Michelle’s school lunch program going to the pigs

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A government program. Why wouldn't they control it?

*sigh* Just like everything else. Let 'em control everything, right? At least we've seen a lot of school systems tell the government to go pound sand, keep the money, and fixed the garbage chow problem on their own.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
*sigh* Just like everything else. Let 'em control everything, right? At least we've seen a lot of school systems tell the government to go pound sand, keep the money, and fixed the garbage chow problem on their own.

Gilligan, it's *their* program. Who else is going to control it? If parents don't want their kid eating what the government program is providing, they can feed the kid themselves. Sensationalist news stories aside, it's still not against the law for parents to pack their kids a lunch. And yes, states have the option to opt out.

What's the problem?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
THAT IS THE POINT. Every year, more and more of everything that goes on in this country is *their* program. At some point, everything will be. I am most certainly not OK with that.

Schools have been government programs at least since I was in kindergarten in 1967. How has it changed?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... EXCEPT, no one can get any of the product because corporate policy is the outdated items are to be destroyed. It's now thrown into a locked dumpster and bleach is poured on it to insure it can not be recycled.

Im sure the Federal Gov something to do with this [tax write offs for spoiled food - if I had to guess]

like cars traded in for cash for clunkers ..... x days to strip parts, then crushed

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Gilligan, it's *their* program. Who else is going to control it? If parents don't want their kid eating what the government program is providing, they can feed the kid themselves. Sensationalist news stories aside, it's still not against the law for parents to pack their kids a lunch. And yes, states have the option to opt out.

What's the problem?

Even bigger than that, if these states don't want to be told what to do with respect to nutrition at school, they can refuse the federal education dollars and they won't be bound by those terms. The program which results in these liberty robbing schools nutrition guidelines or whatever they are is completely voluntary. There is nothing which compels the accepting of these monies.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
You can't be serious...the DoE did not even EXIST before 1979. ???

The National School Lunch Program has been around since 1946.

The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program operating in public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. The program was established under the National School Lunch Act, signed by President Harry Truman in 1946.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/nslp/national-school-lunch-program-nslp

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

The National School Lunch Program, administered by the Department of Agriculture, was designed to distribute the uncontrolled accumulation of Commodity foods (remember all the jokes about Commodity Cheese?) rather than store them in underground caverns. Once the accumulations diminished, the program turned into a cash-for-performance program to which numerous school systems became addicted.

Bann

PREMO Member
The National School Lunch Program, administered by the Department of Agriculture, was designed to distribute the uncontrolled accumulation of Commodity foods (remember all the jokes about Commodity Cheese?) rather than store them in underground caverns. Once the accumulations diminished, the program turned into a cash-for-performance program to which numerous school systems became addicted.

That was not the point Vrai made. She said that the school lunch program had been around since she first went to school in 1967. And it was.

BigBlue

OH CHIT , you know you can't use facts with GIlligain it will make his head swell up and the blood pressure will go thru the roof then he'll just start more stupid stuff ,not good !

Bann

PREMO Member
OH CHIT , you know you can't use facts with GIlligain it will make his head swell up and the blood pressure will go thru the roof then he'll just start more stupid stuff ,not good !

Good grief, would you give it a rest, already? You're like a freaking gnat buzzing around incessantly. Grow up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Folks, I understand your ire and fear of government's iron fist, but this is a bad cause to get behind. Especially since there are so many others to choose from. When conservatives rail against encouraging kids to eat healthy, it makes them look stupid. And when they argue that it's the government's responsibility to feed kids - feed them junk food, no less - now they've nuked the shark.

Seriously, I beg you - drop this "issue" and spend your froth and venom more wisely. You cannot polish this turd.

Hijinx

Folks, I understand your ire and fear of government's iron fist, but this is a bad cause to get behind. Especially since there are so many others to choose from. When conservatives rail against encouraging kids to eat healthy, it makes them look stupid. And when they argue that it's the government's responsibility to feed kids - feed them junk food, no less - now they've nuked the shark.

Seriously, I beg you - drop this "issue" and spend your froth and venom more wisely. You cannot polish this turd.

I feel much the same way. Send the kids a lunch in a bag. But it is silly to have a lunch program that kids won't eat and goes in the garbage.
It's not so much froth and venom as doing something stupid like tossing away food kids won't eat.

Who is the dummy?
People trying to stop waste
Or a government subsidizing waste by trying to force kids to eat whet they don't want.
I suppose it's a rock and a hard place.

Is it better to let kids have food they will eat or toss what they won't eat in the trash.?