Maryland Driver's Licenses

TehPwnerer

I recently got a new driver's license because I moved to a new address, and they made me bring my forms of identification (Birth Certificate and SS card) again so that this time they could photocopy them.

My co-worker mentioned something about this possibly having to do with now being able to use your driver's license to get into Canada without a passport, meaning the driver license's are enhanced with an RFID chip of some sort.

I'm not sure if this is true, can anyone verify this?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I recently got a new driver's license because I moved to a new address, and they made me bring my forms of identification (Birth Certificate and SS card) again so that this time they could photocopy them.

My co-worker mentioned something about this possibly having to do with now being able to use your driver's license to get into Canada without a passport, meaning the driver license's are enhanced with an RFID chip of some sort.

I had to show both in 1978 when I got my first license. I don't know about the passport thing..

If you are fluent in Spanish, you get a free pass, no paperwork needed. YW.

Onager

wild ass

They're called enhanced driver's licenses and are being used in several states but not Maryland:

Enhanced driving licenses
Additionally, some provinces and states (British Columbia, Manitoba, Michigan, New York, Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, and Washington) are issuing Enhanced Driver's Licenses, and enhanced ID cards [7]. Enhanced licenses essentially combine a regular driving license with the same specifications of the new US passport card. Thus in addition to proving driving privileges, the enhanced license also is proof of U.S. citizenship (for EDLs/EIDs issued in the US) or Canadian citizenship (for EDLs/EIDs issued in Canada), and can therefore be used to cross the US-Canadian and US-Mexican borders by road, rail, or sea, but not air (this will always require a traditional passport book) [8] The enhanced licenses are also fully Real ID compliant. These cards have RFID so they may be used at border crossings that have RFID readers.

On March 27, 2008, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that Washington's enhanced driving license[9] was the first such license approved under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative;[10] according to a Homeland Security press release, the department is also working with Arizona, New York, and Vermont authorities to develop enhanced driving licenses.[11] On September 16, 2008, NYS began to issue WHTI-Compliant Enhanced driver licenses (EDL).[12] Texas was expected to also implement an enhanced driving license program, but the program has been blocked by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, despite a state law authorizing the Texas Department of Public Safety to issue EDLs and a ruling by the state attorney general, Greg Abbott, that Texas's production of EDLs would comply with federal requirements.[13][14]

Driver's license - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enhanced Driver's License - Government Issued IDs for Crossing the Border - DMV Guide

mamissa3

its kinda silly, i havent changed my name on my ss card. They only gave me a temp liscense and i have to go change it. Not that i didnt want to just never did. although i did bring my marriage certificate. It wasnt enough

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
I had to show both in 1978 when I got my first license. I don't know about the passport thing..

If you are fluent in Spanish, you get a free pass, no paperwork needed. YW.

WOW YOUR..........................................YOUNG! lol :buddies:

kwa592

Don't know about the RFID, but beginning in January, MD driver licenses are compliant with the REAL ID Act.

"Maryland is making preparations to begin issuing Driver Licenses and Identifications Cards that meet the initial requirements of 18 Benchmark Standards established by DHS starting on January 1, 2010."

REAL ID Act Information

mitzi

Curious. Was it your renewal time and change of address too? I renewed mine 2 weeks ago and had moved also. I took everything but my birth certificate with me, and they never checked anything. Didn't even ask for anything to verify my new address, just asked me the info. It surprised me actually.

BOP

Never heard of that. Think it has more to do with illegal immigrants trying to get a license.

That's correct. Only American citizens have to show that much proof of who they are.

Illegals don't have to prove who they are, where they're from, when they were born, or their status in this country.

Terrid76

its kinda silly, i havent changed my name on my ss card. They only gave me a temp liscense and i have to go change it. Not that i didnt want to just never did. although i did bring my marriage certificate. It wasnt enough

No, you didn't need to get a temporary license. They tried the same thing with me quoting the Patriot Act. I wasn't thrilled. I just got back from the Iraq border. Regardless, I just had them add my maiden name along with my married name giving me two last names and I was good to go. Hey, I asked them to do that when I got married and they said they couldn't. Does this mean I won?

Terri

bcp

In My Opinion
That's correct. Only American citizens have to show that much proof of who they are.

Illegals don't have to prove who they are, where they're from, when they were born, or their status in this country.
Did you know that (at least around annapolis) the illegals have to go to the Glen Burnie DMV in order to "talk" to a "special" person in order to get their state issued "legal" license?
of course thats been 3 or 4 years since I was told about this by some "illegals" so things might have changed

mamissa3

hmmm didnt know that about adding my maiden name! It was pure laziness on my part BUT i went back and forthe with the women even asking if there was a way aroung it and she said no!