Medicare, Tricare for Life, and Shingles Vaccine

BOP

Your getting a shot after all the covid BS what are the chances of getting shingles anyway 1 in 100,000?
I had it, and it's not something I'd wish on anyone.

Okay, I can think of a few people.

Still.

The worst part is that it lingers. Mine was mostly on my back, and thank whoever invented Calamine spray. I think it would have driven me insane without that stuff.

BOP

Expect not feeling well after the vax.
If by "not feeling well," you mean your arm feels like you've been hit by a baseball bat, then absolutely.

Overall, I didn't feel too badly after getting the shot.

The pharmacy tech at Walgreens told me that my arm might be a little sore. When I came back for the second shot, she went to give me the shot and said "you might feel a little sore for a day or two," and I said "I take it you've never had this shot." She hadn't.

Both times, I was tender and sore for up to a week the first time, and about 4 days the second time. Like stubbing your toe really badly, or coming down with the arch of your foot on your evil children's Legos sore. But for days.

NOTSMC

They do.
Guess what? Not free after all. It's $150.00 deductible. Something about it falls under pharmacy and if you don't have Part D Medicare won't cover. So TFL steps in but in falls under medical and something something. Anyhoo here's the article bottom paragraph pertains.

• Wow
Reactions: BOP

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Got round one, covid hit, and I never got back to get the second shingles jab. I was supposed to go back in 6(?) weeks but never made it. Everything I've read so far says I should get the second shot regardless of how long its been. Thanks for the reminder @NOTSMC ! I watched a relative suffer shingles and don't want to deal with that.

Reactions: BOP

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

And .... just like with other "vaccines", covid, flu, etc., "A shingles vaccine may help prevent shingles." Also, "The shingles vaccine doesn't guarantee that you won't get shingles."

Information above taken from 'trusted' medical websites. People should try to strengthen their immune systems, since it is a weakened immune system that can cause the shingles to run havoc.

DaSDGuy

For your consideration ...

And .... just like with other "vaccines", covid, flu, etc., "A shingles vaccine may help prevent shingles." Also, "The shingles vaccine doesn't guarantee that you won't get shingles."

Information above taken from 'trusted' medical websites. People should try to strengthen their immune systems, since it is a weakened immune system that can cause the shingles to run havoc.
In adults 50 to 69 years old with healthy immune systems, Shingrix was 97% effective in preventing shingles; in adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 91% effective. CDC

Is it worth getting the shingles shot?

Yup! The shingles vaccine is the only way you can reduce your risk of getting shingles. We don't know what causes the chickenpox virus to reactivate, so we don't have other prevention options. Dec 3, 2023 clevelandclinic.org

Strengthening your immune system doesn't matter because 95% of the population already has the chickenpox virus in their system, and that is what causes shingles.

NOTSMC

Got round one, covid hit, and I never got back to get the second shingles jab. I was supposed to go back in 6(?) weeks but never made it. Everything I've read so far says I should get the second shot regardless of how long its been. Thanks for the reminder @NOTSMC ! I watched a relative suffer shingles and don't want to deal with that.
Anything for you Prch!

NOTSMC

About 10% if you had Chicken Pox, which is most of us older folks.
It's odd that a few have said what are the chances of getting it yourself. I really don't know a lot of people, not that social, but after a conversation with my BF last night, he named six more people that I do know. For a few hot seconds of pain associated with my fear of needles, it's worth it.

Clem72

It's odd that a few have said what are the chances of getting it yourself. I really don't know a lot of people, not that social, but after a conversation with my BF last night, he named six more people that I do know. For a few hot seconds of pain associated with my fear of needles, it's worth it.
I should probably get it too, considering I already had shingles. I had a particularly mild case though so it hasn't been top of my to do list.

Now, can I get a kidney stone vaccine?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I read something in magazine from a Dr. office a while back that it's like a 2% chance of getting shingles a second time, so it doesn't seem worth the worry.

Had it in 2007 and although it was bothersome, it didn't stop me from going to work, walking the dogs or any other errands.

NOTSMC

I read something in magazine from a Dr. office a while back that it's like a 2% chance of getting shingles a second time, so it doesn't seem worth the worry.

Had it in 2007 and although it was bothersome, it didn't stop me from going to work, walking the dogs or any other errands.
I read that it causes impotence!