Maryland Bill Outlaws Under-the-Table Payments

Lee

Maryland Del. Cheryl Glenn withdrew a bill from the General Assembly that would have outlawed the practice by some companies of paying construction workers under the table and declaring them self-employed contractors in order to avoid paying benefits, taxes or other contributions as required by law.

I'm not sure this is good or bad. Anyone know the implications of this?

Thanks.

Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It would seem stupid to extort money from Maryland workers to support Casa de Maryland in their efforts to violate federal immigration laws and then not allow the illegal immigrants to work.

R

RadioPatrol

Won't find this anywhere else.

Maryland Del. Cheryl Glenn withdrew a bill from the General Assembly that would have outlawed the practice by some companies of paying construction workers under the table and declaring them self-employed contractors in order to avoid paying benefits, taxes or other contributions as required by law.

They are not being paid "Under the Table" if they are declared sub contractors - dumb ass = Cheryl Glenn .... but if she was smart, IFR, under IRS Rules a sub contractor cannot be told "be here @ X time or no job" it is purely voluntary if one shows up or not - and the min an employer makes a demand that "You" be here @ 6am then your now an employee, not a sub contractor .... ignorant ####ing biatch

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Just...

Won't find this anywhere else.

Why? She couldn't get one other delegate to co-sponsor and couldn't get a hearing on the bill!

A real travesty. When a Maryland delegate tries to do something worthwhile, she slammed.:eyebrow:

For rest including pdf of bill, report and her email address:
Mobtown USA : Withdrawn Bill Outlawed Under-the-Table Payments

...another piece of excess junk legislation. Business is already required to declare anyone they pay 'under the table' via a 1099 which is another piece of junk legislation. I got audited for this crap and because I paid some of my part time school kids cash, it got caught. The old law was under $600 per year you didn't have to declare it, then, as I found out, it was changed to read that you could not do this if it was work performed that is part of the normal course of your business, ie, we're a greenhouse, so I could pay a kid to cut the grass on the property or to wash the trucks but not to plant pansies or clean the barn.

Money is needed for the government. Send each citizen a bill, once a month and they'll pay it. Let me pay someone to work, whatever it is, let me be an employer, and let each person be a true citizen.

Simple. Effective. Proper.

Lee

They are not being paid "Under the Table" if they are declared sub contractors - dumb ass = Cheryl Glenn .... but if she was smart, IFR, under IRS Rules a sub contractor cannot be told "be here @ X time or no job" it is purely voluntary if one shows up or not - and the min an employer makes a demand that "You" be here @ 6am then your now an employee, not a sub contractor .... ignorant ####ing biatch

You cleared it up for me. Thanks. That makes sense.

Lee

...another piece of excess junk legislation. Business is already required to declare anyone they pay 'under the table' via a 1099 which is another piece of junk legislation. I got audited for this crap and because I paid some of my part time school kids cash, it got caught. The old law was under $600 per year you didn't have to declare it, then, as I found out, it was changed to read that you could not do this if it was work performed that is part of the normal course of your business, ie, we're a greenhouse, so I could pay a kid to cut the grass on the property or to wash the trucks but not to plant pansies or clean the barn.

Money is needed for the government. Send each citizen a bill, once a month and they'll pay it. Let me pay someone to work, whatever it is, let me be an employer, and let each person be a true citizen.

Simple. Effective. Proper.

You have convinced me. Thanks for putting it into more perspective.