Massive 12MW wind turbine going together

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
This thing is huge! First picture is just one of the blades...350 feet long. The nacelle is larger than many people's houses.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
How many years to recoup the cost of an assembly this huuuuuge? Or is it tax credits (etc.) that make these things "affordable"?

--- End of line (MCP)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
How many years to recoup the cost of an assembly this huuuuuge? Or is it tax credits (etc.) that make these things "affordable"?

--- End of line (MCP)
Offshore wind has evolved to the point where it is a self sustaining and profitable industry in areas of the UK and Europe/Scandinavia where about 5000 or so of them are operating and thousands more going up.

The largest machines in service now are about 8 mw. These new 12 mw machines will further improve on power production efficiency and reduce O and M costs.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Here's a great example of the massive scope of offshore wind projects "over there". Once completed, the total capacity of the Hornsea farm will approach 4 GW.

And a picture of the SWATH crew transfer vessel supporting the Hornsea One operations; it's equipped with our motion stabilization system. Service technician teams rotate two weeks on and two weeks off, living aboard that mother ship.

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2019/09/02/hornsea-one-hits-1gw-operational-capacity-mark/

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Just saw this:

Two snips:
American Experiment has been a leader in exposing the fact that wind turbines only last for twenty years, and after that time the turbines must be torn down as part of the decommissioning process. We have also detailed how wind turbine blades cannot be recycled, and must be stored in landfills.

And:
The fact that it is too expensive to dispose of wind turbine blades in a landfill should be front page news, because we’re going to have thousands of blades to get rid of in the near future. In fact, the Energy Information Administration shows Minnesota has some of the oldest wind turbines in the country, meaning this problem will present itself sooner than later.

If the article is correct, then wind turbines are a real environmental problem when their parts (at least, the blades) head off-site for disposal.

Are they? Don't know much about this sector so curious to hear thoughts....

--- End of line (MCP)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

"Is that a massive pylon in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

Said nobody........ever.
I'm wondering if the support for that pylon is equal distance under ground to keep that thing standing? The wind forces at times must be immense.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just saw this:

Two snips:

And:

If the article is correct, then wind turbines are a real environmental problem when their parts (at least, the blades) head off-site for disposal.

Are they? Don't know much about this sector so curious to hear thoughts....

--- End of line (MCP)
Inaccurate on some points.....Fiberglas structures are recycled all the time. The turbines used in the offshore farms are designed for a 25 year service life, so that’s close to the 20 referenced in that article.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I may ...

I'm wondering if the support for that pylon is equal distance under ground to keep that thing standing? The wind forces at times must be immense.
Here is a sampling of typical foundations for offshore wind turbines. The loads are indeed large but manageable..obviously.

SamSpade

Here's a thought that I haven't seen elsewhere...

Most power plants I have seen aren't susceptible to tampering. Unlike Dr. No, you can't just slip in, flip a bunch of switches and blow the damned thing to hell. I wouldn't say they're locked up tight, but security is reasonably good, ESPECIALLY with nukes.

Who's minding the store when it comes to these things? Are there patrol boats on the watch 24/7 to make sure some group doesn't come along and blow it all up? I imagine to cripple any power plant in the nation would take some serious fire power. What would it take to knock one of these out? Or replace it afterward?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Who's minding the store when it comes to these things? Are there patrol boats on the watch 24/7 to make sure some group doesn't come along and blow it all up? I imagine to cripple any power plant in the nation would take some serious fire power. What would it take to knock one of these out? Or replace it afterward?

If anyone with a vessel with large cannon or explosives came along and wanted to knock one out..piece of cake. Each farm has from 60 to 150 turbines, typically, and there are roughly 5000 turbines operating offshore in the UK and Europe. Not much chance of even a concerted effort taking out significant power generation unless they attacked the combining stations that the turbines connect to. At that point, we're describing an attack on a scale that is essentially war level.

Some farms are manned 24/7 like offshore oil operations are. Others are not..visited regularly by vessels operating from shore bases.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Learn something new everyday. I'd also image those supports are of significant weight.

The latest in "hot" offshore technology are floating turbines. The prototpye farm, HYWIND, off Scotland, has been a success and now countries that do not have coastal shelves are moving out to start offshore wind projects. Portugal, for example, and Spain. Our own west coast states are also looking at floating wind farm options.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The latest in "hot" offshore technology are floating turbines. The prototpye farm, HYWIND, off Scotland, has been a success and now countries that do not have coastal shelves are moving out to start offshore wind projects. Portugal, for example, and Spain. Our own west coast states are also looking at floating wind farm options.
Got some research and reading to do then to play catch-up.👍