Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

PeoplesElbow

Okay, I'm too lazy to read through this entire thread, so here goes. Got an email about the all new Amazon Fire Stick that is being released on 10/20. Any thoughts?? I'm definitely "this close" to cutting the cable cord and would appreciate any feedback. I'm a Prime member, and it's supposed to have additional content for Prime members. Good deal? Worth it? At $39.99, seems like it is.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDK...&pf_rd_p=da5f214b-5370-438b-b832-5319bfa1fa52

It has a very slick interface, but you can do more with a Roku stick for $50. I have experience with both of them. The Roku stick lets you access more content than Amazon does.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ku-streaming-stick-vs-amazon-fire-tv-stick/3/

The one place I watch a lot of movies from with my Roku that the Amazon doesn't let you is Google Play, they are sometimes cheaper off Google than Amazon.

SamSpade

This weekend I tried to set up the Playstation Vue channel trial - and - well, I couldn't get it to work.

When I go to the channel, it tells me that I need an activation code from my PC or phone. Fine. I give all the information, create an account and put in the activation code.
Error. Wouldn't activate. Guessing it had a little to do with the fact that I hadn't PAID them, I went to my account.

Well of course. But I couldn't find any path that led to a free trial period. How do I find that?

awpitt

Main Streeter
This weekend I tried to set up the Playstation Vue channel trial - and - well, I couldn't get it to work.

When I go to the channel, it tells me that I need an activation code from my PC or phone. Fine. I give all the information, create an account and put in the activation code.
Error. Wouldn't activate. Guessing it had a little to do with the fact that I hadn't PAID them, I went to my account.

Well of course. But I couldn't find any path that led to a free trial period. How do I find that?

When you click the "Start Free Trail" icon, it wants you to log into your Playstation Network account. If you don't have one, it allows you to create one then you go on to sign up for the trial.

belvak

Happy Camper

mitzi

Okay, I'm too lazy to read through this entire thread, so here goes. Got an email about the all new Amazon Fire Stick that is being released on 10/20. Any thoughts?? I'm definitely "this close" to cutting the cable cord and would appreciate any feedback. I'm a Prime member, and it's supposed to have additional content for Prime members. Good deal? Worth it? At $39.99, seems like it is.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDK...&pf_rd_p=da5f214b-5370-438b-b832-5319bfa1fa52

I'm hoping to find answers here too. I want to know what stations I will get. The site lists some top names and "more". What is "more". They should have a channel guide or something for people to do more research. Also, for signing in with your cable company name to watch shows. Does it mean you have to have tv cable or will your internet provider being your cable company qualify for access. I want to make the switch but concerned about missing my shows. I watch a lot of the network shows. I've always watched local news and weather and am assuming I will lose that. Who has the Firestick that can give me the pros and cons. I guess that's what I should have asked in my first sentence lol.

PeoplesElbow

I'm hoping to find answers here too. I want to know what stations I will get. The site lists some top names and "more". What is "more". They should have a channel guide or something for people to do more research. Also, for signing in with your cable company name to watch shows. Does it mean you have to have tv cable or will your internet provider being your cable company qualify for access. I want to make the switch but concerned about missing my shows. I watch a lot of the network shows. I've always watched local news and weather and am assuming I will lose that. Who has the Firestick that can give me the pros and cons. I guess that's what I should have asked in my first sentence lol.

"channels" are what some would call apps, ie there is a SlingTV channel, a Netflix channel, etc that you can download, some you need accounts for and some you don't. Some cable companies such as metrocast don't work with certian streaming channels (AMC most notably).

I am going to talk about SlingTV because that is what I use so I know about it, you have some local channels, I get Fox 5 WTTG and NBC 4. www.sling.com

Amozon has premimum channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz that you pay extra for if you want them. By and more, I suspect they mean some of the obscure stuff like the box fan noise channel (yes that is real) and 1950's SciFi B movie channel etc. The main ones you will be interested in are the Amazon content, Netflix, Hulu, Sling, NBC, ABC, FXNow, Crackle, etc, basicially the stuff that is in the picture on this page. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDK...&pf_rd_p=da5f214b-5370-438b-b832-5319bfa1fa52

mitzi

"channels" are what some would call apps, ie there is a SlingTV channel, a Netflix channel, etc that you can download, some you need accounts for and some you don't. Some cable companies such as metrocast don't work with certian streaming channels (AMC most notably).

I am going to talk about SlingTV because that is what I use so I know about it, you have some local channels, I get Fox 5 WTTG and NBC 4. www.sling.com

Amozon has premimum channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz that you pay extra for if you want them. By and more, I suspect they mean some of the obscure stuff like the box fan noise channel (yes that is real) and 1950's SciFi B movie channel etc. The main ones you will be interested in are the Amazon content, Netflix, Hulu, Sling, NBC, ABC, FXNow, Crackle, etc, basicially the stuff that is in the picture on this page. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZV9RDK...&pf_rd_p=da5f214b-5370-438b-b832-5319bfa1fa52

Thank you! I was concerned about losing Fox5 and ABC. Thanks for the Amazon link. I was looking for info and must have overlooked this link. Thanks for your help.

PeoplesElbow

Thank you! I was concerned about losing Fox5 and ABC. Thanks for the Amazon link. I was looking for info and must have overlooked this link. Thanks for your help.

There are only a few things I miss, I save over $100 a month now and my TV is portable. I can take my laptop or tablet on travel with me and watch it as long as I have wifi. Happy cord cutter.

mitzi

There are only a few things I miss, I save over $100 a month now and my TV is portable. I can take my laptop or tablet on travel with me and watch it as long as I have wifi. Happy cord cutter.

I'm looking to cut this bill. Like many others have said here, I pay for so many channels I don't even watch just to get the few I do watch. One more question, I'm assuming I can watch my shows anytime so no need for the dvr anymore.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I swore I read something about Roku coming out w/a new box that would allow an OTA antenna connection...

if not, they need to work on that.

I have been trying to use the xbox like a roku and frankly, I like my roku better but like the guide I can get on the xbox.

Since my last listing on what I subscribe to, we added the commercial free Hulu and Showtime and decreased the Sling package.

I actually like that new show "This Is Us" which can be found on Hulu if you missed it when it originally aired on NBC (I think) and I LOVED "Shameless," hence the reason I picked up Showtime.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Let me ask everyone this, what price do you think is fair for a cable subscription?

My husband feels that everything should be available to a customer for $50 a month, no more... and that the package should include HBO & Showtime and OnDemand.

PeoplesElbow

I'm looking to cut this bill. Like many others have said here, I pay for so many channels I don't even watch just to get the few I do watch. One more question, I'm assuming I can watch my shows anytime so no need for the dvr anymore.

Depends on the individual channel with Sling, FX, and AMC let you watch on demand stuff, TNT and TBS are what is on live only. There are also a couple only one demand channels such as FXX and El Rey.

Someone on here says Playstation Vue includes DVR service, but it is also more expensive.

PeoplesElbow

Let me ask everyone this, what price do you think is fair for a cable subscription?

My husband feels that everything should be available to a customer for $50 a month, no more... and that the package should include HBO & Showtime and OnDemand.

I was going to say $50 without premium channels or DVR, $75 with a DVR and some premium channels such as Starz and NFL network.

SamSpade

I can't believe I never bothered to look before, but the CW has its own streaming channel - and it's up to date (as in, it will show last night's show).
There are commercials but at least it's free.

Now I know they show their stuff on their website, but who wants to watch TV on their computer?

BTW - when the channel loaded, it said it was adding to the Hulu channel - even though Hulu doesn't carry the CW.
I wonder what that was all about?

Clem72

I was going to say $50 without premium channels or DVR, $75 with a DVR and some premium channels such as Starz and NFL network.

DVR or on demand? I see no reason why the monthly rate should increase just because I purchased a more expensive receiver with DVR capabilities (or a separate unit like a Tivo)

Clem72

BTW - when the channel loaded, it said it was adding to the Hulu channel - even though Hulu doesn't carry the CW.
I wonder what that was all about?

Not sure about this specific instance, but several networks that don't put their content on the greater Hulu use Hulu's underlying service/networks to distribute their stuff.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I see no reason why the monthly rate should increase just because I purchased a more expensive receiver with DVR capabilities

:shrug:

why are there DVRs still ?

everthing going across cable is digitized - before or during live broadcast

when you click a 'I want to record this' show button, it should place a flag on the file under your account on the storage array so you can watch it later

having to distribute DVRS with hard drives to record shows is ludicrous
- fine charge more for the ability to flag tv content for further viewing .... stop with the crappy recording technology
- we know with the 'broadcast flag' content providers can already expire shows on the company DVRS

SamSpade

:shrug:

why are there DVRs still ?

everthing going across cable is digitized - before or during live broadcast

when you click a 'I want to record this' show button, it should place a flag on the file under your account on the storage array so you can watch it later

having to distribute DVRS with hard drives to record shows is ludicrous
- fine charge more for the ability to flag tv content for further viewing .... stop with the crappy recording technology
- we know with the 'broadcast flag' content providers can already expire shows on the company DVRS

How would you do the halting and restarting live tv? For instance, you're going to watch the football game, but about 15 minutes late - ?
How would you back up a live broadcast, because you missed what they were discussing?
Suppose - as happens OFTEN with us - you want to watch a regular show, but - it's not over yet? Or better yet, a movie?
This happens ALL the time with us.

Also, on free preview weekends, we record tons of stuff to watch later. I'm going out on a limb and thinking, that free material
WON'T be available once the free-view ends.

Lastly - we sometimes save content for a LONG time - sometimes, after the season, so we can binge-watch.
Most online storage only stores a few weeks' worth.

If *everything* was always available all the time no matter what channel, I can see the reason for dropping DVR's but I don't think providers are there yet.

PeoplesElbow

I like having stuff offline, I go out on ships occasionally and there are long stretches of boredom out there. With amazon prime it allows me to download prime content to view offline. I wish more things would do this, no interwebz or cable out there and the minimal TV service is bad at best.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If *everything* was always available all the time no matter what channel, I can see the reason for dropping DVR's but I don't think providers are there yet.

yes, but I am almost 100% sure all of that live stuff, gets recorded digitally now
.... maybe not your 5 pm news
... all of the sports games, they used to go to video tape

now digital cameras record everything ....

as far as regular TV shows ... that all is pre recorded, I doubt seriously any Cable or Broadcast Channel is still using 1 inch Video Tape

most of the is obvious, many TV shows are available available either on the Channels website the day after it is broadcast or On-Demand for x number of weeks

Dark Matter popped up on Netfliks the day after the last episode aired on the SciFi Channel .....

[yes of course we are talking massive server farms of computers to do this ....]