Marine Uniform Must be Covered by Robe at High School Graduation

ylexot

Super Genius
Graduation controversy at Petaluma High
Every year across the country the cap and gown remain the dress of the day for millions of graduating students.
Jim and Kim Kiernan decided to challenge the custom in the name of their son Steven, who just finished Marine boot camp. They'd like to see him graduate from Petaluma High School on June 11 in his military uniform.
Steven Kiernan, meanwhile, graduated from boot camp on June 1 and has been out of the loop. Due to rigorous communication restraints since entering boot camp, his family has only spoken with him twice for 10 minutes at a time. The rest of the communication has been the old-fashioned way, via letters. Jim Kiernan is expecting his son will be "a little bit surprised" at all of the attention his story has garnered.
I think the parents need to STFU! I also wouldn't be surprised if Steven came back and said "What's the big deal? I'll wear the cap and gown like everyone else." If they let him wear his uniform instead, get ready to lose the cap and gown tradition completely in the next few years.
"The high school graduation is the high school's graduation," said Gunnery Sgt. Shane Maria, head of the Santa Rosa Marine recruiting station. "It's not our event. If the appropriate attire for the event is a cap and gown, then he'll be wearing a cap and gown."
It would also be funny if his commanding officer ordered him to wear the cap and gown.

BTW, does anyone know what the protocol would be in this situation? By that I mean are you allowed to wear a cap and gown over the Marine uniform, or would he have to wear civies?

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
First off, it's much ado about nothing. Secondly, he can wear the cap and gown over his uniform if he so desires. He can also go to the event in civvies and wear them under the gown like everybody else. It's not like you're prohibited from wearing civilian clothes when you're off duty.

Triggerfish

I know it's against navy uniform regulations to even hold the wrong color umbrella and wearing of a non-regulation jacket is also a no no. I wouldn't think it would be any different in the marines. Plus he would be wearing a cap instead of his military headgear.

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Triggerfish said:
I know it's against navy uniform regulations to even hold the wrong color umbrella and wearing of a non-regulation jacket is also a no no. I wouldn't think it would be any different in the marines. Plus he would be wearing a cap instead of his military headgear.
But as long as he isn't displaying the uniform to the degree that it's recognizable as the uniform, I would think he could wear the gown over it. Besides, who's gonna get nasty about it anyway, at a high school graduation?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
After thinking about this and I say it isn't a good idea to wear the uniform. If he wears the uniform without gown it could incite others to act out based on their beliefs that the war is wrong and as such could bring the Marine Corps/Navy under bad light, which is frowned upon. Not to mention that it probably would disrupt the ceremony and I am willing to bet that at least one a-hole would have issue with it and voice that opinion. Wearing a gown over the uniform would still leave the distinctive stripe on the pants exposed as well as, I suspect, his high gloss footwear, even a casual observer could recognize the Marine under the gown. It's a civilian ceremony leave it as such. His parents/family/friends could obtain little American and Marine Corps flags in the audiance and wave them and yell when they call him up for his diploma if they want to.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Ken King said:
After thinking about this and I say it isn't a good idea to wear the uniform. If he wears the uniform without gown it could incite others to act out based on their beliefs that the war is wrong and as such could bring the Marine Corps/Navy under bad light, which is frowned upon. Not to mention that it probably would disrupt the ceremony and I am willing to bet that at least one a-hole would have issue with it and voice that opinion. Wearing a gown over the uniform would still leave the distinctive stripe on the pants exposed as well as, I suspect, his high gloss footwear, even a casual observer could recognize the Marine under the gown. It's a civilian ceremony leave it as such. His parents/family/friends could obtain little American and Marine Corps flags in the audiance and wave them and yell when they call him up for his diploma if they want to.
Smart man! Well-thought-out advice! :notworthy:

Triggerfish

The A-hole would likely be a marine. As Ken said I don't think you're going to be able to hide that marine uniform under a cap and gown. Too much politics if he wears just the uniform. Each military branch has its own traditions that they want its members to follow and respect so I think the family also need to respect and follow the traditions of the high school graduations.

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Ken King said:
Wearing a gown over the uniform would still leave the distinctive stripe on the pants exposed as well as
If he just graduated boot camp, he wouldn't have the blood stripe on his trousers. You only get the red blood stripe when you are promoted to Cpl. (E-4).

IMO he should not be allowed to wear the uniform because it would be a disruption of the ceremony at hand. I realize that his parents are proud of him for graduating from boot camp, but they should also be proud of the fact that he is graduating high school. What I want to know is how did he graduate from boot camp BEFORE getting his high school diploma? January grad?

Ken King

PREMO Member
kom526 said:
If he just graduated boot camp, he wouldn't have the blood stripe on his trousers. You only get the red blood stripe when you are promoted to Cpl. (E-4).
Wasn't aware of the E-4 requirement before getting the "blood stripe". Thanks, I guess it's ignorance from not having a threaded cranium. :biggrin:

Pete

Repete
Ken King said:
Wearing a gown over the uniform would still leave the distinctive stripe on the pants exposed
Only NCO's have the distinctive red stripe (blood stripe) on the trousers. If he just graduated from boot camp I doubt he is an NCO (E-4 and above).

USMC Uniform Regulations Chapter 1003, 1d. States "Appearing or participating in any event in public that would compromise the dignity of the uniform."

While a High school graduation in itself in not a public event that would "compromise the dignity of the uniform" the fact that some a-hole would make a scene could.

If the Marine insists I see no problem nor can I find any regulation that would prohibit the wearing of a robe over the uniform. If it were me I would not wear my uniform, but I would wear a sandwich board sign which stated:

USMC Uniform regulations state ""Appearing or participating in any event in public that would compromise the dignity of the uniform." Because of a few morons I have decided that wearing my uniform in their presence would significantly diminish the dignity of my uniform I have decided to reserve the right to view it to those worthy."

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
This whole article is dumb. Give him a year in the service and he'll try to wear civies any chance he gets! :lmao:

But really. Everybody has thier own rules, and even if thier dumb, you can't just break them because of personal pride. If the school says no and the corps says you can't modify the uniform then oh well. You sure don't need to make this much noise about it. If it were my parents I'd tell them to drop it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree - the parents are tards. The graduation ceremony requires a cap and gown, end of story.

Jim Kiernan is expecting his son will be "a little bit surprised" at all of the attention his story has garnered.
Maybe Junior should show Dad what he learned at boot camp. :rolleyes:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Agreeing with you...

Bustem' Down said:
This whole article is dumb. Give him a year in the service and he'll try to wear civies any chance he gets! :lmao:

But really. Everybody has thier own rules, and even if thier dumb, you can't just break them because of personal pride. If the school says no and the corps says you can't modify the uniform then oh well. You sure don't need to make this much noise about it. If it were my parents I'd tell them to drop it.

...always does two things:

Makes me re-think my position out of fear I missed something.

And gives me hope for mankind.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...always does two things:

Makes me re-think my position out of fear I missed something.

And gives me hope for mankind.
:killingme Crap now I've got to clean rootbeer off my monitor. Thanks Larry.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Triggerfish said:
Wrong COLOR umbrella?? Oooooh ain't that sweet, do the umbrellas come with matching purses?? In the services where ya find the REAL men, they aren't allowed to carry an umbrella..

Speaking of uniform regualtions.. what do they state about cell phones and PDA's and whatever else electronic gadget they feel like carrying hanging off of their belts??

And what's the tensile strength of the thread used to hold the buttons on a chief's shirt!?? I walk by some and have to be worried about losing an eye to a button that gives way to the undue stress..

:patriot:

Last edited:
B

Bruzilla

Since when can you carry an umbrella in the Navy? We always had to wear raincoats.

There are lots of times that the uniform regs of all services get tossed out the window for the sake of ceremony. Chrome helmets, white leggings, etc., aren't part of anyone's uniforms anymore but a lot of people wear them for ceremonial purposes.

I think the kid should be allowed to wear his uniform under his cap and gown, and if anyone has a problem with it, let them shout it out. I suspect that there will be enough former and current military in the audience to "educate" him/her/it on the foolishness of the views. I've always hated Marines, but if some d-bag in the audience saw fit to insult a kid for having the nads to do what this kid did, I would see it fit to accidentally smash him in the face while jumping up to take a picture. :patriot:

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
Wrong COLOR umbrella?? Oooooh ain't that sweet, do the umbrellas come with matching purses?? In the services where ya find the REAL men, they aren't allowed to carry an umbrella..

Speaking of uniform regualtions.. what do they state about cell phones and PDA's and whatever else electronic gadget they feel like carrying hanging off of their belts??

And what's the tensile strength of the thread used to hold the buttons on a chief's shirt!?? I walk by some and have to be worried about losing an eye to a button that gives way to the undue stress..

:patriot:
Next time you see the Chief with the straining buttons ask him, I am sure he would be happy to provide an answer :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bruzilla said:
I think the kid should be allowed to wear his uniform under his cap and gown,
The problem is that it's not the kid who wants to wear his uniform - it's just his parents having an attention-whore moment.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
Next time you see the Chief with the straining buttons ask him, I am sure he would be happy to provide an answer :yay:
I think I shall.. anything to make the day a little more exciting!!