Medicare, Tricare for Life, and Shingles Vaccine

NOTSMC

Been on the phone for nearly an hour between Medicare and Tricare for Life. So frustrated with both of them as neither can offer a straight yes or no answer.

So is anyone on the forum retired military and old enough to be on Medicare and have you received the two part Shingles vaccine for either free or at a low cost at either a doctors office or local pharmacy? TIA

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Been on the phone for nearly an hour between Medicare and Tricare for Life. So frustrated with both of them as neither can offer a straight yes or no answer.

So is anyone on the forum retired military and old enough to be on Medicare and have you received the two part Shingles vaccine for either free or at a low cost at either a doctors office or local pharmacy? TIA
CVS offers them.

NOTSMC

CVS offers them.
Thanks. I was able to schedule an appointment with them but I can't seem to get anyone to confirm that either Medicare or Tricare for Life will pay for it. The shot itself is $500 out of pocket if they don't and I want confirmation before I actually get it.

Tricare for Life says yes but I have to go through Express Script. Went through Express Script and posed the same question and they're saying no they don't cover it. Called the doctors office, as he strongly recommended the vaccine. Spoke to the pharmacy people at the Bean Building who informed me Medicare will not cover but Tricare for Life might. Or might not. :sshrug:

BOP

Thanks. I was able to schedule an appointment with them but I can't seem to get anyone to confirm that either Medicare or Tricare for Life will pay for it. The shot itself is $500 out of pocket if they don't and I want confirmation before I actually get it.

Tricare for Life says yes but I have to go through Express Script. Went through Express Script and posed the same question and they're saying no they don't cover it. Called the doctors office, as he strongly recommended the vaccine. Spoke to the pharmacy people at the Bean Building who informed me Medicare will not cover but Tricare for Life might. Or might not. :sshrug:
I wasn't in long enough to qualify for Tricare, but I have Medicare and Aetna (formerly Aetna U.S. Healthcare), which I took into retirement after my GS career (I was FERS) and I didn't pay for either. I got my shots at Walgreens.

BOP

Kinnakeet

Your getting a shot after all the covid BS what are the chances of getting shingles anyway 1 in 100,000?

• Sad
Reactions: BOP

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
hang-out-shingle-512.png

NOTSMC

Your getting a shot after all the covid BS what are the chances of getting shingles anyway 1 in 100,000?
One in three will get it during their lifetime. My mother had it - nonstop pain. My BF's daughter had it. A friend of mine had it. That's three people right there that I personally know that had it. All three in good health. I don't have the time to be in pain when there's something on the market to prevent it.

Reactions: Suz

phreddyp

If you get shingles You will WISH you spent that $500!

• Love

NOTSMC

I wasn't in long enough to qualify for Tricare, but I have Medicare and Aetna (formerly Aetna U.S. Healthcare), which I took into retirement after my GS career (I was FERS) and I didn't pay for either. I got my shots at Walgreens.
Sorry you missed out on that - for the most part I'm loving Tricare, it's the primary reason I stayed for twenty.

BOP

If you get shingles You will WISH you spent that $500!
I got shingles, and it's every bit as fun as you might expect.

No, no it's not.

I still have dry, itchy patches here and there on my skin from it. Frankly, it's a pain in the ass. Metaphorically. Not literally.

I didn't pay for the shots, but I would have if I'd have had to.