Michigan Prof Randomly Assigns Grades

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Mehler Video

Mehler intermittently ranted about his fears of COVID-19, the rules of his classroom and his disdain for capitalism, while allegedly spoofing a scene from the Hulu series “Deadwood.” The professor cursed at his students and vowed to wear a HEPA filtered space helmet in the classroom to protect himself from students he dubbed “vectors of disease.”

“I may have fuc ked up my life flatter than hammered crap, but I stand before you today beholden to no human **** sucker,” Mehler said. “I’m working a paying, ****ing union job and no limber dick **** sucker of an administrator is going to tell me how to teach my classes because I’m a ****ing tenured professor.”

“So, if you want to go complain to your dean, fu ck you. Go ahead. I’m retiring at the end of this year and I couldn’t give a flying **** any longer,” Mehler continued. “You people are just vectors of disease to me and I don’t want to be anywhere near you.”

[clip]

Mehler went on to claim that students in his class were not “good enough” to earn an “A” in his class. He pledged to randomly assign grades before meeting his students in an apparent attempt to bash Calvinism.

“It doesn’t matter how fu cking hard you work, or how great your grades are, my grading system is based on the Calvinist doctrine of predestination,” Mehler said. “None of you co ck suckers are good enough to earn an A in my class. So, I randomly assign grades before the first day of class. I don’t want to know crap about you. I don’t even want to know your name … And don’t come fu cking complaining to me, take your complaints to God, He ordained this system.”

:twitch:

Covid Panic is a Mental Disease

Hijinx

Isn't it wonderful to see this educated man with such a vile vocabulary.
I mean one could expect that from me , but I just graduated High School, but a person would think a college professor could speak in a more professional manner.

This is what is teaching the youth of America.
Stay there for a certain amount of time ---get tenure--and your feet are in concrete.

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Michigan professor who wore space helmet in profanity-laced video assigned Osama bin Laden Nobel Prize paper

Ferris State University History Professor Barry Mehler has assigned the 2,000 word term paper to students multiple times since 2014 in a class titled "The Middle East in the Modern Era," according to a public records request obtained by Fox News Digital.

"Term Paper: Why Osama bin Laden should be considered for a Nobel Peace," a copy of the spring 2014 semester syllabus states. "This is a 300 level history term paper which must conform to certain standards. The paper must have a clear argument and use both primary and secondary sources, Chicago Style footnotes and a bibliography with primary sources listed separately from secondary sources. Further instructions and sample student papers from past years will be available on our class page."

Mehler assigned the term paper asking students to explain Why Osama bin Laden should be considered for a Nobel Peace" multiple times since 2014, the documents show.

Hijinx

I am no college student , Only passed through the campus a few time. but I could write a term paper on why the status of tenure is not working out for a free America that has people like this teaching college grade courses. It appears to me that the majority of college professors represented by this person who claims tenure should be released from their cushy and protected positions and be allowed to go into the real world.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

"Term Paper: Why Osama bin Laden should be considered for a Nobel Peace,"

See I always like brain exercises like this, not to excuse the horrific but to teach students to think and consider, not just knee-jerk react.

Unfortunately, combined with this guy's other behavior it comes across as bullshit propaganda, not a legitimate examination.

BOP

Isn't it wonderful to see this educated man with such a vile vocabulary.
I mean one could expect that from me , but I just graduated High School, but a person would think a college professor could speak in a more professional manner.

This is what is teaching the youth of America.
Stay there for a certain amount of time ---get tenure--and your feet are in concrete.
You, sir, have a "PhD - a Plain Highschool Diploma," as a retired Master Sergeant of Marines I worked with used to say.

BOP

Michigan professor who wore space helmet in profanity-laced video assigned Osama bin Laden Nobel Prize paper

Ferris State University History Professor Barry Mehler has assigned the 2,000 word term paper to students multiple times since 2014 in a class titled "The Middle East in the Modern Era," according to a public records request obtained by Fox News Digital.

"Term Paper: Why Osama bin Laden should be considered for a Nobel Peace," a copy of the spring 2014 semester syllabus states. "This is a 300 level history term paper which must conform to certain standards. The paper must have a clear argument and use both primary and secondary sources, Chicago Style footnotes and a bibliography with primary sources listed separately from secondary sources. Further instructions and sample student papers from past years will be available on our class page."

Mehler assigned the term paper asking students to explain Why Osama bin Laden should be considered for a Nobel Peace" multiple times since 2014, the documents show.
My term paper on that:

Bitter Old Prick
Ferris State University History
Professor Barry Mehler
Today's Date

Why Osama bin Laden Should be Considered for a Nobel Peace Prize

They gave one to his brother Barry Obama before he even became President. One might argue that bin Laden's contributions to the instability in the world were even more significant, sustained, and took place over a longer period of time than his brother's setting American on the path to destruction.

The best course of action is for Congress to call for a resolution to petition the Committee to seriously consider bin Laden's addition to the elite group of members who have contributed to world peace.

BOP

Okay, a little rough, but it's been decades since I had to write a term or a research paper.

Pretend it's been formatted correctly.

I was always taught to write my conclusion first, then see if the data would allow me to get there. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

UglyBear

See I always like brain exercises like this, not to excuse the horrific but to teach students to think and consider, not just knee-jerk react.

Unfortunately, combined with this guy's other behavior it comes across as bullshit propaganda, not a legitimate examination.
Yep, that kind of “tune your brain to argue for the other side” exercises is what brought about Enlightenment— from the Divinity studies and “Devils advocates”.
That is severely missing from modern colleges.
Now I’m wondering if the space helmet is a subtle poking at the mask craziness.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now I’m wondering if the space helmet is a subtle poking at the mask craziness.

Who knows. Many, if not most, people are uncomfortable with outside the box thinking; satire and parody really send them over the edge. So it's possible this guy was trying to make a social commentary and couldn't pull it off.