Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

somdfunguy

not impressed
Netflix - Jessica Jones, Dare Devil, Master of None, Bloodline, House of Cards, Narcos (season 2 just released), Flaked, F is For Family, The Killing, Last Chance U

Amazon - Hand of God, Red Oaks, Catastrophe

SamSpade

Netflix - Jessica Jones, Dare Devil, Master of None, Bloodline, House of Cards, Narcos (season 2 just released), Flaked, F is For Family, The Killing, Last Chance U

Amazon - Hand of God, Red Oaks, Catastrophe

Thanks. Seen all the Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Bloodline and starting House of Cards.

Only seen Man in the High Castle on Amazon. I'll take a look at the others.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I watched the Yankees vs Blue Jays live last night (No cable). I could have watched any of the games but I’m holding out hope for the Yankees still this season. :ohwell:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
It *JUST* came on our Roku TV. May try it out soon.

Does anyone have a favorite streaming online original series? We've just finished Season 1 of House of Cards, and we like it - but finding ones we both like isn't easy.
I usually like sci-fi, horror and Marvel character series. On the other hand, I could barely make it through a whole season of Penny Dreadful before simply falling asleep each episode.
(And I'm fortunate to have my wife watch the other shows with me, because I'm painfully bad at remembering important details about minor characters and plot lines - and she's extremely good at it).

I've started searching for reviews across the spectrum of channels. After a LONG teaser for Orange is the New Black, we're both convinced we wouldn't like it.
I absolutely loved The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, but then I like all of the original author's work.

What gems have you uncovered? It can be a hard sell to transition to cable cutting when there's not much to go to.

You sound like you'd like 'The Night Of' on HBO. They just aired the last episode last week so you should be able to view all episodes. It's an 8-part miniseries crime drama based on Criminal Justice. I've only caught parts of some episodes here or there though. My guy discovered it when I was away one weekend and kept watching it without me bc he was too impatient and obsessed to wait for me to catch up! :cussing: It's on my list though. He was pretty enthralled.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401256/

somdfunguy

not impressed
Thanks. Seen all the Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Bloodline and starting House of Cards.

Only seen Man in the High Castle on Amazon. I'll take a look at the others.

I forgot about Stranger Things on Netflix. Good old 80s science fiction style show/movie.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If you like sling try out Vue, more channels and a cloud based DVR.

I just did the 7 day trial of Sling. I'm trying Vue next then will decide. Only concern I have about Vue is that It won't allow me to watch stuff on my phone or tablet because I'm using Chrome Cast. They restrict that for some reason.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I just finished watching Shameless (and it certainly is that) on Netflix. If you want to feel better about yourself as a human being, that's the show to watch. I can't count how many times I thought I couldn't stand it anymore, but oddly finished season 6 episode 12 today. If you have kids, wait until they go to bed, it's definitely rated R or NR.

I forgot about Stranger Things on Netflix. Good old 80s science fiction style show/movie.

I loved Stranger Things!

Sam, I'm not overly fond of the nerdy-type of sci-fi like Star Trek and the like, but I liked this show. Maybe your wife would watch this one with you.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I just finished watching Shameless (and it certainly is that) on Netflix. If you want to feel better about yourself as a human being, that's the show to watch. I can't count how many times I thought I couldn't stand it anymore, but oddly finished season 6 episode 12 today. If you have kids, wait until they go to bed, it's definitely rated R or NR.

I loved Stranger Things!

Sam, I'm not overly fond of the nerdy-type of sci-fi like Star Trek and the like, but I liked this show. Maybe your wife would watch this one with you.

I love nerdy sci-fi and found Stranger Things enjoyable to the most extent even though my inner geek was slightly disappointed.

Thanks for the recommendation on "Shameless." I was looking for another series. :yay:

Now I have a question I am hoping someone can answer. I connected a tuner to our xbox and found the tuner to be far better than what is in our Sharp TV. The wonderful thing about the xbox tuner is the guide. I can see what is coming on all week and can pause over the air TV and back it up a little if I need to. This comes in handy because I am damn near deaf. :ohwell:

Now the bad part. Channel 14.1 for us in our local area is Univision which comes in crystal clear in Spanish. 14.2 is Get TV, 14.3 GRIT, and 14.4 Escape. I always get 14.1 in clearly with the xbox tuner but only 1 of the 3 channels (14.2, 14.3 or 14.4) comes in at one time. Say for instance, I can see and hear 14.3. I will hear sound but get a message saying it is encrypted on 14.2 and 14.4. It really is the strangest thing because these channels all come in at the same time on all the other tuners in my house. Anyone have any insight? :shrug:

I have zero issues with other channels and in fact gained several going from 46 to 51 with the xbox tuner but no murder TV like I get with Escape.

SamSpade

I loved Stranger Things!

Saw it. Loved it.

SamSpade

I'm looking forward to the Panthers Broncos game live tonight. :yahoo:

What do you use to watch stuff live? I tried casting a live game from my laptop to my screen, but the buffering crap made it useless.
Admittedly, my casting is limited by the laptop - so I'd have to have an actual streaming channel to make it worth my while.

I'd pay for a channel IF ONLY to make sure I always saw the Ravens. No blackouts.

somdfunguy

not impressed
My favorite app lately has been MLB.TV. I've been watching games almost every night. I have truly missed that since I left my hometown.

What do you use to watch stuff live? I tried casting a live game from my laptop to my screen, but the buffering crap made it useless.
Admittedly, my casting is limited by the laptop - so I'd have to have an actual streaming channel to make it worth my while.

If you are using WiFi, try connecting directly to the router via Cat5 cable. WiFi does not provide the throughput you might think, especially if there are other devices in the house on the same frequency (portable phones, other laptops, etc...)

awpitt

Main Streeter
I though this might be of interest....

[h=2]The days of renting pricey cable boxes to watch your favorite TV shows could be coming to an end.[/h] Tom Wheeler, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, put forward a final set of proposed rules on Thursday that would require large cable and satellite TV companies to make their content available in apps on competing devices.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/technology/fcc-set-top-proposal/index.html

SamSpade

Yeah, I saw that. I wonder what the eventual outcome will be? Right now with Metrocast, renting the little teeny boxes is almost nothing, and they let us use, what, two, for free?
Our expense comes more from the DVR rentals, and even if we replace them with units we own - we still have to pay for the service that allows them to be of any use to us.

The DVR ones also give us the means to record shows - which, honestly, we never watch anything "live" except sports - and to purchase On Demand. Additionally, they do keep a small number of TV shows in their queue should you fail to record something.
That, and the whole house DVR is kind of convenient - watch one place, pick it up elsewhere.

Did you already try Vue? Doesn't it have like, Cloud DVR or something? How did you like it?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yeah, I saw that. I wonder what the eventual outcome will be? Right now with Metrocast, renting the little teeny boxes is almost nothing, and they let us use, what, two, for free?
Our expense comes more from the DVR rentals, and even if we replace them with units we own - we still have to pay for the service that allows them to be of any use to us.

The DVR ones also give us the means to record shows - which, honestly, we never watch anything "live" except sports - and to purchase On Demand. Additionally, they do keep a small number of TV shows in their queue should you fail to record something.
That, and the whole house DVR is kind of convenient - watch one place, pick it up elsewhere.

Did you already try Vue? Doesn't it have like, Cloud DVR or something? How did you like it?

Haven't tried Vue yet. I'm going to start the free trial after the weekend because I'm going to be gone. Since I have Chrome Casts, Vue won't allow me to watch away from my house and they do have a cloud DVR feature.

SamSpade

Haven't tried Vue yet. I'm going to start the free trial after the weekend because I'm going to be gone. Since I have Chrome Casts, Vue won't allow me to watch away from my house and they do have a cloud DVR feature.

So far, watching "away from home" isn't much of a consideration, since:

1. I'm honestly not "away from home" all that much, and if I am, I'm on vacation and REALLY should do something other than watch TV and
2. If I'm riding the bus to work or using my cell - pretty sure I'm using Verizon's data package, and can't afford to consume every single bit of data I'm allotted.

I mean - what I'd love - is

1. A package or set of packages that gives me the Big 4 - FOX included - the CW - a handful of popular networks like TNT, USA, A&E, SyFy, BBC America.
2. Live TV for local stuff - news, weather, and so on.
3. DVR capable. Really - I never watch shows when they're on.
4. Sports - live. Local. I don't want to watch anyone else's teams, and I don't want to watch the game the next day.

So far, no SINGLE source gives me all of them, but I'm patient.

awpitt

Main Streeter

1. I'm honestly not "away from home" all that much, and if I am, I'm on vacation and REALLY should do something other than watch TV and
2. If I'm riding the bus to work or using my cell - pretty sure I'm using Verizon's data package, and can't afford to consume every single bit of data I'm allotted.

1. A package or set of packages that gives me the Big 4 - FOX included - the CW - a handful of popular networks like TNT, USA, A&E, SyFy, BBC America.
4. Sports - live. Local. I don't want to watch anyone else's teams, and I don't want to watch the game the next day.

That's exactly what I'm finding. Seems like I can't find everything I want in one place.

PeoplesElbow

PeoplesElbow

CBS's own streaming service is going to have to fail before they will cooperate.