Maryland Senate votes to overturn after Labor Day school start

Hijinx

The vote was veto-proof. Hogan can't do anything here and if he does, it's just petty.
Petty is what the Democrats did when they voted against what the people want.
I have no problem with Hogan being petty with the petty democrat dipsticks.

Toxick

Splat
Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying **** when school starts?

My nieces and nephews in AZ start school at the end of July or beginning of August and get out in like April. They've all managed to survive that arduous hell on earth. When I was in school, I didn't care from when to when - and now that I have 2 kids (left) in school I still don't give a tiny rat's ass. Honestly - why is this such a big political thing? Other than giving the D's or R's a "win" does anyone really give a flying ****?

As long as they manage to tweak out X number of days in a year I don't see the big whoop about the dates.

SamSpade

Yeah, not crazy about this. A host of things make this kind of change difficult - and makes family vacations hard to plan.
I have a son who is always in extended school year, and that runs smack in the middle of summer - as it is now.
Not wanting him to miss, we plan things around that.

Unless of course school starts shortly after it ends.

I hate this. I can't believe it's because of snow days and training days and so on.

SamSpade

Am I the only one who doesn't give a flying **** when school starts?

My nieces and nephews in AZ start school at the end of July or beginning of August and get out in like April. They've all managed to survive that arduous hell on earth. When I was in school, I didn't care from when to when - and now that I have 2 kids (left) in school I still don't give a tiny rat's ass. Honestly - why is this such a big political thing? Other than giving the D's or R's a "win" does anyone really give a flying ****?

As long as they manage to tweak out X number of days in a year I don't see the big whoop about the dates.

Again, for me it's planning the summer. Most areas around the country have "summer" going into Labor Day.
That's the "end".

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
........not to mention the Teacher’s unions are for it ( I really don’t know why) so the Dems have to play nice.

Reactions: BOP

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

How about if parents just say FU to the schools and go on their vacations and then Johnny and Susie return to school after labor day? This BS of following the dictates of overpaid miscreants has to stop sometime. Parents ... Take control. Band together. Make it official yourselves and do not allow your child/ren to return to school until after labor day. Simple as that. Or better than that. Have/Put, a referendum on the local ballot in your county. And tell them to go pound sand.

awpitt

Main Streeter
If I may ...

How about if parents just say FU to the schools and go on their vacations and then Johnny and Susie return to school after labor day? This BS of following the dictates of overpaid miscreants has to stop sometime. Parents ... Take control. Band together. Make it official yourselves and do not allow your child/ren to return to school until after labor day. Simple as that. Or better than that. Have/Put, a referendum on the local ballot in your county. And tell them to go pound sand.

Or a more reasonable approach that won't cause kids to have unlawful absences...... Support Board of Ed candidates who say they support starting after Labor Day. Or participate in the calendar setting process. It takes place every year and is open to the public.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Or a more reasonable approach that won't cause kids to have unlawful absences...... Support Board of Ed candidates who say they support starting after Labor Day. Or participate in the calendar setting process. It takes place every year and is open to the public.
Naw. That takes forever. And come on, really, the good guy candidates never win anyway. What's a few days of "unlawful, [actually unexcused] absences" gonna mean anyway? Not a thing. It's for the cause man. Teach the kids to challenge authority early, the right way. (The non-violent smart way.) Nope. I think a grassroots in-your-face, we're-not-going-to-acquiesce to your arbitrary and capricious setting of the school calender for overpaid teachers and administrators and the unions benefit any longer. Reasonable approaches are for pussies. Not implying you are one. (nor placing you in that category.) It's time for some down and dirty, in your face, upheaval political discourse. Talk is cheap. That is why they do not listen. Action is what is needed. And parents hold all the cards on this issue.

22AcaciaAve

Unlawful absences? People take their kids out of school for things all of the time. Kids miss school for sickness, Oriole opening days, death in the family, etc. If the parent notifies the school that their kid will be absent I don't know that there is a thing they can do about it, even if it is for a an already planned vacation. I would guess the local school boards would get tired of opening schools to 50% or less attendance and eventually start schools after Labor Day.

PeoplesElbow

I remember in public school it always started after Labor Day and ended right before Memorial Day. We did not have air conditioning in my schools though, oh the horror.

College always started the third Monday in August and the Monday of the first full week of January (so 3rd-9th).

littlelady

God bless the USA
Unlawful absences? People take their kids out of school for things all of the time. Kids miss school for sickness, Oriole opening days, death in the family, etc. If the parent notifies the school that their kid will be absent I don't know that there is a thing they can do about it, even if it is for a an already planned vacation. I would guess the local school boards would get tired of opening schools to 50% or less attendance and eventually start schools after Labor Day.

And, the bright side is that the children will have a week, or two less of being indoctrinated. Go vacations! Nice to see you posting, again.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Students can have as many unlawful absences they want; however, after a certain number of unlawful absences, they will fail for the year.

This_person

Students can have as many unlawful absences they want; however, after a certain number of unlawful absences, they will fail for the year.
If it is approved by the parents, it is "unlawful"? Aren't the kids the responsibility of the parents, not the school?

awpitt

Main Streeter
If it is approved by the parents, it is "unlawful"?

Yes. The school system has a list of approved absences.

Aren't the kids the responsibility of the parents, not the school?

Yes. It is the responsibility of the parents to make sure their kids attend school as required by law.

Having said that, there were times when I wanted to pull my kids from school for a week in order to go on vacation. I contacted the principal and they excused the absences for my kids on the condition that they make up all missed assignments.