Men not marrying? How deep does "the problem" go?

Foxhound

Finishing last
Didn't watch the video but my first thought was, not deep enough or women would be willing to marry them. :killingme

C

czygvtwkr

Why would men want to? When it goes wrong he is the one that pays up.

Toxick

Splat
Extremely thought provoking and interesting video.

Many of the truths relayed in this video, I thought, were self-evident, but it seems that they are not. I highly recommend watching it with an open mind.

Right around 15:00-15:30, it starts to get pretty enlightening.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Extremely thought provoking and interesting video.

Many of the truths relayed in this video, I thought, were self-evident, but it seems that they are not. I highly recommend watching it with an open mind.

Right around 15:00-15:30, it starts to get pretty enlightening.

Nothing is self evident to a 'real' guy about our role and relationship with one another as guys. She is dead on about what motivates us and when someone says it we go 'Yeah!" but, when we're being shamed to go die in a war for the chance to be thought of as a 'worthy' guy, we're not realizing it at the time OR we would say "#### YOU!". We're guys. We don't think about that stuff. It HAS to be pointed out or, before we know it, we're lined up shoulder to shoulder, getting mowed down, wondering how the hell we got here.

Same thing with all this other stuff. The ONLY reason we have a society where marriage is less and less a good idea for guys is because guys MADE things this way because we thought, think, this is what women want, ie, we were shamed into it.

And, now, we're sitting here in this mess we made in order to impress women and we sift through it trying to make sense of it.

I mean, look at Obama. This is why men do not admire or respect him; he is a woman without a womb ( a line I loved, btw, makes perfect sense). Obama is, truly, besides his $.10 ability to ejaculate, useless as a man and therefore, the PERFECT president for our age. Perfect in the sense that he is the penultimate representation of all that we messed up.

Now, look at Bush; a little boy. Guys like him because he landed on a carrier, something we'd all love to do. But, it's a childish thing for a president to do. But, we, at 30 years of age, play video games so, it's cool! Further, we like George because he can operate a chain saw. He doesn't throw or bowl or hold a gun like a girl. He is a 'guy'. But, like Obama, he's not doing anything to win, to be the guy who can fix things, protect the family, change the oil. He did things based on the female expectation. Even war, the ultimate guy thing, he fought it with the expectations of wanting to offend women as little as possible.

Our jobs, the respect of being a master plumber, carpenter, electrician, THE man who can do things, know things, all gone to being able to manage an IT environment; excellent clerks, filers and sorters. Glorified librarians.

Look at our leaders. There are no Goldwaters any more. No Ike. No guy guys.

We have McCain and McConnell and Boehner and Cantor and Ryan and Cruz and Rubio. Would you call any of them if you needed to fix something? To shoot a wolf?

Interesting video. :buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are a few glaring flaws in this woman's diatribe. The #1 flaw is asking "why aren't men getting married?" in the first place. They are clearly getting married. They marry just as often as women. They get married every day. Hell, they marry each other now.

After that she dredges up a few anecdotes to support her theory of why men aren't getting married, which is going off on an erroneous tangent since we have already determined that men are indeed getting married.

To the woman who wrote the piece to which this woman is responding, I say:

Men are getting married. I know a number of men who want more than anything to get married and have a permanent companion/partner. However, they apparently aren't marrying you for whatever reason. So that would be the ultimate question you need to ask yourself: why don't men want to marry you?

My suspicion is that there is a specific man this woman has set her sights on, who doesn't return her affection. So instead of accepting that this particular man doesn't want to marry her, she is trying to soothe her ego by saying NO men want to get married, thereby making it not her fault.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PS, when she says that women deeming 80% of men on OKCupid as being of less than average attractiveness is in no way in line with reality - um, chickie, let me suggest that statistical analysis is not your forte.

Physically attractive men meet women in real life, they don't have to use some dating site. So it stands to reason that the less attractive men will be need to advertise, which means the majority of men on dating sites will be of less than average physical attractiveness, depending on what you consider "average".

I will also suggest that 80% of men on dating sites are of less than average mental and social capabilities as well. If they did have social skills, they would meet women in real life.

PPS, same goes for women on dating sites.

Last edited:

Curious99

I’m not sure what the point is but it is an interesting rant. Cultural issues with men’s unemployment & imprisonment & low wages, working women, socially acceptable divorce & out of wedlock births all play into this. I’ve been reading that the poor and near poor don’t get married any more. Women have a lot more options these days and there are worse situations than being single.

You have to take things as they are and not project some idealized romantic version of how they might have been. Life is what you make it.

Last edited: