MeTV....historic stuff

GregV814

Popeyes cartoons, especially before WWII, are pretty neat. Its not the content, but the background illustrations in the cartoon. The art deco buildings , classy cars, slang terminology etc... I am surprised that in todays PC environment, some are still allowed on television. Yes, I know many many are banned and lost forever. For instance, this morning, Popeye was in India or some other Middle East Country. A Prince or Sheik was smoking something in a hookah pipe...he had a sinister, snakelike face and missing teeth....Oh My!!!! He rubbed the magical lamp and a gay Genie popped out.... Oh My!
Sweetpea had a tattoo on his arm??? Was he Popeyes kid??? Oh No!!
Betty Boop was quite the sex symbol huh?
I dont remember the significance of any of this when I was gulping down my Cheerios before school . It probably didnt to our parents in their youth either... IF they even had access to a "movie house"...

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, given the distro back then, those comics had to operate on two levels, as it was of course a family affair, my Dads (born in 1926) family in Alabama had the monthly trip to the movie house, where you got the cartoons, and the newsreels, and then the movie.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I was surprised to learn that color wasn't invented until the 6th season of the Andy Griffith Show.

BugsBunnyNipstheNips_Lobby_Card.png