Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

Clem72

Using standard 802.11ac Multi-User MIMO and multi-channel range extension. It's better than one router....because it's three.

Not sure this gets you more than a single decent router placed in a central location (like my ASUS AC68U). My home is three levels and just over 5k finished space (including basement) and a single router in the basement covers everything except the far side of the garage (a concrete wall and concrete floor in LOS probably contribute to that). I moved the router to the closet in a second floor bedroom and I not only get full strength coverage for my entire house/basement, but also in my shed and decent coverage to the end of my street.

I am able to simultaneously stream from multiple devices (including right next to each other) and easily max out my 105mbit Metrocast connection.

SamSpade

I've probably asked this before, but maybe not this way...

Now that I've had lots of streaming channels and experimented with a few, there's definitely some I won't be bothering with and some I will keep.

I'll keep the ones I'm already paying for - Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. Amazon, I get with Prime anyway, so there's no point in not keeping it.
I'm ok with Pandora, just not going to pay for the upgrade.
Free things on YouTube, I'll keep.

Can't afford Sling yet along with everything else. Ditto Vue, although despite their announcement to push out to all Roku devices, it hasn't arrived yet on mine.

I'll probably keep stuff like Vudu and Fandango, just because it's more selection for movies on demand, but their prices seldom differ much.

But nothing else says "keep me". They're fun to watch sometimes, but I just don't see anything that keeps my interest. All the news streaming channels I get, none of them are live - they have clips from the regular cable, but it's not like watching it live or nearly live. Same with the sports channels I see - I'm not interested in watching last week's football game.

So---

What do you like? What's on your "gotta have" list?

Clem72

Seems like you have the basics covered. Hulu+, Netflix, Prime. If you need access to the web content of specific networks that aren't on Hulu (looking at you CBS) then Plex is a good alternative.

As for news, US news is mostly not-live, though you can get some on your Roku using the buggy Pluto channel. You can also get live streams from non-US news sources (CBC, Sky News, etc.) but those are of limited interest to most US viewers (unless you really like soccer).

SamSpade

Seems like you have the basics covered. Hulu+, Netflix, Prime. If you need access to the web content of specific networks that aren't on Hulu (looking at you CBS) then Plex is a good alternative.

I've been looking a little at Plex, but I'm confused - it's not a streaming service? What is it? I can't figure out what it is from their site, and I'm not signing on to anything without a better idea.

Is it just an app that organizes my channels? What does it do?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I've been looking a little at Plex, but I'm confused - it's not a streaming service? What is it? I can't figure out what it is from their site, and I'm not signing on to anything without a better idea.

I looked at Plex too. It just seems to organize all your media so it's all in one place. I think.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My husband signed up for Sling and so far he loves it... so much so that he has told me to cut our relationship w/DTV but since they gave me a $35.00 off discount until the end of the year, I'll just hold on.

My husband got orange and blue (or whatever color both packages are) and the epix movie channels for $44.95 a month. He loves the fact he can watch it anywhere and with him having free access to wifi, that is worth it for him. I, on the otherhand, can barely get paper for my office and free wifi will NEVER happen in my time.

My fuzzy math... (okay, it might be spot on)

$12 Netflix
$ 8 Hulu
$15 HBO
$45 Sling
------------
$80

DTV w/o a discount was at or over $100 for a mid-range package and no HBO. It isn't a huge savings but it is just better content and portable.

We also have an OTA that picks up 4, 5, 7, 9, 14, 20, 50 and 66 plus some sub channels in betwen. It is hit or miss with PBS but they have a free app. :yay:

awpitt

Main Streeter
My husband signed up for Sling and so far he loves it... so much so that he has told me to cut our relationship w/DTV but since they gave me a $35.00 off discount until the end of the year, I'll just hold on.

My husband got orange and blue (or whatever color both packages are) and the epix movie channels for $44.95 a month. He loves the fact he can watch it anywhere and with him having free access to wifi, that is worth it for him. I, on the otherhand, can barely get paper for my office and free wifi will NEVER happen in my time.

My fuzzy math... (okay, it might be spot on)

$12 Netflix
$ 8 Hulu
$15 HBO
$45 Sling
------------
$80

DTV w/o a discount was at or over $100 for a mid-range package and no HBO. It isn't a huge savings but it is just better content and portable.

We also have an OTA that picks up 4, 5, 7, 9, 14, 20, 50 and 66 plus some sub channels in betwen. It is hit or miss with PBS but they have a free app. :yay:

I just signed up for Sling. Orange & Blue. I'm liking it so far. I'm going to cancel my CATV and keep Internet but I'll probably up my bandwidth. So it'll be $45 (Sling), 7.50 (Amazon Prime) and $80 (Internet). $132 mo. down from $220.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I just signed up for Sling. Orange & Blue. I'm liking it so far. I'm going to cancel my CATV and keep Internet but I'll probably up my bandwidth. So it'll be $45 (Sling), 7.50 (Amazon Prime) and $80 (Internet). $132 mo. down from $220.

They added several college sports channels within the last few days and although Comcast Sportsnet isn't available yet, they are advertising it is coming. I understand that the deal has been made and the agreement/contract is being finalized. Now I don't know if you have watched anything on Vinceland yet but they have some pretty interesting shows.

I always forget about Prime because my 1st thought with Prime is free shipping, hence the reason we have it. The media streaming and ability to purchase shows is just a benefit of that.

We also have an over the air antenna - Channel Master 4V that gives us pretty great channels. I'm actually fond of Me TV.

awpitt

Main Streeter
They added several college sports channels within the last few days and although Comcast Sportsnet isn't available yet, they are advertising it is coming. I understand that the deal has been made and the agreement/contract is being finalized. Now I don't know if you have watched anything on Vinceland yet but they have some pretty interesting shows.

I always forget about Prime because my 1st thought with Prime is free shipping, hence the reason we have it. The media streaming and ability to purchase shows is just a benefit of that.

We also have an over the air antenna - Channel Master 4V that gives us pretty great channels. I'm actually fond of Me TV.

Yeah... Prime has a lot of "free" movies. I recently watched W and Elvis & Nixon. I haven't watched Vinceland yet but will take a look. I'm hoping there will be regular season NFL games available.

SamSpade

OTA? How big is your antenna? I'd rather not have anything above the roof.

Clem72

Plex is free (except for the viewer on mobile platforms) so no need to signing up to anything. It was primarily a way to organize and view local media but expanded (through "Channels") to allow for streaming web specific content to other devices like your Roku. And the new update adds DVR capability for computers with a TV tuner/OTA antenna.

The whole thing is a fork of XBMC that has some unique and specialized features, most of which originally focused around re-encoding on the fly to serve multiple outputs from one source video.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
OTA? How big is your antenna? I'd rather not have anything above the roof.

I have the Clear Stream :doh:

This one--- and it isn't big
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antenna...lver/6761173.p?id=1219238019916&skuId=6761173

I have it plugged into a Channel Master amp booster thing. I only connected mine to 2 TVs although I could have connected 4 but Southern Maryland is already battling the fact we are far from towers and by going the distance of 4 TVs, I lost signal strength.

Even with that said, I am only pulling in 52-77 percent on the channels I am picking up at this time because the dog days of summer are the worst time for signal strength.

Clem72

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/antenna...lver/6761173.p?id=1219238019916&skuId=6761173

I have it plugged into a Channel Master amp booster thing. I only connected mine to 2 TVs although I could have connected 4 but Southern Maryland is already battling the fact we are far from towers and by going the distance of 4 TVs, I lost signal strength.

Even with that said, I am only pulling in 52-77 percent on the channels I am picking up at this time because the dog days of summer are the worst time for signal strength.

As we aren't spoiled for OTA channels down here, you might be able to make use of a European high gain antenna. In the US we have a 6mhz channel spacing, but most countries in the EU use 8mhz so they can run higher gain without worry of co-channel interference. Since we don't have too many adjacent channels, you could run one without issue.

SamSpade

Does that mean you have it mounted outside? I am not sure I believe any indoor antenna would work down here.

SamSpade

If you like sling try out Vue, more channels and a cloud based DVR.

It *JUST* came on our Roku TV. May try it out soon.

Does anyone have a favorite streaming online original series? We've just finished Season 1 of House of Cards, and we like it - but finding ones we both like isn't easy.
I usually like sci-fi, horror and Marvel character series. On the other hand, I could barely make it through a whole season of Penny Dreadful before simply falling asleep each episode.
(And I'm fortunate to have my wife watch the other shows with me, because I'm painfully bad at remembering important details about minor characters and plot lines - and she's extremely good at it).

I've started searching for reviews across the spectrum of channels. After a LONG teaser for Orange is the New Black, we're both convinced we wouldn't like it.
I absolutely loved The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, but then I like all of the original author's work.

What gems have you uncovered? It can be a hard sell to transition to cable cutting when there's not much to go to.