Might Lose Two More Teeth

checkingthenews

C'mon...Smile!
Why? Been on Phenytek for 18 years; because I can't afford to "experiment," even with the Dr.'s supervision.
As a result, my "uppers" have all but broken or fallen out.

As I am now, I have 11 upper teeth left. Two of the five molars I have left are both broken; one on the front; and the other; front AND back. Now, I feel like I've been hit in the mouth with a treeful of baseball bats.

I have made the tentative decision to go to SOMD Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons to get these two teeth pulled; having already bee to them to get two other molars pulled that were in pretty much the same shape.

I guess my question is; should I go to my Dentist to get his opinion before talking to the surgeons?

I ask because after getting a root canal on a different molar; then having it filled; that tooth broke. So it was basically, spent money for nothing. Should I just avoid all that and get the current two problem teeth extracted, and be done with it?

I have an upcoming appt. at SOMD Oral and Maxillofacial to have 2 teeth extracted....thankfully under IV sedation (yes, I'm a dental wimp). Did you like that place, were you happy with them?

oldman

Lobster Land
Almost a month ago I had my regular dentist pull all my teeth and immediately give me dentures. I remember laying on the table but nothing afterward for hours. My gums haven't as yet totally healed so it's soft food only. Things will get better given time. I am glad I had it done and really enjoy having a nice set of teeth that require very little maintenance. It ain't cheap but over time it will pay for itself.

Roman

I have an upcoming appt. at SOMD Oral and Maxillofacial to have 2 teeth extracted....thankfully under IV sedation (yes, I'm a dental wimp). Did you like that place, were you happy with them?
They are a top notch group. You made a good choice.

Roman

Almost a month ago I had my regular dentist pull all my teeth and immediately give me dentures. I remember laying on the table but nothing afterward for hours. My gums haven't as yet totally healed so it's soft food only. Things will get better given time. I am glad I had it done and really enjoy having a nice set of teeth that require very little maintenance. It ain't cheap but over time it will pay for itself.

Happy to hear that you are doing so well.!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Yeah, yeah....born-N-rayzed BY GAWD.
But, again, MY problems stem from meds I have to take.

Dentists, drill, fill and clean.
For what I need, I'm looking at a dental surgeon to remove the offending teeth; and then; an Orthodontist, to make new one's.
BIG $$$!

I've spent a small fortune on dental work. When you consider how much can be done in dental work prior to the eventual extraction of said tooth, sometimes it would be cheaper to get an implant at the 1st sign of a problem with a tooth <g>.

I ended up with several implants (after filling, then root canal/crown, then extraction) and have been thrilled with them. I got them when dental insurance paid nothing toward them (maybe they do now?), so I took a beating paying about $4k for each implant start to finish.

I agree with whoever said the dental folks can do wonders for you these days.

TGB

Why? Been on Phenytek for 18 years; because I can't afford to "experiment," even with the Dr.'s supervision.
As a result, my "uppers" have all but broken or fallen out.

As I am now, I have 11 upper teeth left. Two of the five molars I have left are both broken; one on the front; and the other; front AND back. Now, I feel like I've been hit in the mouth with a treeful of baseball bats.

I have made the tentative decision to go to SOMD Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons to get these two teeth pulled; having already bee to them to get two other molars pulled that were in pretty much the same shape.

I guess my question is; should I go to my Dentist to get his opinion before talking to the surgeons?

I ask because after getting a root canal on a different molar; then having it filled; that tooth broke. So it was basically, spent money for nothing. Should I just avoid all that and get the current two problem teeth extracted, and be done with it?

Dental implants might be an option.

DEEKAYPEE8569

The experience I mentioned before happened a few years ago.
I had to have a couple molars pulled.
The Dr. asked me, "Do you want to be awake for this?"
I said, "Uuummm.....NO thank you." They took good care of me while I was there.

TGB

actually a short process can be done in a day from what I heard from people who had them. No harm in checking.

Roman

actually a short process can be done in a day from what I heard from people who had them. No harm in checking.

If you are talking about Implants, no...it takes quite a while. If the tooth is pulled, there is a hole where the tooth was. You either have to wait for the bone to fill in naturally, which depending upon the age of the person, it could be weeks, or even months. Or, you can have a Bone-Fill at the time of the extraction, but even then, before an Implant Post can be added to that spot, the bone has to harden up for about 10, to 12 weeks, again..all depends upon the age, and general health of the Patient. Then, the post is placed, and there is a certain amount of time that the Doctor waits, to see if the body rejects the post. If all is well in that time-frame, the cap is taken off the post, and the crown is put on. I know there are many people that believe that this is a good option, verses having Dentures placed. Personally, I would rather have the Dentures. IMO, the only good reason to have a Dental Implant is if you are using them to anchor a plate that otherwise wouldn't fit unless you had one. FYI...some Dentist's don't mention, that an implant can become abscessed, just like a tooth, and may need to be pulled. There are threads on the actual Implant, in which bone grows around, and when pulled, a LOT of surrounding bone goes with it. It is best to do your home work before getting anything like this done. Implants are a big Money Maker, so there are some Doctor's that might not tell you the good, the bad, or the ugly. :biggrin:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If you are talking about Implants, no...it takes quite a while. If the tooth is pulled, there is a hole where the tooth was. You either have to wait for the bone to fill in naturally, which depending upon the age of the person, it could be weeks, or even months. Or, you can have a Bone-Fill at the time of the extraction, but even then, before an Implant Post can be added to that spot, the bone has to harden up for about 10, to 12 weeks, again..all depends upon the age, and general health of the Patient. Then, the post is placed, and there is a certain amount of time that the Doctor waits, to see if the body rejects the post. If all is well in that time-frame, the cap is taken off the post, and the crown is put on. I know there are many people that believe that this is a good option, verses having Dentures placed. Personally, I would rather have the Dentures. IMO, the only good reason to have a Dental Implant is if you are using them to anchor a plate that otherwise wouldn't fit unless you had one. FYI...some Dentist's don't mention, that an implant can become abscessed, just like a tooth, and may need to be pulled. There are threads on the actual Implant, in which bone grows around, and when pulled, a LOT of surrounding bone goes with it. It is best to do your home work before getting anything like this done. Implants are a big Money Maker, so there are some Doctor's that might not tell you the good, the bad, or the ugly. :biggrin:

WOW I had mine done many years ago - like 8 years? So I had NO idea about adverse affects at all. So far so good for the 2 implants I had done, but they were molars, so I felt I needed those to chew well after spending several years with nothing there. I finally felt I had to do something you know? I never had an abscess thankfully.

They wanted to do an implant for a back upper tooth I had to get extracted (next forward of Wisdom, whichever number that is), but it wasn't in an important-enough place to me to pay thousands to get an implant there.

I had good bone, but I know people who didn't and had to get a bridge. Thanks for the additional info. on this.

Roman

WOW I had mine done many years ago - like 8 years? So I had NO idea about adverse affects at all. So far so good for the 2 implants I had done, but they were molars, so I felt I needed those to chew well after spending several years with nothing there. I finally felt I had to do something you know? I never had an abscess thankfully.

They wanted to do an implant for a back upper tooth I had to get extracted (next forward of Wisdom, whichever number that is), but it wasn't in an important-enough place to me to pay thousands to get an implant there.

I had good bone, but I know people who didn't and had to get a bridge. Thanks for the additional info. on this.
You are one of the lucky one's Ark. I'm sure that there are millions of people that have had a success with implants. There is no way that I would replace more than 2 uppers, and two lowers with Implants, and the reason for my implants would be for anchors for a plate if my bone density in the area wasn't good for a proper fit. As I said before, an implant can go bad, just like a tooth, and when it gets pulled, it can be gruesome. For a simple extraction with an Implant, I'd have to be sedated, because it takes a long time to get the implant out. Not to mention, the bone that comes with it can be phenominal to say the least.