeze. We continued taking our turns with the trap while he was there, our trap being set up to throw out over the water, of course.

The question came up about target shooting with plain ole cheap game loads and he stated unequivocally that the lead ban only applied to actual waterfowl hunting shot.

Another btw though...I read an article recently that discussed a proposed ban on almost all lead use in ammunition. So look out for that backdoor attempt at gun control by dramatically increasing the cost, and reducing the availability, of ammunition.

nutz

That's your one post on a question about safely creating a shooting area? :killingme Perhaps you should consider moving to one of the countries that don't allow guns. Let's see, according to the web, "With a confirmed firearm possession rate of 5.6 private guns per 100 population, civilian gun ownership in Ireland has yet to reach one-third the rate of 17.4 firearms per 100 people calculated across 15 countries of the European Union. In a 2007 UN survey, 12.4 per cent of Irish respondents reported that they, or someone else in their household owned a firearm or an air rifle.

It has been estimated that as many as 150,000 unregistered firearms might also be in private possession in Ireland, suggesting a total civilian stockpile of 393,000. If true, this would yield a rate of 9.1 private firearms per 100 population, both legal and illegal."

Warsaw, Poland's climate is very similar to ours and it is very difficult to get a weapons permit except for hunting. Iceland has similar rules but the climate is less enjoyable, however, their blue lagoon is a nice place for a stay.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's your one post on a question about safely creating a shooting area? :killingme Perhaps you should consider moving to one of the countries that don't allow guns. Let's see, according to the web, "With a confirmed firearm possession rate of 5.6 private guns per 100 population, civilian gun ownership in Ireland has yet to reach one-third the rate of 17.4 firearms per 100 people calculated across 15 countries of the European Union. In a 2007 UN survey, 12.4 per cent of Irish respondents reported that they, or someone else in their household owned a firearm or an air rifle.

It has been estimated that as many as 150,000 unregistered firearms might also be in private possession in Ireland, suggesting a total civilian stockpile of 393,000. If true, this would yield a rate of 9.1 private firearms per 100 population, both legal and illegal."

Warsaw, Poland's climate is very similar to ours and it is very difficult to get a weapons permit except for hunting. Iceland has similar rules but the climate is less enjoyable, however, their blue lagoon is a nice place for a stay.

Very true, only danger is if you wander around chasing the best water, you can end up stranded for a while by the currents of hotter water.