MdKay's/Wildewood closing

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't even get me started on the outrage from the "neighbors".:rolleyes: GO back to Warminster you bunch of silly pricks.

Well, the mobile aspect, if it's the unit I think, should alleviate even that. The work will be done wherever the animals are, not one centralized location. But there hasnt been any word since he got approval for the unit.

highnote

I think that's the perfect location for Trader Joes. If you agree, fill out this quick store location request form. The more interest they see, the better chance we will have of getting a Trader Joes nearby!

Trader Joe's

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
I put ink on paper for a living, AND I get pop culture references:yay: I hate Kindles, Nooks etc and I do not hesitate to tell people that they are job killers. I have family members that hide them every time I come around so they don't have to hear me say, "Thanks for taking food off my table."

Note to self: Do not discuss the Kindle app on my tablet with Kom when seeing him at gatherings. :buddies:

My father-in-law was a "stripper"...

IrishGal

Stretch's Mom
3) Printing press operators (me) and apprentices. The guys that put the ink on paper.

I KNEW I liked you, Kom! My daddy and my uncles were ALL in the print trade. Daddy was an offset pressman at the same company for 42 years.

SMOOCH!

With the current trend in St. Mary's, the McKays will probably become another Subway restaurant. Because we don't have enough of those. :coffee:

SamSpade

I don't know why people don't like it, but the McKay's in Wildewood has always been my preferred place to shop. For all the complaints about how "nasty" it was, I only see Giant and the newer McKay's in Leonardtown as anywhere approaching pristine. I never ever shop the Food Lion next to K-Mart.

It may well be some of the things I liked about it contributed to its decline. For instance, I don't recall ever running into crowded aisles or having to wait a long time for a register or at a deli counter or at the bakery. Day or night, I don't suppose there were ever more than a dozen or so other shoppers there, at any time. Similarly, I rarely had to worry about being run over by the constant stream of cars rolling through the parking lot or in front of the store.

There is of course - price - and aside from Wal-Mart, McKay's consistently had the best prices for most of the things I'm going to buy. I'd prefer McKay's because I'm not crazy about the parking lot or the idiot customers or the horrendous lines at Wal-Mart on a busy day.

And then there is convenience. It's the closest store. I can rush to McKay's and be back home in minutes.

I really hope that whatever replaces it is a grocery store at least as convenient as McKay's was.

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Kindles kill jobs because:
1) Progammers and pre flight folks. Assemble books electronically make corrections as directed by the customer.

2) Pre press people that make plates. Plates have the type and images burned on them which ends up being transferred to the paper.

3) Printing press operators (me) and apprentices. The guys that put the ink on paper.

4) Bindery folks. They put the books together.

5) Truck drivers. They deliver the books.

Along with all the support personnel from the receptionist at eh front desk to the P/T high school kid that helps out with our recycling efforts.

These jobs all go bye bye thanks to e-books. Printing used to be one of the top manufacturing industries in the state AND was the NUMBER ONE employer of deaf people back in the day.

I use my Kindle to play Angry Birds. Am I still a bad guy? :dance:

MMM_donuts

Will they be marking the stuff down??

Nope. I stopped by on my way home tonight. There is already a considerable amount of emptiness. And they only have Swiss cheese in the form of ShurFine Swiss cheese blocks - just a few - and no other Swiss cheese anywhere in the store (in case you go there looking for Swiss cheese like I did...or cream cheese - no regular cream cheese left). They give a 10% discount as you go through the register but that's because they no longer honor the McKays Rewards points.

Nothing appeared to be on sale or marked down.

ginwoman

I avoid that store. Not surprised to see it go belly up. You really had to check dates on everything.

fatratcat

nope wrong.

it will be a mega bank/liquor/nails/chinese/funeral home/mattress/flea market that serves fast food

Dammit! How could I have missed Subway? OK. The new store replacing the McKay's will be a:

mega bank/liquor/nails/chinese/funeral home/mattress/flea market that serves Subway fast food

ltown81

Enterprise said they did not renew the lease because they were not give an liquor license. Had they gotten the license, they would have done a $5 Million rennovation. Because other chain grocery stores cannot have liquor licenses, and for some reason they normally can...they claimed not having one at this location made it non competitive.

tipsymcgee

I don't know if they were formally not given a liquor license, but they attempted to transfer the Hollywood Road store's license to the Wildewood store and were not allowed to by liquor board.