Michelle Obma named fitness role model.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Not to objectify The First Lady as 'just a woman' but IMO, it depends on what Mrs. Obama wears that makes her either look like a linebacker or a ballroom dancer. Case in point.....The President's Inaugural Ball. But, put her in a business suit and.....she looks like a linebacker.....must be the shoulder pads.

Sarah Palin? :drool: She'd look good in a flannel potato sack.

Ahem.....

Attachments

• Cleans up pretty nice.jpg
    Cleans up pretty nice.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 74

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Whats all the uproar over, Obama was given a Nobel Peace Prize.

New day and age, everybody wins a trophy, everybody gets a title...:buddies:

chernmax

Sounds an awful lot like Special Olympics.

IMO it's an insult to Special Olympics seeming how many of those athletes wish they had the abilities that so many healthy people take for granted or get rewarded for...:coffee:

Every time I've volunteered working with Special Olympics you feel a desire to give and do more for people of all ages and races who truly have a need. People rewarded with awards or titles for the sake of an ego or agenda make my blood boil...

Help the helpless, not the clueless, and reward what is earned... :diva:

Last edited:

DocHudson

Seat Belts Save Boobs
Dont Forget

Don't forget about all that strenuous Gardening she does. What a Joke She and Her Husband are. They think he won a Four Year Vacation.
:buddies:

Michelle Obama named fitness role model - UPI.com

I am certainly sorry for anything disparaging I have ever said about Muchell Obama 's looks It seems you guys were right and I was wrong, since fitness magazine deemed her a role model for fitness.

I would have made another pick, but they obviously are much More expert at such things than I . I would probably have picked someone who runs marathons , hunts and fishes,rides snowmobiles writes books. But like I say, these folks are a lot wiser than I. :buddies:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Okay, I was trying to avoid it but I have to wade in on this one. Michelle Obama IS the First Lady (no matter how much some of might wish that someone with her attitudes about America not be near that White House). All first ladies choose a pet project to work with. Nancy Reagan chose anti-drugs and Foster Grandparents, Laura Bush chose reading, etc., etc. Youth Fitness is obviously Michelle's choice. Quite frankly, I think that's great if it helps kids get into eating more healthfully and exercising as we have a growing (pun intended) problem with childhood obesity. I'd just like to throw out that sometimes a message like that comes better from someone who is struggling just like a lot of people to STAY fit and in shape. It's kind of the "we're in the same boat" thing that tends to resonate and spark improvement, instead of looking at someone who is absolutely positively fit and giving up before you even get started because you figure "no way can I ever get THERE".

Not knocking Sarah Palin as I would have personally loved to see her as a role model in this area. She certainly exemplifies where most of us would LIKE to be, as far as fitness!

Bottom line is, I think it has a good chance of succeeding, especially with our African American students, who seem to have a higher incidence of problems in this area. Teaching our kids to eat healthier now will save them money in food and doctor bills when they are older. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Besides, I'd rather see a First Lady get her fingers into something like this instead of mucking about in stuff like foreign policy!:coffee:

chernmax

Okay, I was trying to avoid it but I have to wade in on this one. Michelle Obama IS the First Lady (no matter how much some of might wish that someone with her attitudes about America not be near that White House). All first ladies choose a pet project to work with. Nancy Reagan chose anti-drugs and Foster Grandparents, Laura Bush chose reading, etc., etc. Youth Fitness is obviously Michelle's choice. Quite frankly, I think that's great if it helps kids get into eating more healthfully and exercising as we have a growing (pun intended) problem with childhood obesity. I'd just like to throw out that sometimes a message like that comes better from someone who is struggling just like a lot of people to STAY fit and in shape. It's kind of the "we're in the same boat" thing that tends to resonate and spark improvement, instead of looking at someone who is absolutely positively fit and giving up before you even get started because you figure "no way can I ever get THERE".

Not knocking Sarah Palin as I would have personally loved to see her as a role model in this area. She certainly exemplifies where most of us would LIKE to be, as far as fitness!

Bottom line is, I think it has a good chance of succeeding, especially with our African American students, who seem to have a higher incidence of problems in this area. Teaching our kids to eat healthier now will save them money in food and doctor bills when they are older. Sounds like a win-win to me!

Besides, I'd rather see a First Lady get her fingers into something like this instead of mucking about in stuff like foreign policy!:coffee:

I couldn't agree with you more, but on this endeavor the corrupt SEIU (Right Hand of ACORN) are the prime supporters of this initiative and pulling the promotion strings with the hopes of making Billions on new government (taxpayer) funded more entitlement healthy food choices provided at the hands of the purple shirts SEIU. They even want to go beyond healthy school lunches and include dinners and continue with summer programs. Again, when government gives you everything, you become more dependent and have less initiative to do for ones self...

Healthy YES, Government Backed SEIU Dependent Health and wellness? Hell NO!!!

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
FTA:

Fitness magazine named Michelle Obama one of 10 role models committed to bringing healthy living, exercise and better nutrition to U.S. communities.

The magazine's first annual Champions of Health and Fitness Awards were nominated by health experts for their contributions over the past year. Aso named were: Serena Williams; Donna Karan; Anne Mahlum; James Park and Eric Friedman; Julie Wilkes; Mick Cornett; Mia Birk; Jamie Dukes, Rich Eisen and Scott Hanson and Dr. Margaret A. Hamburg.

Obama's initiative, "Let's Move," is aimed at ending childhood obesity.

"(One), thing that has made a real difference in our lives is sitting down together as a family for each meal," Obama told Fitness.

I have not been Michelle's biggest fan. (LOL) But she's taking a stand on trying to be a positive influence to a country full of kids WHO ARE OBESE! Personally, I am glad to see her involved in a platform such as this. I've personally been wondering what her platform as FIRST LADY would be. Kudos to her for taking this on.

And to be fair, the picture of Michelle in this thread is not current. She does have great arms, but she's also got the attribute of bigger hips. WHATEVER, lots of women do. :howdy: And, lest I seem like I'm stereotyping, it's really not an uncommon physical attribute of a lot of African American woman. (just sayin', I am not trying to be insulting)

Now - the simple comment about the special olympics is just stupid and asinine. And I'm being kind because that has ticked me off.

Yeah, they all do get a fricking trophey - FOR PARTICIPATION! The playing field for the special olympians is not the same as the playing field for people with "normal" abilities. They work harder at just being there than any athlete with regular abilities.

My son has been in the special olympics and he's gotten some medals for his participation. Do you think I roll my eyes at him and say "yeah but everyone gets one"?

So Imnomensa & Lenny - how many trophies do you have for your "special abilities"? I can think of one I'd like to give you right now. :burning:

Touched a nerve this afternoon, y'all.

bcp

In My Opinion
FTA:

Now - the simple comment about the special olympics is just stupid and asinine. And I'm being kind because that has ticked me off.

Yeah, they all do get a fricking trophey - FOR PARTICIPATION! The playing field for the special olympians is not the same as the playing field for people with "normal" abilities. They work harder at just being there than any athlete with regular abilities.

My son has been in the special olympics and he's gotten some medals for his participation. Do you think I roll my eyes at him and say "yeah but everyone gets one"?

So Imnomensa & Lenny - how many trophies do you have for your "special abilities"? I can think of one I'd like to give you right now. :burning:

:yay:

ImnoMensa

FTA:

I have not been Michelle's biggest fan. (LOL) But she's taking a stand on trying to be a positive influence to a country full of kids WHO ARE OBESE! Personally, I am glad to see her involved in a platform such as this. I've personally been wondering what her platform as FIRST LADY would be. Kudos to her for taking this on.

And to be fair, the picture of Michelle in this thread is not current. She does have great arms, but she's also got the attribute of bigger hips. WHATEVER, lots of women do. :howdy: And, lest I seem like I'm stereotyping, it's really not an uncommon physical attribute of a lot of African American woman. (just sayin', I am not trying to be insulting)

Many things are viewed from the perspective of the individual doing the viewing.If every attempt at humor were viewed under the microscope of being stupid and assinine ,therefore not funny ,Comedians would go out of business.

Your perspective is in your case is because of an emotional response due to the fact that you are personally involved with your son, and that is perfectly understandable.

I thought it humorous. Still do. Sorry if it offended you, but everyone is offended by something.

I have no problem with Michelle trying to take on the job of stopping Obese kids, but when a magazine names her a friggin Physically fit Role Model. "Give me a Break". That is just plain stupid. It is a joke in itself. That magazine should be laughed at.

By the way I do have a few Trophy's and Plaques hanging around, that might be considered Special to some.

Last edited:

Bann

PREMO Member
Many things are viewed from the perspective of the individual doing the viewing.If every attempt at humor were viewed under the microscope of being stupid and assinine ,therefore not funny ,Comedians would go out of business.

Your perspective is in your case is because of an emotional response due to the fact that you are personally involved with your son, and that is perfectly understandable.

I thought it humorous. Still do. Sorry if it offended you, but everyone is offended by something.

Well of course you think it's humorous. :coffee:

And you, sorry for offending me? :lol: I doubt very seriously. BTW, I'm not "emotionally involved" because of my son. I'd have been of the same opinion even if I didn't have my son, because that's just how I am.

I have no problem with Michelle trying to take on the job of stopping Obese kids, but when a magazine names her a friggin Physically fit Role Model. "Give me a Break". That is just plain stupid. It is a joke in itself. That magazine should be laughed at.

Apparently, you haven't read the article, or you're having cognitive functioning problems. :huggy:

FTA:
Fitness magazine named Michelle Obama one of 10 role models committed to bringing healthy living, exercise and better nutrition to U.S. communities.

The magazine's The magazine's first annual Champions of Health and Fitness Awards [were nominated by health experts for their contributions over the past year.]

I don't think the article ever refers to the First Lady as a physically fit role model. They gave her the award for being
#1) committed to bringing healthy living, exercise and better nutrition to US communities AND
#2) being a champion of health and fitness - both of which SHE IS. :shrug:

That you don't think she is physically fit - or that anyone can get an award - "just like Special Olympians" is really of no consequence anyway. You're letting your biases, small mindedness & dislike of MO twist this into something it's not.

Lan

I don't get why the media were oogling over her "guns" back during the beginning of her first ladyship... her "guns" are just droopy fat and skin around her triceps. It's not like she's ripped or anything.

But I do welcome the focus on obesity by the first lady. And while she may not be the most fit woman in America, she is certainly one of the best in the position to promote the cause, unlike Oprah who may have just as much influence but less credibility since she can't seem to be consistent :p.

When you see how obesity plagues the youth AND adults in this nation, especially the black community where black women have the highest rate of obesity, I wish that this issue had more spotlight in the Obama administration's agenda. All it is currently, is a pet project of a first lady.

Hypothetically speaking, even if Obama and the Pelosi like-minded got their single-payer healthcare system, one would most likely still see that healthcare costs skyrocket and become another government program projected to be bankrupt and insolvent. Adding more unhealthy people to an already overburdened healthcare system will only cause more harm until we reduce obesity in our youth and communities. Until the real underlying causes of our broken healthcare system are addressed, then even a conservative solution to fixing our healthcare system will ultimately fail.

Last edited:

ImnoMensa

Well of course you think it's humorous. :coffee:

And you, sorry for offending me? :lol: I doubt very seriously. BTW, I'm not "emotionally involved" because of my son. I'd have been of the same opinion even if I didn't have my son, because that's just how I am.

Apparently, you haven't read the article, or you're having cognitive functioning problems. :huggy:

FTA:

I don't think the article ever refers to the First Lady as a physically fit role model. They gave her the award for being
#1) committed to bringing healthy living, exercise and better nutrition to US communities AND
#2) being a champion of health and fitness - both of which SHE IS. :shrug:

That you don't think she is physically fit - or that anyone can get an award - "just like Special Olympians" is really of no consequence anyway. You're letting your biases, small mindedness & dislike of MO twist this into something it's not.

Ya know I really was sorry you were offended. You not being gracious enough to accept that is fine. Sorry I bothered to answer.

All I did was put a smiley on someone else's post and you jump dead on my butt. The hell with it.

Last edited:

bcp

In My Opinion
Shouldnt a role model be chosen by those that are looking at the person as a role model instead of being appointed a role model?

looking at her arms and butt, maybe they really meant "roll" model?

DocHudson

Seat Belts Save Boobs
CHEERS
Shouldnt a role model be chosen by those that are looking at the person as a role model instead of being appointed a role model?

looking at her arms and butt, maybe they really meant "roll" model?

Bann

PREMO Member
Ya know I really was sorry you were offended. You not being gracious enough to accept that is fine. Sorry I bothered to answer.

All I did was put a smiley on someone else's post and you jump dead on my butt. The hell with it.

:doh: Wherever are my manners? A lady should always graciously accept an apology from a gentleman. :flowers: