Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Funny I just ran across that this morning while browsing streaming channels on the Roku.
What makes these kinds of packages appealing is either

1. They can REPLACE cable or
2. They are cheap enough to try, because they offer original content or some other advantage - like live sports during a local blackout.

Most of these - can't - because most of the stuff we watch is on the major networks.
While it's interesting, it's not worth the cost, to me.

Yep. I know what you mean but for a non sports watcher, it is worth it and cheap when you don't want to buy the cable package to get channels.

About 2 years ago, many of my employees found the cable was no longer going to be included in their monthly rent. :ohwell: So they come to me for a run down of options. I just had 1 cave in and get the cable package though but he's a big sports watcher so the year he went without was very difficult.

Most of my employees are transplants here working their way up to something better and don't want any commitments that keep them tied down to this area. :lol:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My latest streaming recommendation is "The Crown" on Netflix. 2 seasons so great binge watching when you have nasty, cold, wet weather outside and your a winter wimp.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
My latest streaming recommendation is "The Crown" on Netflix. 2 seasons so great binge watching when you have nasty, cold, wet weather outside and your a winter wimp.

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW.

but then again, since my family was stationed in England in the late 90s, I have a deep soft spot in my heart for British history...and now thanks to Netflix: British comedies and dramas!

lucky_bee

RBF expert

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW.

but then again, since my family was stationed in England in the late 90s, I have a deep soft spot in my heart for British history...and now thanks to Netflix: British comedies and dramas!

PeoplesElbow

I just got done watching both seasons of Frontier on Netflix, I can't wait till season 3.

awpitt

Main Streeter
How does everyone feel about the repeal of Net Neutrality and how it will impact "cord cutting"?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
How does everyone feel about the repeal of Net Neutrality and how it will impact "cord cutting"?

I was actually FOR the repeal honestly. It really didn't do what it sounds like it does and whenever the government gets involved in anything, they ruin it.

5G could be a game changer in the future anyway.

As for the "Black TV Box," I would advise to stay away from that. Many of those sites are getting shut down daily due to piracy so...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

Yep, winter wimp and started on this series. So far I am loving it. :yay: I also started watching "Glow" which reminds me of OITNB but based in the wrestling arena. :lol:

For a really disturbing yet fascinating documentary on Netflix, watch "Voyeur". :twitch: http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/01/voyeur-netflix-review/

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I signed up for the youtube TV free 7 day and frankly, it is pretty nice for a sports fan at $35 a month which includes the DVR.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Monthly Services $ 44.99

America's Top 120+ (reg$67.99) $ 49.99 <-- plus has some sports channels my husband wanted

eAutoPay Savings $5x24Mo - $ 5.00

Equipment $ 10.00

Hopper DVR Service $ 15.00

DVR Savings $5x24 Mo - $ 5.00 <---- this goes away if I don't lock into a contract

Monthly Total $ 55.02

Monthly Services $ 44.99
Equipment $ 10.00
FCC Regulatory Fee $ 0.03

^^^ Our Dish Bill - on 1 TV and NO LOCALS
We get our locals over the air with an antenna

Now why when this contract is up in a few months, I am going all stream?

YouTube TV is $35 a month - can be streamed on 6 devices - including Roku - all sports, and locals 4, 5, 7, and 9 plus some other pretty good channels

Philo TV is everything else - $16 a month 3 devices - https://try.philo.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...ZbrWAJkhC2lVa5YPPUuWq16cO3nQt-NMaAkmIEALw_wcB
37 channel plan - Here I have DIY, ID, History channel and some other mindless crap I watch sometimes.

Total - $51.00 a month

more people can stream and both YouTube TV and Philo have DVRs that will save recordings for 30 days.

SamSpade

Monthly Services $ 44.99

America's Top 120+ (reg$67.99) $ 49.99 <-- plus has some sports channels my husband wanted

eAutoPay Savings $5x24Mo - $ 5.00

Equipment $ 10.00

Hopper DVR Service $ 15.00

DVR Savings $5x24 Mo - $ 5.00 <---- this goes away if I don't lock into a contract

Monthly Total $ 55.02

Monthly Services $ 44.99
Equipment $ 10.00
FCC Regulatory Fee $ 0.03

^^^ Our Dish Bill - on 1 TV and NO LOCALS
We get our locals over the air with an antenna

Now why when this contract is up in a few months, I am going all stream?

YouTube TV is $35 a month - can be streamed on 6 devices - including Roku - all sports, and locals 4, 5, 7, and 9 plus some other pretty good channels

Philo TV is everything else - $16 a month 3 devices - https://try.philo.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...ZbrWAJkhC2lVa5YPPUuWq16cO3nQt-NMaAkmIEALw_wcB
37 channel plan - Here I have DIY, ID, History channel and some other mindless crap I watch sometimes.

Total - $51.00 a month

more people can stream and both YouTube TV and Philo have DVRs that will save recordings for 30 days.

This is great. Admittedly, the slow move towards streaming only for my family has been spotty or non-existent coverage of:
1. Live TV
2. DVR availability
3. Major network coverage
4. Convenience (let's face it, having to swap out of one service to another to get one channel ain't fun) and
5. Expand-ability and corresponding pricing.

One of the great things about cable is that basic cable costs very little to expand - although DVR expansion is not.
I've always been annoyed at the idea that costs should be so much more just for having ONE MORE TV
(although I get it for streaming - somewhat - because you're actually increasing bandwidth usage with each device).

Right now, I'm ok with watching something on Netflix - or Amazon - or Hulu - or CBS All Access - or any other streaming channel -
but I can see how it gets confusing. For example when my father in law watches our kids, I can see that he
clicks on ONE streaming channel because he doesn't "get" how it works. Why not? *I* don't always. I forget which channel
on which streaming source the show we want to watch is on. I think what people WANT is one simple interface
to get everything they want - which is what cable offers right now.

It does look to me like YouTube TV just about covers everything already.
Do you know if they have plans to improve or expand?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Out of everything I have tested, which includes Sling, Directv Now, Hulu live - Youtube TV has been the best, in my opinion and with Philo TV to fill in the gaps, it seems like a cable cutters dream & both have DVRs.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Philo TV has a guide now which makes the way it works so much better.

I am still a Youtube TV user and still love it in combination with Philo.

SamSpade

Philo TV has a guide now which makes the way it works so much better.

I am still a Youtube TV user and still love it in combination with Philo.

Curious - looking over the lists - what on Philo to you is worth the 16 bucks a month?

SamSpade

https://try.philo.com/ Animal Planet, History Channel, HGTV - between those we watch a few shows.

My husband is a Deadliest Catch fan and I enjoy some of the true crime/documentary shows.

Well, the reason I asked of course is, I looked at the list. I like those channels - but not enough to pay money for them.
Considering dumping my CBS All Access also - I only got it to watch Star Trek Discovery - and it's only on for a few months
out of the year, and none of the other offerings seem worth it.

SamSpade

Ok, got a Roku for the home office, and so I am experimenting. The office is the test bed for future cord-cutting.

I looked at YouTube TV and Sling - neither one offers all of the networks. I could have sworn they did.
Am I wrong?