Maryland Anglers Required to Register with Feds Be

limblips

PREMO Member
read the antire article in SOMD news. Then please somebody explain to me what this is supposed to accomplish. If I don't tell them what I caught, how many and where then there is no data to be analyzed. I have to think there is more to this than what is stated. If the Feds want data for fish management, then why is this only Maryland?

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
You would figure when you register your boat and you purchase the Chesakeake Bay Sport Fishing sticker it would count as your registration but doesn't look like it will, hate giving out anymore info than they already have on me.

somdshootnet

It appears as though it only affects saltwater fisheries? Interesting, next year they will probably double the license fees, at least then the fishing fees will be right up there keeping pace with the hunting fees LOL.

It appears as though it only affects saltwater fisheries? Interesting, next year they will probably double the license fees, at least then the fishing fees will be right up there keeping pace with the hunting fees LOL.

I got a call from a "survey" yesterday, Only interested in my salt water fishing habits.

fish67

Since the requirement includes anyone who may catch an anadromous species (fish that travel between salt and fresh waters), anyone fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, its tributaries and coastal waters, must be registered.

So that would include, well, just about everything...

fish67

Anyone else find it "suspect" that in year one you are asked to register and there is NO mention of fees, but beginning in the subsequent years they estimate fees of $15-$25 per year to "manage the program." Isn't that the same basic MO that drug dealers use? It won't cost you anything THIS year, go ahead, register and fish...no problems. Then once you are in the system you can bet if you buy a fishing license your name will pop up on some list if you haven't sent in your $25...

Or am I just being paranoid?

Just another tax, guess we all have to get used to it...sigh...

somdshootnet

:frown:More info! This will cost each of us $15-$25 dollar/year starting in 2011! Please read the attached. They want info I don't give up easily! You will also have to carry your registration number with you.

Marine Recreational Information Program

LOL, and to think I only pay $46.00 for my hunting license, which use to only cost $24.50 ...

FOR THE SAME THING I GET NOW !

$15.00-$25.00 is a bargain. I wouldn't whine about that, you get to fish year around. We get hunt for a few months.

Last edited:

somdshootnet

On December 23, 2008, NOAA Fisheries released a final rule giving anglers and spearfishers who fish recreationally in federal ocean waters until Jan. 1, 2010 to be registered in the National Saltwater Angler Registry, a new tool designed to help the nation better manage and rebuild valuable fish stocks.

I assume this thread is for the Atlantic waters only ? It doesn't appear to affect the Ches. Bay or Saltwater Tributaries, unless I overlooked what I read ?

fish67

I assume this thread is for the Atlantic waters only ? It doesn't appear to affect the Ches. Bay or Saltwater Tributaries, unless I overlooked what I read ?

Since the requirement includes anyone who may catch an anadromous species (fish that travel between salt and fresh waters), anyone fishing in the Chesapeake Bay, its tributaries and coastal waters, must be registered.

So that would include, well, just about everything...

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
I found the best way to beat the increased fees is to become old. My 2010 Consolidated Geezer Fishing License for Maryland was $5.00. Finally, an advantage to being an old fart!

oldman

Lobster Land
I found the best way to beat the increased fees is to become old. My 2010 Consolidated Geezer Fishing License for Maryland was $5.00. Finally, an advantage to being an old fart!

I got that deal last year as I was GOING to be 65 near the end of the year. I added another $2 so I could crab - never got out to catch one though.

My husband takes people fishing with him now and then, friends and family, many of them may only go once a year. So these people have to buy a license for just one day??? That's crazy and turns people off to going with him because of the trouble they have to go through. That is totally unfair!!

Last edited:

Crow Bait

My husband takes people fishing with him now and then, friends and family, many of them may only go once a year. So these people have to buy a license for just one day??? That's crazy and turns people off to going with him because of the trouble they have to go through. That is totally unfair!!

People fishing on a boat with a fishing license decal issued by MD, VA, or PRFC do not need to purchase an individual fishing license. They do need to register with NOAA, which is free, before fishing. This is a one-time required process, and it is FREE.

To register visit: https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/

People fishing on a boat with a fishing license decal issued by MD, VA, or PRFC do not need to purchase an individual fishing license. They do need to register with NOAA, which is free, before fishing. This is a one-time required process, and it is FREE.

To register visit: https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/

Awesome. So is it just a rumor that everyone on a boat has to have an individual fishing license instead of being covered by the boat license (not talking about NOAA)? Or maybe they were getting the NOAA thing confused?

grn-thumb

Has any one heard of this being enforced? And if so by whom? If it is a federal program is dnr or the coast guard or any one out there to make sure we even signed up for the program? I was approached at the ramp last week by a survey taker from dnr and she never asked me if I had signed up for the program or not. Just seems like one more way the government is trying to get into my business.