Metrocast--anybody seeing the new internet speeds yet?

imaref

Yes, there are download caps--different depending on your package (per month; unused data does not roll over to next month):

MetroCast Access 25GB
MetroCast High Speed Express 100GB
MetroCast High Speed Turbo 250GB
MetroCast High Speed Ultra 350GB

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yes, there are download caps--different depending on your package (per month; unused data does not roll over to next month):

MetroCast Access 25GB
MetroCast High Speed Express 100GB
MetroCast High Speed Turbo 250GB
MetroCast High Speed Ultra 350GB

what happens when you exceed your cap

BernieP

Resident PIA
Nothing, when they first implemented the caps they stated that they didn't have everything in place in our region to enforce them and to my knowledge that never changed.

Just wondered, some vendors throttle back your service, some just charge you extra.

imaref

Well according to the news today, "Starting June 1st, Comcast is more than tripling the monthly data threshold from 300 GB to a full terabyte."

Get with the program, Metrocast!

TheLibertonian

Well according to the news today, "Starting June 1st, Comcast is more than tripling the monthly data threshold from 300 GB to a full terabyte."

Get with the program, Metrocast!

It's amazing what happens when Comcast suddenly has to compete with Google how fast they are trying to get their crap together.

imaref

Got that right.

I don't think 1TB is unreasonable. I would like to get Netflix streaming service but our monthly use is pushing 350GB without it (the Directv Genie eats up alot of data when using their streaming service that's included in the cost, plus Youtube, streaming music, etc.). With 1TB I think we could get Netflix and not go over a 1TB allowance.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
83-85M Down

First I heard about this, but it looks like I am getting the new speed.

First test was 84.95M using http://beta.speedtest.net/ (non-Flash version)

Second was 83.00M using http://speedtest.net/ (Flash version)

I am in Callaway

But, I have a mess of stuff running on my PC and my 1Gbps ethernet is throttled at 100Mbps (Must have a poor connection on the CAT5)

Is there a better service to use other than speedtest.net?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    53.1 KB · Views: 287

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
It's amazing what happens when Comcast suddenly has to compete with Google how fast they are trying to get their crap together.
I pray that when the Metrocast contract is up, we don't get stuck with COMCAST. The horror stories I have heard about them. Appears to be a company where the only thing that matters is profit and the customer is only a means to that end. At least Metrocast is a relatively small business. I've been happy with their service (Internet-only, no TV)

Ah, I still remember the day when the government used to enforce the monopoly laws.

Last edited:

TheLibertonian

I pray that when the Metrocast contract is up, we don't get stuck with COMCAST. The horror stories I have heard about them. Appears to be a company where the only thing that matters is profit and the customer is only a means to that end. At least Metrocast is a relatively small business. I've been happy with their service (Internet-only, no TV)

Ah, I still remember the day when the government used to enforce the monopoly laws.

I'm of the long-standing opinion that the telecommunications industry is the biggest unfair trade practice corporate groupings in America. The fact that they've agreed not to compete with each other should be a massive red flag

koan00

First I heard about this, but it looks like I am getting the new speed.

First test was 84.95M using http://beta.speedtest.net/ (non-Flash version)

Second was 83.00M using http://speedtest.net/ (Flash version)

I am in Callaway

But, I have a mess of stuff running on my PC and my 1Gbps ethernet is throttled at 100Mbps (Must have a poor connection on the CAT5)

Is there a better service to use other than speedtest.net?
You are hitting the maximum transfer rate of your 100Mbps connection (Ethernet/overhead from protocol loss, etc). If you could get the the gigabit link speed, you'd likely see over 100Mbps in your speed test.