Maryland State Police Petition

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Just a thought, but why aren't we petitioning to get funding for a trauma unit down here? We obviously need one.

Woodyspda

Just a thought, but why aren't we petitioning to get funding for a trauma unit down here? We obviously need one.

I agree but honestly, I don't think it's so much the funding as the manning. Someone told me the other day that the on call docs at St. Mary's are required to be within 20 minutes of the hospital and most times they aren't. Why would a doctor move here unless they couldn't get hired anywhere else?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I agree but honestly, I don't think it's so much the funding as the manning. Someone told me the other day that the on call docs at St. Mary's are required to be within 20 minutes of the hospital and most times they aren't. Why would a doctor move here unless they couldn't get hired anywhere else?

Maybe the funding isn't sufficient? I really don't know, but some people actually like it here.

RPMDAD

Hmmm now that's a thought....

I get in an accident and get flown out by a private chopper company on contract.... I get a bill for 10 grand... which my insurance will pay most of.

Alternative:
Year after year keep paying 7 grand a year to the state of Maryland and MAYBE need the services of a helicopter.

To tell you the truth... If I'm in that bad of shape... go ahead and consider me parts for someone that needs them.

Woodyspda, not disagreeing with you but some insurance policies have caveats, i got flown out by MSP out of Prince Frederick myself once to shock trauma, due to an accident. When i was released and got home took a look at my insurance policy and somewhere in there it stated, did not cover medical transport by air or by sea. Luckily never received a bill, and did not have to dispute it with my insurance company.

Woodyspda

Maybe the funding isn't sufficient? I really don't know, but some people actually like it here.

I like it here but it would be SO much better if there was a ferry at Piney Point to VA and a decent bridge to Calvert. There's more but I get cabin fever when I hang out in the county too long. I like to get a dose of the REAL world on occasion and would love not having to drive 2 hours to get to a commercial airport.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I like it here but it would be SO much better if there was a ferry at Piney Point to VA and a decent bridge to Calvert. There's more but I get cabin fever when I hang out in the county too long. I like to get a dose of the REAL world on occasion and would love not having to drive 2 hours to get to a commercial airport.

I'm out of the area about half of the years weekends, so I'm fine with it down here. I don't think I'd put recreation over lives. I think that's a whole different thread.

JoeR

Woodyspda, not disagreeing with you but some insurance policies have caveats, i got flown out by MSP out of Prince Frederick myself once to shock trauma, due to an accident. When i was released and got home took a look at my insurance policy and somewhere in there it stated, did not cover medical transport by air or by sea. Luckily never received a bill, and did not have to dispute it with my insurance company.

And you never will get a bill from MSP. You are already paying for it through you MD vehicle registration. So if whoever wants the service shut down, are they also going to call for our car registrations be reduced back to where they were? :rolleyes:

sommpd

Hmmm now that's a thought....

I get in an accident and get flown out by a private chopper company on contract.... I get a bill for 10 grand... which my insurance will pay most of.

Alternative:
Year after year keep paying 7 grand a year to the state of Maryland and MAYBE need the services of a helicopter.

To tell you the truth... If I'm in that bad of shape... go ahead and consider me parts for someone that needs them.

In Fairness to the Choppers, they don't just do medivac stuff. They are equally called out on police related missions such as locating fleeing felons, missing persons, search warrant support and a number of other missions.

RPMDAD

[/B]

And you never will get a bill from MSP. You are already paying for it through you MD vehicle registration. So if whoever wants the service shut down, are they also going to call for our car registrations be reduced back to where they were? :rolleyes:

Joe, no idea about registration reductions i was just trying to say if the service was privatized, that not all insurances would cover the transpo costs by sea, or air. I have the utmost respect for our MSP and services and God knows they have saved countless lives.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I believe we still need the helo's for medical transports. I also believe they are over-used/abused. There are a few EMT's/Medic's who think it's cool if they get a "fly-out", kinda like bragging rights. Many pt's after arriving at the trauma center are released within hours. The rules have changed since the accident so hopefully it's useage will slow. EMT's/Medics now have consult with the trauma center and the nearest ground transport hospital before fly-outs.

bcp

In My Opinion
Ill sign the petition.
and while doing it I will pray that they are never needed to transport any of you, or anyone that I know.

not that I dont care about the rest of the people, but things happen, and that helocopter has been responsible for saving more lives than it ever took.
the pilot, and the EMT crew knew the danger that they were in when they took that call. They knew that the weather was bad. yet they still made a decision to get in that copter and go and try to save someones life, someone they didnt even know.

I will sign the petition, but I also would hope that some additional safety measures be put into place to avoid the loss of any more of our common every day heros willing to put their life on the line for others.

PM me the petition.

smokey20678

Yes, part of our vehicle reg fees go towards to MSP Helo program, which is a small price to pay for the best EMS system in the world to keep going. These Helos are a very valuable resource for all. They do police work in searches for criminals,missing children,boaters,and alot of other things. As far as doing medivacs, the flight paramedics go through more training than reg paramedics and have a higher standard of care. These helos are the same ones used by the Coast Guard to fly into very bad weather to rescue people, so they were well within the limits of the craft, but i agree, the helo was not up to the standards that it could of been. Thats where the problem is. The pilots are some of the best you will find flying. The system needs some tweeks as far as the criteria to be a "flyout" which is being done. On lower level traumas, the ones that are iffy on being flown, we have to consult with the Trauma Center AND local hosp to let them decide if the patient will go local,by air or by ground to the Trauma Center. This is the BEST system in the world, and if it taken over by private, for profit companys, the cost of the medivac itself will be very costly. Also, the MSP unit has a better safety record by far, than the private companys in service. I cannot stress enough how important these helos are to the citizens of MD. Most people didnt even know that this whole service is free and how it works until they had the crash. I encourage people to keep there eyes open for open houses where the Helos might attend and go take a look and talk to the flightcrews in person before passing judgement. So please support the system...who knows when it might save your life one day !

OldHillcrestGuy

Yes, part of our vehicle reg fees go towards to MSP Helo program, which is a small price to pay for the best EMS system in the world to keep going. These Helos are a very valuable resource for all. They do police work in searches for criminals,missing children,boaters,and alot of other things. As far as doing medivacs, the flight paramedics go through more training than reg paramedics and have a higher standard of care. These helos are the same ones used by the Coast Guard to fly into very bad weather to rescue people, so they were well within the limits of the craft, but i agree, the helo was not up to the standards that it could of been. Thats where the problem is. The pilots are some of the best you will find flying. The system needs some tweeks as far as the criteria to be a "flyout" which is being done. On lower level traumas, the ones that are iffy on being flown, we have to consult with the Trauma Center AND local hosp to let them decide if the patient will go local,by air or by ground to the Trauma Center. This is the BEST system in the world, and if it taken over by private, for profit companys, the cost of the medivac itself will be very costly. Also, the MSP unit has a better safety record by far, than the private companys in service. I cannot stress enough how important these helos are to the citizens of MD. Most people didnt even know that this whole service is free and how it works until they had the crash. I encourage people to keep there eyes open for open houses where the Helos might attend and go take a look and talk to the flightcrews in person before passing judgement. So please support the system...who knows when it might save your life one day !

Great post. :yay::yay: Having worked with the medivac crews over years in EMS, there is no finer system around then the MSP Medivac System. :yay::yay:

Great post. :yay::yay: Having worked with the medivac crews over years in EMS, there is no finer system around then the MSP Medivac System. :yay::yay:

:clap:

BTW - Zekiah Farms is having a Trick-or-Treat benefit on October 31 and November 1 where a portion of the proceeds will go to benefit the memorial fund for the victims...

http://www.zekiahfarms.com/ - a link to the PDF flyer is on the main page. I am seeing if Vrai or David can make a sticky on this. :whistle:

The owners (David and Cindy Thorne) are retired FF/EMS personnel... Cindy was an MSP Flight EMS employee...

Smowlover409

If anyone would like me to email you a copy of the petition please PM me your email. I will be home later tonight and will email it out to everyone. Thank you for your support!

JoeR

I agree 100% with everything you say here. I should have used this :sarcasm: because I figure it's some politician wanting to stop the service. You know they will never want to give anything back.

Smowlover409

I have just now sent out the email concerning the petition. Sorry it has taken so long for me to get it out, been dealing with a family emergency and being at the hospital practically all day. If anyone else wants it, please PM me your email address, thanks!

Smow!!!