Mexico...um, this is not looking good.

SamSpade

Years ago, I had friends who went down to Mexico City for several months. One thing they came back with (besides dysentery) was the story that police won't lift a finger without a bribe.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Maybe they'll fix their own problems so they don't have to come here for a half way decent life.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
As weak and troubled as Mexico seems, I'd wager we WON'T see the following headlines soon:
"U.S. SEVERS DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS WITH MEXICO"
"U.S. INVADES MEXICO"
"MEXICAN GOVERNMENT CAPITULATES TO UNITED STATES"
"MARTIAL LAW DECLARED THROUGHOUT MEXICO"
"U.S. PRESIDENT ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR NEW MEXICAN DEMOCRACY"

However, I think the ideas are great for a new novel! :lmao:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I don't understand why people go there. Has anyone been anywhere in Mexico that wasn't a sh!thole?

Of all the nasty places in the world that I've been to, Mexico is the worst. That means it is worse than Pakistan, the Phillipines, and Waldorf.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
elaine said:
Which part of that was funny? I don't think it's so far fetched.

I think it was an optimistic view, myself. It sure would be nice if they COULD fix their own problems. Good thinkin'. :yay:

A couple of questions for general discussion:

Looking at it from a capitalistic point of view, what could they do to be self-sufficient?

How could they generate enough honest revenue to (a) get their infrastructure straightened out and (b) get their quality of life up to reasonable standards without picking Uncle Sam's pocket?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Railroad said:
How could they generate enough honest revenue to (a) get their infrastructure straightened out and (b) get their quality of life up to reasonable standards without picking Uncle Sam's pocket?

If they can overthrow the government, the money is there in tourism.

Hessian

The wisdom of our founders comes through again...they knew that Democracy would fail if the people are immoral.

The only way to put Mexico on the right track...return to law & order, execution of drug lords & terrorists, encourage micro-market of goods and properly manage the oil resources.

All begins with honesty/integrity in its public servants,...which cannot be stimulated without patriotism & faith in ultimate judgement: god.

PJay

MMDad said:
I don't understand why people go there. Has anyone been anywhere in Mexico that wasn't a sh!thole?

Yes. Friends in California took me across the border, they wanted me to experience the place. It was a shock after acrossing the border, like landing on another planet. I loved the views along the cliffs and ocean how untouched it all was compared to here. Saw little shacks along the way where someone might live. Has been a few years now, but I have never forgotton the experience and was glad for it. Makes one realize even more clear what we have here in the US.

I'll never forget the place we ate at along the ocean..was a nice place and for only a couple dollars they served a stack of banana pancakes sky high on my plate and 1lb. of bacon on another plate. I was shocked.

My hopes is that the Mexican people by coming here are learning something and will take it back to their country and make it a wonderful place for all.

SamSpade

Railroad said:
As weak and troubled as Mexico seems, I'd wager we WON'T see the following headlines soon:
"U.S. SEVERS DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS WITH MEXICO"
"U.S. INVADES MEXICO"
"MEXICAN GOVERNMENT CAPITULATES TO UNITED STATES"
"MARTIAL LAW DECLARED THROUGHOUT MEXICO"
"U.S. PRESIDENT ANNOUNCES PLANS FOR NEW MEXICAN DEMOCRACY"

However, I think the ideas are great for a new novel! :lmao:

What if a terrorist supporting despot gets elected in the upcoming elections?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
elaine said:
If they can overthrow the government, the money is there in tourism.

Do you really think so? Something like Cancoun (sp?)? I guess, properly marketed, that could be true. One big draw being the Incan (or is it Mayan?) ruins. They also have a very young volcano. I guess I should go look and see what else they have to offer touristas.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If Mexico implodes, oh well. They did this to themselves. That's probably why the Mexican illegals in this country are twisting themselves in knots over the possiblity of having to actually follow a law - they're not used to it.

:rolleyes:

J

juggy4805

If Mexico becomes a part of the US, their will be no argument about the cost of medicine.