Margret Palko Teacher Mechanicsville ES

daisykps

Is anyone else tried of reading about her on the FRONT page of the Emptyprise every other week? She was not granted leave, got mad and retired then , never mind I want back! Teachers have OFF EVERY HOLIDAY as it is. In my job I work hoidays, very seldom am I ever able to take one off because hospitals run 24/7.

BuddyLee

Football addict
daisykps said:
Is anyone else tried of reading about her on the FRONT page of the Emptyprise every other week? She was not granted leave, got mad and retired then , never mind I want back! Teachers have OFF EVERY HOLIDAY as it is. In my job I work hoidays, very seldom am I ever able to take one off because hospitals run 24/7.
Maybe you should have become a teacher.

daisykps said:
Ever heard of doing a search? There's a number of threads on here that have dealt with her before.

Also, her story has not been "on the FRONT page of the Emptyprise every other week" for the last MANY months. I had just about forgotten about her until she was in the paper last week.

terbear1225

daisykps said:

first, keep in mind that just because a teacher is not in the school building on a holiday does not necessarily mean that they are not working.

second, just as in every job, some things cannot be scheduled around holidays. Sometimes time off is necessary for medical purposes, legal issues (like closing on a house,) or personal events scheduled by other people like weddings, graduations, etc. Have you ever asked for time off? Wouldn't you be ticked if it was denied to you for no apparent reason?

daisykps

Why is it one the front page of the EMTYPRISE every week? That was my question and no is was not answered in the other threads. :confused:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
daisykps said:
Why is it one the front page of the EMTYPRISE every week? That was my question and no is was not answered in the other threads. :confused:
:engrish: :confused:

BuddyLee

Football addict
daisykps said:
Call and ask the paper for their explanation.

My explanation: Because it's the Emptyprise.:shrug:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
terbear1225 said:
first, keep in mind that just because a teacher is not in the school building on a holiday does not necessarily mean that they are not working.

second, just as in every job, some things cannot be scheduled around holidays. Sometimes time off is necessary for medical purposes, legal issues (like closing on a house,) or personal events scheduled by other people like weddings, graduations, etc. Have you ever asked for time off? Wouldn't you be ticked if it was denied to you for no apparent reason?
Ok.... I'm not up to speed on this subject, simply because I just don't care that much about it.

Having said that - and I apologize if I have my info incorrect - but didn't she QUIT after being told "no"? It's not as if she was FIRED for asking for leave, right? If that were the case, she would have a reason to be in a tizzy. But the lady QUIT. And now she's asking for her job back? I wouldn't give it back to her.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BadGirl said:
Ok.... I'm not up to speed on this subject, simply because I just don't care that much about it.

Having said that - and I apologize if I have my info incorrect - but didn't she QUIT after being told "no"? It's not as if she was FIRED for asking for leave, right? If that were the case, she would have a reason to be in a tizzy. But the lady QUIT. And now she's asking for her job back? I wouldn't give it back to her.
:yeahthat: All because she couldn't go on a cruise... She's an educated person, and I'm sure she made an educated desision when it came to time to choose her job or the cruise, SHE chose the cruise. Hope she had fun.. BK is hiring, so is Wal-Mart...

Mikeinsmd

terbear1225 said:
first, keep in mind that just because a teacher is not in the school building on a holiday does not necessarily mean that they are not working. second, just as in every job, some things cannot be scheduled around holidays. Sometimes time off is necessary for medical purposes, legal issues (like closing on a house,) or personal events scheduled by other people like weddings, graduations, etc. Have you ever asked for time off? Wouldn't you be ticked if it was denied to you for no apparent reason?
True but as a teacher in the system as long as she was and knowing the rules as long as she did, she chose to retire/quit to go on a cruise.....

It wasn't denied "for no apparent reason". Being an ex-teacher, she should always use proper grammar when asking; "Would you like fries with that?" :nomoney:

terbear1225

I agree it was a mistake for her to quit then turn around and try to get her job back. I hadn't heard anything about the leave being for a cruise. was that in the paper? regardless of the reason for requesting the leave, if she had personal days available to her and she requested the leave within a reasonable amount of time, her employer has no reason to deny them to her. my view is that personal time is just that, personal, it is no one's business but my own what I use it for. of course there are exceptions, especially if someone has been abusing their personal leave. as far as I know, that was not the case here.

as for the original question, I think someone already mentioned that you are incorrect in your assessment that this issue has been on the front page for months. Also, for many people in this area this is a major issue. At this point it's not just about one woman, it's about whether or not an employer has the right to deny leave if it's been requested according to proper procedure and whether or not an employee has the right to privacy in not giving a reason for requesting personal leave.

Mikeinsmd

terbear1225 said:
apparently, I am less informed on the matter than you are. What was the reason given?
BC she went on a cruise. And the school regs. say that teachers are not allowed to take off during the school year while school is in session.

turtlebanana

daisykps said:

Don't you mean "tired" and not "tried".