Might Lose Two More Teeth

DEEKAYPEE8569

Why? Been on Phenytek for 18 years; because I can't afford to "experiment," even with the Dr.'s supervision.
As a result, my "uppers" have all but broken or fallen out.

As I am now, I have 11 upper teeth left. Two of the five molars I have left are both broken; one on the front; and the other; front AND back. Now, I feel like I've been hit in the mouth with a treeful of baseball bats.

I have made the tentative decision to go to SOMD Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons to get these two teeth pulled; having already bee to them to get two other molars pulled that were in pretty much the same shape.

I guess my question is; should I go to my Dentist to get his opinion before talking to the surgeons?

I ask because after getting a root canal on a different molar; then having it filled; that tooth broke. So it was basically, spent money for nothing. Should I just avoid all that and get the current two problem teeth extracted, and be done with it?

SoMDGirl42

Why? Been on Phenytek for 18 years; because I can't afford to "experiment," even with the Dr.'s supervision.
As a result, my "uppers" have all but broken or fallen out.

As I am now, I have 11 upper teeth left. Two of the five molars I have left are both broken; one on the front; and the other; front AND back. Now, I feel like I've been hit in the mouth with a treeful of baseball bats.

I have made the tentative decision to go to SOMD Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons to get these two teeth pulled; having already bee to them to get two other molars pulled that were in pretty much the same shape.

I guess my question is; should I go to my Dentist to get his opinion before talking to the surgeons?

I ask because after getting a root canal on a different molar; then having it filled; that tooth broke. So it was basically, spent money for nothing. Should I just avoid all that and get the current two problem teeth extracted, and be done with it?

will crowns help, or are the teeth just too brittle for anything but extraction? Personnally, I would consult with my dentist. I'd rather not lose teeth if there was another solution.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As I am now, I have 11 upper teeth left. Two of the five molars I have left are both broken; one on the front; and the other; front AND back.

Heck, you'll fit right in around here. :yay:

And the answer is yes, you should go see your dentist. They do wonderful things with prosthetics these days and can make you choppers better than the ones God gave you.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Heck, you'll fit right in around here. :yay:

And the answer is yes, you should go see your dentist. They do wonderful things with prosthetics these days and can make you choppers better than the ones God gave you.

Yeah, yeah....born-N-rayzed BY GAWD.
But, again, MY problems stem from meds I have to take.

Dentists, drill, fill and clean.
For what I need, I'm looking at a dental surgeon to remove the offending teeth; and then; an Orthodontist, to make new one's.
BIG $$$!

Roman

Yeah, yeah....born-N-rayzed BY GAWD.
But, again, MY problems stem from meds I have to take.

Dentists, drill, fill and clean.
For what I need, I'm looking at a dental surgeon to remove the offending teeth; and then; an Orthodontist, to make new one's.
BIG $$$!
I might be wrong, but I thnk an Orthodontist only works with Braces, or other oral fixtures. Your Dentist would be the one to talk too about Prostodontics. Don't let anybody try to talk you into Implants. If you have problems with your real teeth, the chances are high that your body would reject the Implants too.

DEEKAYPEE8569

will crowns help, or are the teeth just too brittle for anything but extraction? Personnally, I would consult with my dentist. I'd rather not lose teeth if there was another solution.

I have three upper right molars left. The two in the back; just forward of where my wisdom tooth was, are the one's that are going away now. The tooth that is just forward of where my upper right wisdom tooth was has no front and no back; just a middle; if THAT makes sense.
THAT is the one that's giving me H*ll right now. So, I don't know it it would be worth it to "rebuild" it, or just have both of them pulled; and be done with it. Then work on getting a partial. I don't know. I guess I should go to the Dentist first.
I DO know that that part about feeling like I've been hit with a treeful of baseball bats is true though.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I might be wrong, but I thnk an Orthodontist only works with Braces, or other oral fixtures. Your Dentist would be the one to talk too about Prostodontics. Don't let anybody try to talk you into Implants. If you have problems with your real teeth, the chances are high that your body would reject the Implants too.

No.....you're right.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have three upper right molars left. The two in the back; just forward of where my wisdom tooth was, are the one's that are going away now. The tooth that is just forward of where my upper right wisdom tooth was has no front and no back; just a middle; if THAT makes sense.
THAT is the one that's giving me H*ll right now. So, I don't know it it would be worth it to "rebuild" it, or just have both of them pulled; and be done with it. Then work on getting a partial. I don't know. I guess I should go to the Dentist first.
I DO know that that part about feeling like I've been hit with a treeful of baseball bats is true though.

Hot liquids hurt; but I like my fresh cup of coffee in the morning.
COLD liquids KILL me; and I like ice-tea. So, I'm calling the Dentist A.S.A.F.P..

Roman

Hot liquids hurt; but I like my fresh cup of coffee in the morning.
COLD liquids KILL me; and I like ice-tea. So, I'm calling the Dentist A.S.A.F.P..
I was told as a Teenager, that I would have a full set of Dentures by the time I was 35. My teeth are sensitive also, which makes it no FUN to eat a lot of things. I still have all my teeth, other than the Wisdom Teeth. It's cost us quite a bit of Money to keep them, but I'm getting close to the end of having anything much to work with tooth-wise. Good luck with the Dentist, and if you choose to get Dentures, talk to him/her about having an Immediate Denture placed, so that when you get the teeth pulled, you can put the appliance right in. :flowers:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I was told as a Teenager, that I would have a full set of Dentures by the time I was 35. My teeth are sensitive also, which makes it no FUN to eat a lot of things. I still have all my teeth, other than the Wisdom Teeth. It's cost us quite a bit of Money to keep them, but I'm getting close to the end of having anything much to work with tooth-wise. Good luck with the Dentist, and if you choose to get Dentures, talk to him/her about having an Immediate Denture placed, so that when you get the teeth pulled, you can put the appliance right in. :flowers:

My Dentist told me a while back, that my teeth were falling apart faster than he could keep up with them; and that I should seriously consider getting dentures. Just get ALL my uppers pulled and get a plate.

As I sit here in excruciating (sp?) pain right now, I am seriously considering it.....beginning with the two that are throbbing today.

Just "borrowed" two Alleve. So, I'll see if they help.

Last edited:

Roman

My Dentist told me a while back, that my teeth were falling apart faster than he could keep up with them; and that I should seriously consider getting dentures. Just get ALL my uppers pulled and get a plate.

As I sit here in excruciating (sp?) pain right now, I am seriously considering it.....beginning with the two that are throbbing today.

Just "borrowed" two Alleve. So, I'll see if they help.
Does Aleive have Motrin in it? I'm not familiar with that. IMO..Motrin (Ibuprophen) is the best to take for Oral Pain. Make sure you aren't allergic to it, or that you don't have asthma. The best dosing for oral pain is 600mg every 6 hours.. See if you can call the Dentist before they close today, to get an Antibiotic as well. There is a possibility that you might have infection coming on. If that's the case...Lidocaine won't work to numb the tooth up for extraction. You can also take Tylenol (Acetominophen) in between doses of Motrin. Have something on your stomach before taking any of it. My fingers are crossed for you. Again..good luck.!!

DEEKAYPEE8569

Does Aleive have Motrin in it? I'm not familiar with that. IMO..Motrin (Ibuprophen) is the best to take for Oral Pain. Make sure you aren't allergic to it, or that you don't have asthma. The best dosing for oral pain is 600mg every 6 hours.. See if you can call the Dentist before they close today, to get an Antibiotic as well. There is a possibility that you might have infection coming on. If that's the case...Lidocaine won't work to numb the tooth up for extraction. You can also take Tylenol (Acetominophen) in between doses of Motrin. Have something on your stomach before taking any of it. My fingers are crossed for you. Again..good luck.!!

Last night I went to "Wally*Mart" and got some Orajel, a bottle of multi-vitamins, and a big bottle-O-Alleve.
The two Alleve that I "borrowed" yesterday woked GREAT.
Not allergic to any pain meds. Don't have athsma; not since I was an infant.....a LLOOOONNNG time ago.....
I'll keep trying to get hold of the Dentist. I just wish I could just go to the oral surgeon and not have to go to TWO Dr.'s for ONE problem. Starting after dinner tonight, I'll take Alleve every 4-6 hours til I can get in to see somebody. Thanks Roman.....Alleve is Naproxen Sodium BTW.....

Last edited:

Roman

Last night I went to "Wally*Mart" and got some Orajel, a bottle of multi-vitamins, and a big bottle-O-Alleve.
The two Alleve that I "borrowed" yesterday woked GREAT.
Not allergic to any pain meds. Don't have athsma; not since I was an infant.....a LLOOOONNNG time ago.....
I'll keep trying to get hold of the Dentist. I just wish I could just go to the oral surgeon and not have to go to TWO Dr.'s for ONE problem. Starting after dinner tonight, I'll take Alleve every 4-6 hours til I can get in to see somebody. Thanks Roman.....Alleve is Naproxen Sodium BTW.....
If the Aleve is working..go with it! I really feel your pain, and wish you well.