Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

Pete

Repete
With the 4V we pick up, 4, 5, 7 , 9, 20 and 50 (plus) and as the crow flies, we are not all that much closer to the towers. :shrug:

Actually, I am very surprised we pick up as well as we do being so far from the towers.

My husband about tripped over the clearstream 4V at best buy as an open box special. We opened it up, made sure everything was in the box and hoped for the best. After we checked out, we ran to the car like we stole it; it was that good of a deal.

There is a Facebook page called "Cord Cutting Tech Support" that I have found very helpful with over 20K + people as members.
I got the 2V the same way. Honestly if I could get 4, 5, 7 and 9 I would call it good. Unfortunately 7 and 9 are VHF and I don't get them at all. I get 5 good and 4 sometimes. I might go and get a 4V. I can't decide

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Dish has been out about an hour for us due to the weather but my OTA is still working clearly. :cheers:

That is why I have always said that even if you don't use your OTA for the intended purpose (to completely cut the cord), it still has a valuable purpose.

Hopefully we keep internet but I have doubts.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Awesome. I have a 32" Samsung TV I got last month and bought the Roku Premiere last week at Wally World for $60 - totally impressed with them both! Now add this free channel plus all the other ones. And I already had a subscription to Netflix and it was so easy setting that up on Roku. I am set! :yay:

PlutoTV is another one I like - it works with my OTA and gives me a few extra channels. Many 24/7 news channels.

Hulu just changed their interface and I hate it. :ohwell:

It makes my head hurt and the background is just too light for viewing. I don't see a way to change the settings and a search online shows many unhappy people with this change.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
PlutoTV is another one I like - it works with my OTA and gives me a few extra channels. Many 24/7 news channels.

I briefly looked at PlutoTV the other night and was impressed with the variety of options - for FREE!

Hulu just changed their interface and I hate it. :ohwell:

It makes my head hurt and the background is just too light for viewing. I don't see a way to change the settings and a search online shows many unhappy people with this change.

It looks interesting, but I don't know if it is worth me having two paid subscription services as I rarely stop long enough to watch anything. I think Hulu has a free trial period so I may try it out eventually. :lol:

Clem72

The new Hulu interface is to facilitate the use of their streaming TV service. I agree that it sucks, FF/RW no longer shows a preview, it's hard to see what is selected, they no longer show original airdate, and finding anything except for the latest episode or last unwatched episode of a series is a hassle.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Svengoolie :singer:

Some people were rather pissed METV changed Svengoolie to a new time on the East Coast. They moved the time from 10 p.m to 8 p.m. but they said last week was the highest amount of viewers in history. Now granted, they showed Frankenstein but still.

Now for other OTA people in our area, I was having trouble with channels 7 and 9 for nearly 2 weeks. I changed the amp but learned the amp wasn't a problem. This past weekend everything returned to normal and it seems 7 and 9 have better signals.

I was wondering if other OTA peeps noticed a signal loss on those channels?

I still have satellite TV (Dish) on just 1 TV. My husband couldn't live with just OTA and likes the fact he can use his phone to view while working his odd ball hours. I am the one who is totally fine with just OTA.

Last edited:
I wasn't pissed, but just forgot. Tuned in tonight at the tail end of WereWolf.

My antenna is UHF only, so I don't get 7/9 as they are VHF. Can't verify that for ya. But I have noticed that all channels have been a bit weak recently. Might be a change in the atmosphere as winter is approaching. Should get better soon.

Pete

Repete
2 months without cable or direct tv and we are loving it. We catch football on Hulu live and stream other local stations. We cannot stream ABC because they have some retarded licensing thing going on and only allow streaming live TV in about 20 markets like Des Moines and Cleveland but Hulu carries football games carried on ABC anyway.

The antenna is a bust. It may pick up a couple channels one day, none the next and 20 the day after. Too hit or miss to be considered reliable.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I wasn't pissed, but just forgot. Tuned in tonight at the tail end of WereWolf.

My antenna is UHF only, so I don't get 7/9 as they are VHF. Can't verify that for ya. But I have noticed that all channels have been a bit weak recently. Might be a change in the atmosphere as winter is approaching. Should get better soon.
I think they did it because us East Coast people are the highest viewers.

7 and 9 are back. It makes me wonder if PeakeNet's antennas could have been causing some issues as they get themselves set up. Our signal looks like it has increased on some channels but again, that could be the cooler temps.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
2 months without cable or direct tv and we are loving it. We catch football on Hulu live and stream other local stations. We cannot stream ABC because they have some retarded licensing thing going on and only allow streaming live TV in about 20 markets like Des Moines and Cleveland but Hulu carries football games carried on ABC anyway.

The antenna is a bust. It may pick up a couple channels one day, none the next and 20 the day after. Too hit or miss to be considered reliable.

2 months is great - the hard part is over.

I love stream watching because it is better content. That mindless surfing is a huge time sucker.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We cut the cord today. We went with DirectTV last Oct when we moved to Olney. It was 100 a month, and they said that in a year, when time for renewal, there would be a promo. Well, our year is up, and our bill went up to 150; and we called; they said sorry no promo at this time. So bye. We were cut off tonight at midnight, have to pay 220 in early termination. Went with Hulu for 40 a month. So far we like it. And, as others have said, change gets some getting used to. We can put these monopolies out of biz, one customer at a time. I have lots of books I should have been reading, anyway. Also, it never took much to knock out our connection, as far as weather, and all. See ya, DTV!

There are so many choices out there now. Legal and illegal. We went with legal. Illegal is cheaper, but you know how that goes. The initial investment for sticks and boxes cost us, but in 4 months we will break even, and then be paying 100 less a month. Hope this helps y'all to decide what to do.

When we first moved to Calvert, there was no cable in our area. Comcast finally got there and it was great. Then, every Dec, their bill would show an increase for nothing changed in what we were getting. I fought them every year, and would get some reduction in price, but not great. When we moved, Comcast wanted to charge us the termination fee, also. My argument was we were loyal customers for 16 years; payments on time, etc. They should have never messed with me on that. I didn't back down, and they took the termination fee off. Small victories. Couldn't make that argument with DTV. Moving on, now, to more independence. Hub and I were talking tonight that we, obviously, were not the only people in America, today, that cut the cord. Good luck, monopolies. Your days are numbered.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

So on Sling or NBC Sports app, can you watch hockey???

Depending on which sling package you have you will have either FS1, FS2 and local Fox affiliate or ESPN 1 & 2, with both you will get the NBC affiliate in the area and some NBC Sports channels.

What channel carries the hockey games you want to watch is the question?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Depending on which sling package you have you will have either FS1, FS2 and local Fox affiliate or ESPN 1 & 2, with both you will get the NBC affiliate in the area and some NBC Sports channels.

What channel carries the hockey games you want to watch is the question?

At one time, Sling was going to get Comcast Sportsnet but it seemed like it was never going to happen so I was curious if they did get that channel and if people could watch the local caps play???

I just don't want to sign back up and be disappointed. :ohwell:

SamSpade

https://try.philo.com/

^Reviews are excellent on this new streaming service. I did the 48 hour viewing special and thought it was very good.

Funny I just ran across that this morning while browsing streaming channels on the Roku.
What makes these kinds of packages appealing is either

1. They can REPLACE cable or
2. They are cheap enough to try, because they offer original content or some other advantage - like live sports during a local blackout.

Most of these - can't - because most of the stuff we watch is on the major networks.
While it's interesting, it's not worth the cost, to me.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Okay - for Ruko TV people, check your updates. Roku has been pushing out their latest update that enables you to see a TV guide for current and future.

Settings, system, system update... to check if it is available to you yet.

On Facebook, a great page for the latest 411 is "Cord Cutting Tech Support." With about 30K members, you do get to see the latest news.

Right now the new hot topic I have been seeing a great deal about is 5G.