Mental Illness Stigma

ArkRescue;4384366[url=http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100915080437.htm said:
Mental illness stigma entrenched in American culture; new strategies needed, study finds[/url]
"Stigma, the well-documented reluctance by many to socialize or work with people who have a mental or substance abuse disorder, is considered a major obstacle to effective treatment for many Americans who experience these devastating illnesses. It can produce discrimination in employment, housing, medical care and social relationships, and negatively impact the quality of life for these individuals, their families and friends."

I don't think an individual should be expected to or forced to include a mentally ill person in their lives or their home or on their property, etc. It is a personal choice.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Substance abuse is not a mental illness. It's a character weakness and there SHOULD be a stigma. A huge one.

As for actual mental illness, the stigma is wrong, as most (and I say most because a surprising number are just frauds) can't help it. But anyone who has consistantly worked with people with severe mental illness, knows that it is a tough undertaking, mentally draining, and best done by a specific type of person. I firmly believe you have to have an aptitude for it..in the unit we used to say "takes one to know one" jokingly of course, but probably not far off. It is not easy to have relationships or employ people with these ilnesses, or care for them or any of the things mentioned.

annemayer

Substance abuse is not a mental illness. It's a character weakness and there SHOULD be a stigma. A huge one.

As for actual mental illness, the stigma is wrong, as most (and I say most because a surprising number are just frauds) can't help it. But anyone who has consistantly worked with people with severe mental illness, knows that it is a tough undertaking, mentally draining, and best done by a specific type of person. I firmly believe you have to have an aptitude for it..in the unit we used to say "takes one to know one" jokingly of course, but probably not far off. It is not easy to have relationships or employ people with these ilnesses, or care for them or any of the things mentioned.

I agree with you. Big difference between say,a kid with down syndrome and mental retardation and a crackhead. My aunt was mentally retarded,and she lived with my grandmother all her life until she passed at 50-something. Everyone in the family was quick to criticize after she was gone that my grandmother could have done more,should have done more,and so forth,but she stuck by my aunt for 50 years,never having any help,and it was HARD. I don't know how she had the strength to do it,and wouldn't dare to criticize.
Drug addicts on the other hand,choose their path,and yes,there is a biological component to addiction,but you can only get addicted if you do the drugs. So no matter how you cut it,it IS their own fault. That said,everyone is someone's child,and it's sad to see anyone throw their life away,but it is not fair to expect people who have worked hard to measured with the same stick. Some discrimination is to be expected - most drug abusers in the long term do suffer a neurologic effect,which can manifest as mental illness. And when it does it can be a frightening thing.