Margaret Brent School Out of Control?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's hard for them to enforce it if the administration is not following through with consequences.

Again, teachers have more power than they exercise. They strike all the time for better pay, days off, etc, and there's no reason why they couldn't strike for safer working conditions and empowerment when dealing with problem students and their low rent parents. Most of them are indoctrinated liberals, however, so it doesn't occur to them to do that when many times it means non-white students will get the boot.

Why don't you come into the schools and stop the bullying since you are apparently the only one that knows how to do that?

Are you kidding? I could walk in there and stop that #### within a week. School superintendents could stop it if they wanted to; they just don't want to. And teachers won't make them.

Shouldn't parents be held accountable instead of saying "Not my kid."?

Sure, but what if they won't? Then what? Typically this is where consequences come into play. Boot the kid, call the cops if need be, and stand your ground. That's how it works in every other venue....except for school.

OldHillcrestGuy

Teachers get paid less than babysitters..lol.

Maryland's State Department of Education publishes salary schedules for the 24 county public school systems within the state. Fulfilling the basic teaching requirements in Maryland for a bachelor's degree will earn a first-year teacher anywhere from $40,400 per year up to $46,561 per year.

Still a thankless job with the way kids are today. The money in salaries is all in the top positions in a school system. The PG Super was making $299,937.00 and several of his little Indians are over $200,000.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Still a thankless job with the way kids are today. The money in salaries is all in the top positions in a school system. The PG Super was making $299,937.00 and several of his little Indians are over $200,000.

Most, if not all jobs are thankless. I for one sure don't worked to be thanked. The thanking is the pay received. Want to be thanked? Become a prostitute.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Are you kidding? I could walk in there and stop that #### within a week. School superintendents could stop it if they wanted to; they just don't want to. And teachers won't make them.

You could? That's great. Then do it. It's pretty easy to say it but go ahead and sign up as a substitute teacher and show us how it's done.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You could? That's great. Then do it. It's pretty easy to say it but go ahead and sign up as a substitute teacher and show us how it's done.

I'm not leaving Florida to come fight you all's battles for you. But if I did want to do that, I'd simply wait for an incident involving a student, then get a big lawyer and sue the #### out of the school for creating a hostile work environment and endangering me. I'd get as many teachers as I could to join me in my suit. I'd organize a walkout. I'd rally the community and alert the press.

Everyone cries and pules over a school shooting, yet your kid is WAY more likely to be harmed by a disruptive aggressive ####bag student who should have been expelled long ago. It's amazing to me that you all put up with it and even more amazing that teachers put up with it. I thought you all cared about "the children"? Or is that only when some media talking head tells you to care?

Hannibal

Again, teachers have more power than they exercise. They strike all the time for better pay, days off, etc, and there's no reason why they couldn't strike for safer working conditions and empowerment when dealing with problem students and their low rent parents. Most of them are indoctrinated liberals, however, so it doesn't occur to them to do that when many times it means non-white students will get the boot.

No they don't ...... and no they don't. Teachers have very little power even in mass due to the structure of the laws in MD. They cannot strike (in MD) and have not in recent memory as best as I can tell. In fact, I still remember walking on Annapolis with my mother as a kid for this very reason. It was the only way they could be heard. This was 25+ years ago.

No you couldn't. It's a bit ridiculous that you believe you could walk into a dysfunctional system and solve the issue within a week ..... or by yourself. You must believe that all the teachers are interested in turning a blind eye. This makes no sense. They'd love nothing more than to rid themselves of problem children as it takes them away from working with the kids who want to learn. They end up being glorified babysitters most of the day. The administrators don't do anything because they are obligated to follow policy/law established by the State.

Hannibal

I'm not leaving Florida to come fight you all's battles for you. But if I did want to do that, I'd simply wait for an incident involving a student, then get a big lawyer and sue the #### out of the school for creating a hostile work environment and endangering me. I'd get as many teachers as I could to join me in my suit. I'd organize a walkout. I'd rally the community and alert the press.

Things often work out so well for those who sue their employer ......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You must believe that all the teachers are interested in turning a blind eye.

They clearly are, or they would fight for better working conditions. This sort of hostile environment and endangerment isn't tolerated in any other profession. Even if you work at McDonald's, you have recourse against co-workers or even customers who threaten you. Only teachers have to put up with this crap.

Teachers are not slaves; they are working professionals and they do indeed have rights.

Hannibal

Maryland's State Department of Education publishes salary schedules for the 24 county public school systems within the state. Fulfilling the basic teaching requirements in Maryland for a bachelor's degree will earn a first-year teacher anywhere from $40,400 per year up to $46,561 per year.

The first statement is a bit tongue in cheek, sort of like when my wife tries to tell me she's highly underpaid as a homemaker considering the costs of: 1) daycare, 2) laundry services 3) chef services 4) house cleaning services. You get the point. She adds up all these services and compares it to my actual paycheck and she's now the breadwinner in the family. You get the point and I generally roll my eyes while acknowledging the (underrated) value of what she provides to our household.

I believe the math for the teacher / babysitter meme came about based on the following: $5/kid/hour for babysitting services. At 25 kids in a class, that's $125/hr. At 6 hours of actual supervision (less recess/lunch/others) - that's $750/day. 180 days of school = $135,000/year. $135k/yr > current salaries.

To your second comment, even at $40-$46k/year - that's on the low side for a 4-year core specific degree. But just the same, it is live-able depending on where you live (what county). Probably a stretch in places like Montgomery or Howard. A little more reasonable in more rural areas. But keep in mind, against this income is out of pocket expenses that are typically reimbursable in other industries (school supplies, advanced education and/or certifications, etc.). Moving forward beyond the 4 year degree and base employment, teachers must obtain a Master's Degree within a set period of time (at their expense). A lot to ask on $46k/year and quite the education portfolio/requirement to only pull in $46k/year. Not many people would invest that much time and expense in their education for such a small return.

MischiefManaged

If teachers were paid as babysitters they would make $10/hour/kid
$10x8 hours a day=$80
$80x25 students (if the class is actually that small)=$2000
$2000x190 days of school=$380,000.00
$40,000 is a joke and they expect them to go above and beyond which they do because they love kids but it is not enough to survive on with their own family.

3CATSAILOR

Would love to hear from others about all the bullying that takes place here. The administration here seems to want to brush everything under the rug. I have heard numerous complaints from family and friends who have kids there who have had problems. I also understand (from very reliable sources LEO's) there are a couple of kids that should be in a juvenile facility that are allowed to attend school there.
Had a grandson attend there about 5 years ago who had one incident there, but had no other problems and went on to Chopticon, with no problems. Has the top administration at MB changed since then and the principal has no control of the school? Heard they have also of alot of teachers leaving.

The BOE rotates their staff from one school to another to avoid mandates from the State. Margaret Brent this time. Another school another time. Good article In Friday's Enterprise letter to the Editor. Interesting thoughts on some topics about our Schools as well.

3CATSAILOR

It's interesting that in the last few years there's been a focus on bullying and all kinds of attention in trying to stop it....and yet it's actually getting worse.

Why aren't these schools practicing what they preach?

I am told the St. Mary's County Board of Education shut down a Superintendent's Safety and Security Committee they had. I guess they think all of our problems simple go away when they put their heads in the sand.

awpitt

Main Streeter
The BOE rotates their staff from one school to another to avoid mandates from the State. Margaret Brent this time. Another school another time. Good article In Friday's Enterprise letter to the Editor. Interesting thoughts on some topics about our Schools as well.

I saw that editorial. A lot of criticisms yet no solutions offered. If that writer honestly believes that private schools aren't vulnerable to shooting incidents, the write is living in an alternate universe.

MiddleGround

If teachers were paid as babysitters they would make $10/hour/kid
$10x8 hours a day=$80
$80x25 students (if the class is actually that small)=$2000
$2000x190 days of school=$380,000.00
$40,000 is a joke and they expect them to go above and beyond which they do because they love kids but it is not enough to survive on with their own family.

Do I think teachers are underpaid. YES. However, this is akin to the annual "How much should mothers make" BS analogy.

Every year they come out with a salary number that mothers should be making and it is always some outrageous number like $300,000 or $500,000/year. They always say that they should be paid as a cook, maid, launderer, daycare, etc. What they don't say is that those people make their salary based on 8, 9, sometimes 10 hours of work per day IN THAT FIELD! I'm sorry but, moms do not cook for 8 hours, clean for 8 hours, wash clothes for 8 hours, etc. Now, if you wanted to break it down into the time spent, I bet it would be more like $100K/year.

BTW, not hating on moms (especially so close to mother's day) just using it as a reference to this ridiculous equivalency.

tipsymcgee

The first statement is a bit tongue in cheek, sort of like when my wife tries to tell me she's highly underpaid as a homemaker considering the costs of: 1) daycare, 2) laundry services 3) chef services 4) house cleaning services. You get the point. She adds up all these services and compares it to my actual paycheck and she's now the breadwinner in the family. You get the point and I generally roll my eyes while acknowledging the (underrated) value of what she provides to our household.

I believe the math for the teacher / babysitter meme came about based on the following: $5/kid/hour for babysitting services. At 25 kids in a class, that's $125/hr. At 6 hours of actual supervision (less recess/lunch/others) - that's $750/day. 180 days of school = $135,000/year. $135k/yr > current salaries.

To your second comment, even at $40-$46k/year - that's on the low side for a 4-year core specific degree. But just the same, it is live-able depending on where you live (what county). Probably a stretch in places like Montgomery or Howard. A little more reasonable in more rural areas. But keep in mind, against this income is out of pocket expenses that are typically reimbursable in other industries (school supplies, advanced education and/or certifications, etc.). Moving forward beyond the 4 year degree and base employment, teachers must obtain a Master's Degree within a set period of time (at their expense). A lot to ask on $46k/year and quite the education portfolio/requirement to only pull in $46k/year. Not many people would invest that much time and expense in their education for such a small return.

I've never understood the need for Ph.d's and master's or even four-year college degrees to teach elementary/middle school kids. Tons of us grew up with great teachers who just were good at it. It can even come down to personality type of someone who can be socially involved and lead a group, simple extrovert personality. They can't teach you a personality type in college. I think there's two types of teachers, the kind I mentioned with a social personality and ability to lead, and the others who are actual introverts and would rather deal with kids than adults. I could be wrong.

Hannibal

I've never understood the need for Ph.d's and master's or even four-year college degrees to teach elementary/middle school kids. Tons of us grew up with great teachers who just were good at it. It can even come down to personality type of someone who can be socially involved and lead a group, simple extrovert personality. They can't teach you a personality type in college. I think there's two types of teachers, the kind I mentioned with a social personality and ability to lead, and the others who are actual introverts and would rather deal with kids than adults. I could be wrong.

I agree with you a 100%. What doesn't make any sense to me is that teachers are required to obtain BOTH a bachelor's and a master's degree in education. That comes at a substantial cost and quite honestly, the pay back in salary doesn't justify it. So again, you have new teachers making $40-$45k/year having to cover normal living expenses in addition to potentially student debts for TWO degrees. In most other fields, having a master's degree in that field commands enough salary that you can live comfortably while addressing those same expenses.

I am not sure how it is structured normally but perhaps it should be a tiered system where elementary ed doesn't require an "advanced" degree (which would lessen the cost burden on a teacher) but come with a lower salary than higher education levels? Who knows. But to your point, I don't believe a persons degree count correlates to their ability to teach. Some people are just naturally gifted. I'd like to think I am very good at what I do for a living ....... but I suck at trying to pass that along to those who work for me. I know that and tell my team that (and encourage them to ask me a million questions because of it).