Metrocast

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Is anyone else in Lexington Park having issues with their Metrocast Internet service?

Called customer service and they are going to send out a tech tomorrow. Wondering if it might be more than just my connection.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I am getting nothing. Modem sits with a blinking receive light.

I checked the logs and it seems to have had a failure this morning. Assuming right now that the modem may have had some issues after the storm this morning. Power does not appear to have gone out in the house though.

Hijinx

I am getting nothing. Modem sits with a blinking receive light.

I checked the logs and it seems to have had a failure this morning. Assuming right now that the modem may have had some issues after the storm this morning. Power does not appear to have gone out in the house though.

Tired of watching the TV set turn to blocks instead of a picture. They say it's the sun. BS

Goldenhawk

My Metrocast connection has been very flaky the last couple of days. Frequent (multiple times per hour) dropped connections by my cable modem; sometimes a modem reboot fixes it, sometimes not. Even when connected, the upload speeds have been lousy. My teenagers have been fussing about poor gaming connectivity (awwww, world's tiniest violin plays for thee... cry me a river...).

CRHS89

I had problems connecting most of the day yesterday. Haven't tried much today but since about 8 tonight it has been fine. What logs are you talking about checking? And how to you check your Mbps?

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Connect directly to the modem like you would to a router for servicing. Type 192.168.100.1 in the browser bar and you should get the modems information page. There are tabs on the side that have different options. Speedtest.net is how most people check download and upload speeds.

The last few days it has kicked me off of some of the streaming services on the xbox. Some nights it goes with no issues, others I had no service. Today however it won't even do a full boot cycle

wubbles

I pay for 50 down and never get over 25. It's a crock of ####. And yes I know the fine print says "up to" 50. It could say up to 25 and still be true. Might as well say up to 1000 because 50 is already a lie, might as well go big.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
They came and repaired the system. Turns out the cable running to the street was messed up. Just some nicks and the tech said that the cable was soft. Thinking a mole may have ran into it.

Speedtest shows 14.2 down and 1.7 up, and 12ms ping.

Hijinx

I pay for 50 down and never get over 25. It's a crock of ####. And yes I know the fine print says "up to" 50. It could say up to 25 and still be true. Might as well say up to 1000 because 50 is already a lie, might as well go big.

Lately I have been having trouble getting sites to finish building./

BernieP

Resident PIA

The problem with the way cable companies implement their service is everybody feeds into the same line - think of it as a pipe.
During times when others are not using the pipe your speed will increase, when everybody else is trying to get online, the copper wire can only carry so much data, so your speed is reduced.
What they do when they sell the "premium" packages is to put a throttle on those who do not purchase the upgrade. So while it doesn't guarantee performance at the top end, it increases your access by limiting theirs.
Fiber increase the amount of data the line can handle.
DSL, while slower, provides a direct link to the switch, so you aren't affected by peak time usage.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Connect directly to the modem like you would to a router for servicing. Type 192.168.100.1 in the browser bar and you should get the modems information page. There are tabs on the side that have different options. Speedtest.net is how most people check download and upload speeds.

The last few days it has kicked me off of some of the streaming services on the xbox. Some nights it goes with no issues, others I had no service. Today however it won't even do a full boot cycle

I tried to input the sequence you listed above and it ask for log in info. Which info do I need to give?

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I tried to input the sequence you listed above and it ask for log in info. Which info do I need to give?

Do you have the wireless router/modem combo? You may need a password to access the router side of it. In which case it should have a "key" or possibly password on the information tag on the modem. At least thats the way the FIOS one is for my Grandfather.

I have the basic modem, and 2 separate routers (no wifi on one, just use it as a switch), as well as an ethernet over power setup for my older equipment and Xbox's.

Here is a screen shot of the main page, and I was incorrect, you can access this page without a direct connection to the modem. I was able to pull it up with my phone.

FireShot Screen Capture #125 - 'Modem Configuration_ Status - Connection' - 192_168_100_1.jpg

Here is a screen shot of speedtest. Roughly 40' away with 3 walls in between the test location and the router.

FireShot Screen Capture #127 - 'Speedtest_net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test' - www_.jpg