Millennial And Gen Z Issues

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

The Disturbing Trend: Younger Generations Open to In-Home Government Surveillance

This is an indicator of how important it is to educate the public on the dangers of giving the state the power to monitor everyday Americans with no valid reason.

The Cato Institute recently released the findings of a study that analyzed, in part, attitudes toward the extent to which the government should be empowered to spy on American citizens:

In a newly released Cato Institute 2023 Central Bank Digital Currency National Survey of 2,000 Americans, we asked respondents whether they “favor or oppose the government installing surveillance cameras in every household to reduce domestic violence, abuse, and other illegal activity.” Not surprisingly, few Americans—only 14 percent—support this idea. Three‐fourths (75 percent) would oppose government surveillance cameras in homes, including 68 percent who “strongly oppose,” while 10% don’t have an opinion either way.

These particular results don’t seem too troubling given that only a small percentage would be just fine with Big Brother spying on them in their homes. Still, when looking at attitudes among younger Americans, it is clear that this could be an issue in the future:

However, Americans under the age of 30 stand out when it comes to 1984‐style in‐home government surveillance cameras. 3 in 10 (29 percent) Americans under 30 favor “the government installing surveillance cameras in every household” in order to “reduce domestic violence, abuse, and other illegal activity.” Support declines with age, dropping to 20 percent among 30–44 year olds and dropping considerably to 6 percent among those over the age of 45.

The results of the Cato Institute’s 2023 Central Bank Digital Currency National Survey should serve as an alarm regarding Americans’ perceptions of government surveillance. The study, which focused on opinions about installing surveillance cameras in every household, highlights a disturbing trend, particularly among younger individuals.

Privacy is a fundamental pillar of a free society. It provides individuals with autonomy, fosters creativity, and allows for the free exchange of ideas. Moreover, it prevents the state from abusing civilians. The acceptance of government surveillance cameras in every household represents a dangerous erosion of this fundamental right. It reveals that younger generations do not have an adequate understanding of America’s founding principles.

Even more frightening is that it shows a chilling trust in the state and belies a serious lack of understanding of the dangers of an ever-intrusive government. This could easily open the door to a society where every action and conversation is subject to scrutiny, undermining personal freedom and inhibiting individual expression.

The consequences of embracing such an intrusive level of surveillance are far-reaching and extend beyond the issue at hand. History has shown repeatedly that once governments gain access to tools of surveillance and control, they become emboldened to expand their reach. What starts as a seemingly well-intentioned measure to combat crime can quickly morph into a pervasive system of control and oppression.

Moreover, such intrusive surveillance systems will inevitably be abused or manipulated, leading to violations of civil liberties and personal freedoms. The mere presence of constant surveillance can stifle dissent and curtail individuals’ willingness to exercise their rights, fostering an environment of self-censorship and fear.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Gen Zers make ‘difficult’ employees, managers say

A poll of 1,344 managers and business leaders by ResumeBuilder.com found that 74 percent consider Gen Z employees more challenging than older staffers.

Pressed for specifics, employers did not mince words.

“They think they’re better than you, smarter than you, more capable than you, and they will tell you to your face,” said Akpan Ukeme, head of human resources at SGK Global Shipping Services.

Generation Z is the youngest cohort in the American workforce, with birth years starting around 1997. Many surveys and studies have labored to define them. The findings suggest they have not gone quietly into their cubicles.

A Gallup report termed them “Generation Disconnected,” noting that Gen Z is less likely than older generations to be actively engaged in work and more likely to suffer stress and burnout.

A study by McKinsey & Company, the management consultancy, found Gen Zers restless in their jobs, more likely to report hostile work environments and health problems both physical and mental. Three-quarters of Gen Z employees said they were actively seeking other jobs.

In the new survey, taken in April by the survey platform Pollfish, half of employers said they find it difficult to work with Generation Z most or all of the time. Two-thirds said they are more likely to fire Gen Z workers than older staffers, sometimes in the first week of employment.

The top reason for the firings? Generation Z is “too easily offended.”

Managers said they struggle with Generation Z workers for other reasons: Lack of motivation. Lack of productivity. Poor communication skills. Short attention span. An excessive sense of entitlement. Occasional dishonesty. Too few technological skills, or too many.

Reactions: BOP

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

"Have ya MET any of us??"

Spot on. :lol:

20-somethings think all people over the age of 40 went to sock hops with Richie and the Fonz. They are completely unaware that GenX nursing homes will be blasting out Nirvana and Van Halen and Metallica and RHCP, and we'll all sit around talking about getting wasted at a kegger back in the day and all the dope we smoked.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
"Have ya MET any of us??"

Spot on. :lol:

20-somethings think all people over the age of 40 went to sock hops with Richie and the Fonz. They are completely unaware that GenX nursing homes will be blasting out Nirvana and Van Halen and Metallica and RHCP, and we'll all sit around talking about getting wasted at a kegger back in the day and all the dope we smoked.
You know my niece, she loves 80's and 90's music and clothes. She raided my closet last week and then we went to dinner. Restaurant was playing all 80's music that matched a bunch of my concert jerseys that I wouldn't let her have, yet. She got schooled well that night on music and complimented me on my music knowledge!

A while back at sisters house, she pulled up a verbal music game on Alexa and I crushed it!

BOP

The Disturbing Trend: Younger Generations Open to In-Home Government Surveillance

This is an indicator of how important it is to educate the public on the dangers of giving the state the power to monitor everyday Americans with no valid reason.

The Cato Institute recently released the findings of a study that analyzed, in part, attitudes toward the extent to which the government should be empowered to spy on American citizens:

These particular results don’t seem too troubling given that only a small percentage would be just fine with Big Brother spying on them in their homes. Still, when looking at attitudes among younger Americans, it is clear that this could be an issue in the future:

The results of the Cato Institute’s 2023 Central Bank Digital Currency National Survey should serve as an alarm regarding Americans’ perceptions of government surveillance. The study, which focused on opinions about installing surveillance cameras in every household, highlights a disturbing trend, particularly among younger individuals.

Privacy is a fundamental pillar of a free society. It provides individuals with autonomy, fosters creativity, and allows for the free exchange of ideas. Moreover, it prevents the state from abusing civilians. The acceptance of government surveillance cameras in every household represents a dangerous erosion of this fundamental right. It reveals that younger generations do not have an adequate understanding of America’s founding principles.

Even more frightening is that it shows a chilling trust in the state and belies a serious lack of understanding of the dangers of an ever-intrusive government. This could easily open the door to a society where every action and conversation is subject to scrutiny, undermining personal freedom and inhibiting individual expression.

The consequences of embracing such an intrusive level of surveillance are far-reaching and extend beyond the issue at hand. History has shown repeatedly that once governments gain access to tools of surveillance and control, they become emboldened to expand their reach. What starts as a seemingly well-intentioned measure to combat crime can quickly morph into a pervasive system of control and oppression.

Moreover, such intrusive surveillance systems will inevitably be abused or manipulated, leading to violations of civil liberties and personal freedoms. The mere presence of constant surveillance can stifle dissent and curtail individuals’ willingness to exercise their rights, fostering an environment of self-censorship and fear.
Wait until they find out that women instigate the vast majority of violence within the household. They'll have those cameras out of households so fast it'll give them whiplash.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Wait until they find out that women instigate the vast majority of violence within the household. They'll have those cameras out of households so fast it'll give them whiplash.

yeah that crap will NEVER be admitted to

Reactions: BOP

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know my niece, she loves 80's and 90's music and clothes. She raided my closet last week and then we went to dinner. Restaurant was playing all 80's music that matched a bunch of my concert jerseys that I wouldn't let her have, yet. She got schooled well that night on music and complimented me on my music knowledge!

A while back at sisters house, she pulled up a verbal music game on Alexa and I crushed it!

You used to whip up on me when we'd play name that song :lol: