Medicines versus Vitamins

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So, as some of you are aware, I'm not well. :crazy: There are no real treatments or cures. From what I understand, and have accepted, the doctors just want me to comfortable. :ohwell:

I've run the gambit on a wide variety of medications and it seems everything has a severe side effect and I seem to be the lucky one that always suffers the worst. Or I build up a tolerance to something and the docs up me until they can't anymore and then switch me again to something else.

Right now, I'm on the latest combos and have been for a while. Over $400 a month. :faint: I also just recently had my dosages upped. And I just can't anymore. I just can't. I'm miserable, depressed, gaining weight like crazy, losing my hair, my poor skin, brain fog, feeling nausea all the time, suffering from heartburn all the time, and so on, and I still have pain and I can't sleep at night.

I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to play the drug game. I don't want to continue getting unnecessary tests so the doctors can watch me deteriorate and do nothing but "try to make me comfortable".

However, I know I can't do "nothing". So I'm looking at vitamins/supplements and I'm going to try the "alternative" route. :biggrin: I'm not an idiot. I have been doing my research, and honestly some supplements seem to be just as effective. My neurologist had recommended specific vitamins in the past because of the research (biotin and B).

So my current vitamin list is the following - many I'll be trying for the first time:
Daily multi vitamin
Biotin
Calcium
alpha lipoic acid
Methylcobalamin B-12
Benfotiamine
Coq 10 Qunol
Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Vitamin D3

However, having said all that, have you gone "alternative" before? Thoughts, suggestions?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is not a recommendation, just a story:

Years ago one of my clients at Channel 10 had some serious health problems - I don't remember exactly what but he was up there in age. His doctor had him on Drug #1; then he had to take Drug #2 to temper Drug #1; and he had to take Drug #3 to fix side effects of Drug #2; etc etc etc. Every time I'd stop in to see him he felt like hell and looked like death's door.

A year or so passed, I hadn't seen him in awhile so I popped in. He looked fantastic! Color in his face, he'd put on some weight, just a huge turnaround. I said, wow, you look terrific! And he told me that he had finally said enough, threw away all the meds, said if I die I die but I'm not living like this anymore, started a vitamin/herbal regimen and changed his diet. He ended up hanging in there for another 15 years or so.

Mig, you're smart and you know your body.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
However, having said all that, have you gone "alternative" before? Thoughts, suggestions?

Yes, I think the doctors wanted to keep me alive and sick so I could continue to give them my money. Did you know every 7 years your body replaces all your cells? It’s true, science said so, so for me my broken guts were totally replaced 7 years after I got sick and because I didn’t leap off the Solomon’s bridge during that time, I actually feel better now. There wasn’t a holistic treatment that I wouldn’t try during those sad days. Now, because I stuck it out, I’ve found some natural stuff that helps.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
What vrai said. Sometimes I think the problem lies w/in all the medication people take.

Mig, I don't know what your diagnosis is, but it sounds like you are in pain?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
What vrai said. Sometimes I think the problem lies w/in all the medication people take.

Mig, I don't know what your diagnosis is, but it sounds like you are in pain?

Yes. It's an almost constant ache pain sensation with occasional knock me off my feet, bent into the fetal position, breathtaking pain sensation. I'm on pain blockers, which reduce intensity of the serious pain surges, but it's still a constant pattern of pain, and I think it will be no matter what. :shrug:

I've discovered I can deal with the pain, as long as I get regular sleep. If I can't sleep well then the pain intensity and "attacks" seems to elevate. The neurologist said it's because when I don't sleep, my body doesn't get that break and everything winds up being more intense and severe. :shrug:

However, my current bed time drugs just don't seem to work and my daytime drugs barely allow me to function. :lol:

As I said, I just don't want to continue to the next round of "guess the side effects". I've done a lot of drugs (prescription) over the past few years. :jet: Some work, some don't. But no matter what, eventually my max dosage is reached and I get moved onto to the next drug. And the last two rounds, the neurologist has been moving me into "more side effects" "more experimental" drugs and I'm feeling horrid.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yes. It's an almost constant ache pain sensation with occasional knock me off my feet, bent into the fetal position, breathtaking pain sensation. I'm on pain blockers, which reduce intensity of the serious pain surges, but it's still a constant pattern of pain, and I think it will be no matter what. :shrug:

I've discovered I can deal with the pain, as long as I get regular sleep. If I can't sleep well then the pain intensity and "attacks" seems to elevate. The neurologist said it's because when I don't sleep, my body doesn't get that break and everything winds up being more intense and severe. :shrug:

However, my current bed time drugs just don't seem to work and my daytime drugs barely allow me to function. :lol:

As I said, I just don't want to continue to the next round of "guess the side effects". I've done a lot of drugs (prescription) over the past few years. :jet: Some work, some don't. But no matter what, eventually my max dosage is reached and I get moved onto to the next drug. And the last two rounds, the neurologist has been moving me into "more side effects" "more experimental" drugs and I'm feeling horrid.

I can somewhat relate; but most of my inability to sleep, move or function occurs after surgeries; like the three I had this year. I was given a script for Percocet but was talked out of filling/taking it.
I can't even begin to imagine being in constant pain, unable to relax enough, without drugs, to get any beneficial rest. I feel for you. "Regular sleep" means 8 hours +-, I'm assuming. It almost sounds like you're a guinea pig. "Let's try this." "Now, let's try this." Your Dr. doesn't have empirical data to reference for situations like yours? Hey, at least you're a trend-setter. sorry.....

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I can somewhat relate; but most of my inability to sleep, move or function occurs after surgeries; like the three I had this year. I was given a script for Percocet but was talked out of filling/taking it.
I can't even begin to imagine being in constant pain, unable to relax enough, without drugs, to get any beneficial rest. I feel for you. "Regular sleep" means 8 hours +-, I'm assuming. It almost sounds like you're a guinea pig. "Let's try this." "Now, let's try this." Your Dr. doesn't have empirical data to reference for situations like yours? Hey, at least you're a trend-setter. sorry.....

Thanks. Sleep. Good old fashioned sleep. If I can get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, it's a miracle.

Unfortunately I have a neurological disorder. So there really isn't enough money being poured into that dead sexy category of research. Nobody knows much about the brain. :shrug: I'm going to John Hopkins, which IMHO, has the best neurologists in the US. However, as with most neurological disorders, they really can't do much but observe you and make you a guinea pig and "attempt to make you comfortable". For example, what has limited success in a recent study may have severe side effects. What is working successfully in say France, isn't FDA approved for the US. Most drugs being used to treat neurological conditions right now are extremely new on the market, or is something that has been on the market to treat something else and the drug creators think they have found - hey this group of people do well on it for other issues. All of which means that there isn't really enough "empirical data". :ohwell: I've refused one drug that's new - I wouldn't have been able to have any chocolate, nor caffeine, nor half a million other fabulous things. What kind of life is that? :diva: I love chocolate and coffee.

Again, I'm just done with the drugs. I can't do it anymore. I think my body has just said enough already.

Roman

So, as some of you are aware, I'm not well. :crazy: There are no real treatments or cures. From what I understand, and have accepted, the doctors just want me to comfortable. :ohwell:

I've run the gambit on a wide variety of medications and it seems everything has a severe side effect and I seem to be the lucky one that always suffers the worst. Or I build up a tolerance to something and the docs up me until they can't anymore and then switch me again to something else.

Right now, I'm on the latest combos and have been for a while. Over $400 a month. :faint: I also just recently had my dosages upped. And I just can't anymore. I just can't. I'm miserable, depressed, gaining weight like crazy, losing my hair, my poor skin, brain fog, feeling nausea all the time, suffering from heartburn all the time, and so on, and I still have pain and I can't sleep at night.

I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to play the drug game. I don't want to continue getting unnecessary tests so the doctors can watch me deteriorate and do nothing but "try to make me comfortable".

However, I know I can't do "nothing". So I'm looking at vitamins/supplements and I'm going to try the "alternative" route. :biggrin: I'm not an idiot. I have been doing my research, and honestly some supplements seem to be just as effective. My neurologist had recommended specific vitamins in the past because of the research (biotin and B).

So my current vitamin list is the following - many I'll be trying for the first time:
Daily multi vitamin
Biotin
Calcium
alpha lipoic acid
Methylcobalamin B-12
Benfotiamine
Coq 10 Qunol
Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Vitamin D3

Are your Multivitamins prescribed, or over the counter? Is the B-12 injectable? It seems as though the Vitamin B does a lot better if it's the injectable form. Your Doctor can order it and keep it at his/her office, and they can inject for you. Or you can ask them if they can teach you how to do it yourself, if you don't already know how. Keep in mind that your urine will be red about an hour after the injection. IMO prescribed Vitamins are far better than over-the-counter. Ask your doctor about that. Good luck to you Mig. It looks as though you are on some good vitamins, but good old fashioned medicine is in order too.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Thanks. Sleep. Good old fashioned sleep. If I can get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, it's a miracle.

Unfortunately I have a neurological disorder. So there really isn't enough money being poured into that dead sexy category of research. Nobody knows much about the brain. :shrug: I'm going to John Hopkins, which IMHO, has the best neurologists in the US. However, as with most neurological disorders, they really can't do much but observe you and make you a guinea pig and "attempt to make you comfortable". For example, what has limited success in a recent study may have severe side effects. What is working successfully in say France, isn't FDA approved for the US. Most drugs being used to treat neurological conditions right now are extremely new on the market, or is something that has been on the market to treat something else and the drug creators think they have found - hey this group of people do well on it for other issues. All of which means that there isn't really enough "empirical data". :ohwell: I've refused one drug that's new - I wouldn't have been able to have any chocolate, nor caffeine, nor half a million other fabulous things. What kind of life is that? :diva: I love chocolate and coffee.

Again, I'm just done with the drugs. I can't do it anymore. I think my body has just said enough already.

Since you chose to share on the open forum, I will to. Ever hear of Hydrocephalus? Well, that's what my Brother and I have; Congenital Hydrocephalus to be precise and we are both "shunted."

google.com - Hydrocephalus
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hydrocephalus

For me, this malaise led to vision problems; both physiological and cosmetic. Ever hear of 'Strabismus'? Ever see a close up Jaleel White/Urkel/Stephan? His eyes don't look in the same direction.

Since birth, I have had close to 20 surgeries; primarily for the 'brain surgery.' (Yeah, yeah, might explain some of the stuff I post.) UuummNO. There's a different reason for that.

In '93 I developed a "seizure disorder" out of a clear blue sky and was prescribed Phenytoin or "Phenytek." This med keeps the seizures at bay as long as I take them.....every day. I just hope they don't go out of production. Unlike you, I cannot say, 'I'm done with drugs.' If I just stop taking my pills; because I drive; I'd likely kill myself or someone else. I tried stopping.....once because I said, 'I'm not taking pills for the rest of my life!'; wound up in the hospital. I also missed two or three days on a different occasion because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.
Lesson learned the hard way. Thing about this med; it knocks me on my a**. Once I take it and relax; ie; watch TV or something sedentary, I'm out; and a freight train running through the middle of the house wouldn't make me flinch. So, one way or the other, I get enough rest.

Cool story, huh?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I've actually stopped treating a lot of "stuff" and instead use herbs or simple remedies for myself and my daughter. She as of yet has not been on any antibiotics or medications other than occasional Tylenol or her antihistamine. I feel better because I honestly think the cure is worse than the issue 9/10. Granted i'm talking minor things like UTIs, ear infections, sinus infections etc. We sort of bombard ourselves and our children with medications from birth and I've been caught in "loops" before with antibiotics and infections and the never ending annoyance. Healthy living with vitamin support, ultra healthy nutrient dense non inflammatory foods, regular rest and exercise have been shown to be just as effective as traditional medicines for a TON of different maladies. It sounds like you're working with a doc and just doing some extra support for yourself, and I think that's the ideal way to approach most chronic issues. Another option for you may be regular massage therapy. there have been numerous studies on the effects of regular massage therapy on neurological disorders (most commonly MS, but others as well) and have shown that they can significantly reduce pain and even increase measures of functioning like balance, response time, gait, etc. I know many people who swear by acupuncture as well, though that just doesn't have the scientific backing that massage does..but hey, it cant HURT, right? Anyway good luck! Good health is so complex and we are lucky we have so much info at our disposal

Negahban, H., Rezaie, S., & Goharpey, S. (2013). Massage therapy and exercise therapy in patients with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled pilot study. Clinical Rehabilitation, 27(12), 1126-1136. doi:10.1177/0269215513491586

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I didn't read all the replies, so this may be repeat info. Why not give juicing a try? Mix up a batch of fresh carrot juice with some other greens & fruits. Try it for 3 weeks and see how you feel.

Juice link

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I didn't read all the replies, so this may be repeat info. Why not give juicing a try? Mix up a batch of fresh carrot juice with some other greens & fruits. Try it for 3 weeks and see how you feel.

Juice link

That sounds reasonable to me.

Playing doctor on line, in cases like hers, things all out of whack, it just sounds like she needs a reset. Our bodies WANT to do their thing but when things get out of whack, because of the mysteries still in us all, sometimes, things can get messed up. Docs start chasing the problem with one ingredient, messing up other things, unintended consequences, if she could just be pulled from her environment, including current foods and medicines, for 3-4 weeks, I dunno. :shrug: A buddy of mind said something that just stuck with me; food IS medicine. Ergo good, balanced food = good medicine.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
About a month ago, I started taking Curcumin (TURMERIC) for digestive issues and I have been very happy with the results. However, many claim it has provided them relief in many other ways.

Turmeric is a plant. You probably know turmeric as the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, and cheeses. But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine.

Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), stomach pain, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomachbloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems and gallbladder disorders.

It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, and cancer. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer’s disease, water retention, worms, and kidney problems.

It is believed the chemicals in turmeric might decrease swelling (inflammation).

Roman

About a month ago, I started taking Curcumin (TURMERIC) for digestive issues and I have been very happy with the results. However, many claim it has provided them relief in many other ways.

Turmeric is a plant. You probably know turmeric as the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, and cheeses. But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine.

Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), stomach pain, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomachbloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems and gallbladder disorders.

It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, and cancer. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer’s disease, water retention, worms, and kidney problems.

It is believed the chemicals in turmeric might decrease swelling (inflammation).
Does this come in pill/capsule form? If so, what brand do you buy, and where do you get it? Thanks.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Pay attention to the multiple bottle discounts

•Save 10% each on Qualifying items offered by MZL Solutions when you purchase 2 or more. Enter code PSSAVE10 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
•Save 15% each on Qualifying items offered by MZL Solutions when you purchase 3 or more. Enter code PSSAVE15 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
•Save 20% each on Qualifying items offered by MZL Solutions when you purchase 4 or more. Enter code PSSAVE20 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)

I have colitis and only 1 kidney (which I've posted about in the past - left kidney failed in childhood due to a UPJ obstruction that went untreated nor was surgery an option when I was younger because it didn't exist) so I either suffer with my digestive issues, take prescription meds at the cost of my good kidney that may or may not help or find other alternatives. I'm not one to take supplements that don't work. I give it a month and if no change, I stop taking them but this, IMO, is good stuff. I'm on my 2nd month and have noticed I feel much better.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

it is an amazing herb