Many cutting the cord on cable/satellite

awpitt

Main Streeter
Ok, got a Roku for the home office, and so I am experimenting. The office is the test bed for future cord-cutting.

I looked at YouTube TV and Sling - neither one offers all of the networks. I could have sworn they did.
Am I wrong?

I guess it depends on which networks you want. I know Youtube TV has all of the local DC metro channels. I haven't seen any of the streaming TV services that have every single channel that I want. I guess you have to go with whichever one comes the closest.

SamSpade

You had me wondering for a second there. I had to double check. NBC4, FOX5, WJLA7, and WUSA9.

I have a very basic "must have" list that also includes The CW. All the Arrowverse shows and so on (except Supergirl - too PC).
That, plus USA, TNT, TBS, SyFy and BBC America, and that is almost every show we watch.
Now that we're used to streaming other channels, I could do without a lot of regular cable offers.
We just have too much stuff we want. Wife and I still have to START binging Outlander and Man in the High Castle for the latest season.

I'd REALLY like Baltimore channels, if only to get Ravens when they're not on locally.

PeoplesElbow

Ok, got a Roku for the home office, and so I am experimenting. The office is the test bed for future cord-cutting.

I looked at YouTube TV and Sling - neither one offers all of the networks. I could have sworn they did.
Am I wrong?

Not sure about youtube, but Sling and Hulu Live do not, CBS is only through CBS all Access as far as I know.

ABC lets you watch their stuff a week after it airs on their app for free, so sling gets me NBC and Fox, and I pay CBS during college football season to watch college football.

I gave the Hulu Live free trial a go because it had ABC on it, but it did not have AMC and that was a deal breaker for me. I also did not like the interface anywhere near as much as the Sling interface.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Not sure about youtube, but Sling and Hulu Live do not, CBS is only through CBS all Access as far as I know.

ABC lets you watch their stuff a week after it airs on their app for free, so sling gets me NBC and Fox, and I pay CBS during college football season to watch college football.

I gave the Hulu Live free trial a go because it had ABC on it, but it did not have AMC and that was a deal breaker for me. I also did not like the interface anywhere near as much as the Sling interface.

As I mentioned earlier, YouTube TV has all of the DC metro channels live which covers ABC, CBS, and NBC.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seemed more appropriate than starting a new one.

I'm going to be switching my homeplace up in Western MD from cable to streaming TV. All my Mom had was cable TV, and my wife and I would rather have Internet. If it works well up there, we'll likely do the same down here.

For regular TV it appears that Hulu and Sling are the top two choices. Is it a matter of "six of one half dozen of the other" between the two or is one obviously better than the others?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seemed more appropriate than starting a new one.

I'm going to be switching my homeplace up in Western MD from cable to streaming TV. All my Mom had was cable TV, and my wife and I would rather have Internet. If it works well up there, we'll likely do the same down here.

For regular TV it appears that Hulu and Sling are the top two choices. Is it a matter of "six of one half dozen of the other" between the two or is one obviously better than the others?
I have a Roku stick. I only pay for Netflix and YouTubeTV or an occasional movie on Vudu. YTTV has a DVR function that sold me. I DVR most shows and watch later and FF through the commercials.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I have a Roku stick. I only pay for Netflix and YouTubeTV or an occasional movie on Vudu. YTTV has a DVR function that sold me. I DVR most shows and watch later and FF through the commercials.
Mom's TV is a Roku. Would I still need a stick?

gemma_rae

What I can tell you is if you can get CATV, the CATV provider almost certainly provides internet. Anything streaming is just watching over the internet, but you have to have the speed to prevent constant buffering. The only exception I can think of is if it's wireless like a cell phone.

P.S. Avoid Bittinger at all costs. God has cursed it.

Christy

b*tch rocket

I prefer Sling. I have tried both and like Sling better.

stgislander

PREMO Member
What I can tell you is if you can get CATV, the CATV provider almost certainly provides internet. Anything streaming is just watching over the internet, but you have to have the speed to prevent constant buffering. The only exception I can think of is if it's wireless like a cell phone.

P.S. Avoid Bittinger at all costs. God has cursed it.
Understood. The thing is Internet is cheaper than CATV.

PeoplesElbow

Most services have a free trial or several months discounted. I suggest giving several a whirl to see which you like. I had Sling since 2016 but recently switched to YouTube TV because they had some channels I wanted and I didnt like the interface changes that Sling recently implemented.