Mirena

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Has anyone used Mirena or know someone that has? I am looking into it and all over the internet I see horrid reviews but most are older.

TIA

lovinmaryland

My sister just had it put in 6 weeks ago. Has had constant painful cramping since. It does say it can happen for first 2 months or so.

I work with a lady who conceived while on Mirena, that was almost 30 years ago now though. I assume things have changed since then :yay:

mommy1

I have had it since 2009 and like it. I had a very heavy and crampy period for about 2 weeks after I got it but haven't had a period or anything since.

MSLucente

Yes my aunt used it she is in her 40's and just delivered her third child while using mirena. I would steer clear honestly.

I work in reproductive health and this is very common as well as it traveling into the uterine wall.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I'm seeing about half good and half bad responses from all sorts of people. I guess it depends on your body. What about one the rods that is inserting in your arm?

Island_Chick

Mommy of 2
TMI .. but here's my story ..

I've had 2 for them since 2007 When I got the 1st one( had a baby in nov 06 got the IUD in Feb 07 ) the 1st 3 months were bad I had my :whistle: for 3 whole months & a trip to the hospital for fluids, after that it was ok . I got my 2nd one last year & I havent had my :whistle: in 5 yrs .

NextJen

Raisin cane
Had one put in back in 2009. No real issues. Haven't had a monthly for I don't know how long.

I read some time back about younger women getting the Mirena IUD, and the Mirena sent them into the change early, and they were no longer able to have children. I'm not concerned about that at my age....that would be a good thing!

Good luck!

Roman

Every contraceptive device has it's horror stories. It's best you discuss with your OB/GYN. Mirena is also used for people that have heavy periods.

sm8

If you have a tilted or bicornuate uterus it is not a good idea but your DR should tell you that. I have had 1 Dr in my practice tell me I was not a good candidate for it because my uterus is tilted so far backwards it is almost a u shape. I had another DR in the same practice suggest it and I told her what the other DR said and she told me it should be ok. I decided to go with the first DR because I know one lady that it went thru her uterus, one lady that got pregnant while using it on two seperate occasions, and one lady just recently that they can not find hers. They are sending her for imaging to see if they can find it, I believe they are doing a CT.

sockgirl77

I work with a lady who conceived while on Mirena, that was almost 30 years ago now though. I assume things have changed since then :yay:

The Mirena was not made 30 years ago. The IUD, yes. But, not the Mirena. :lol:

Oh and I conceived while using Mirena (6 years ago). So no, it's not 100%.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Mirena will not put you in menapause, will not harm your fertility, and is just fine for women who have never had a child. those are rumors and not based in any facts.

A lot of horror stories are probably from the copper iud which has no hormones, is slightly lesseffective and has been linked with heavy periods. People may mistakenly refer to it as the mirena without realizing they are quite different.

It going throught the uterine wall is a quite uncommon complication, though it does seem to commonly get "lost" in that the string cannot be seen nor felt during an exam. This has happened to me, but a quick sono showed it was in place and working just fine.

I have had it for over a year and a half and love it. As do all of my friends with it as well, and they are a good mix of those who have had children, and those who have not.

I choose mirena because BCP gave me migraines from hell, and since mirena is a very low, constant dose of hormones those have completely resolved. the only real "side effect" I have had is pretty bad acne. but I will trade that for no period any day.

The Mirena was not made 30 years ago. The IUD, yes. But, not the Mirena. :lol:

Oh and I conceived while using Mirena (6 years ago). So no, it's not 100%.

Oh, well dang. Either way, she had something up in there that was supposed to stop her from getting pregnant and when she went in for her annual pap they told her she was FIVE MONTHS pregnant!!! :faint: and no, she's not overweight, not at all :yay:

pelers

I'm seeing about half good and half bad responses from all sorts of people. I guess it depends on your body. What about one the rods that is inserting in your arm?

Norplant (multiple rods) is off the market. Implanon (single rod) is what is currently available. I had Implanon for the full period (3 years) and had no issues with it. No crazy periods, no crazy hormones, no crazy weight gain (or inability to lose weight).

It does leave a scar. Small, circular one upon insertion, then they cut the same place to take it out leaving a centimeter long scar. You can feel the rod while it's in (it's a weird flexible, bendy material), but it's generally not noticeable unless you are fiddling with it.

For IUDs, I've tried ParaGard (the no hormone, copper IUD) and had it removed after several months because of ridiculously heavy periods.

I'll be trying Mirena this time around. If I have lousy luck with it I'll probably go back to Implanon. Or just tell my husband that he's S.O.L.

sockgirl77

Norplant (multiple rods) is off the market. Implanon (single rod) is what is currently available. I had Implanon for the full period (3 years) and had no issues with it. No crazy periods, no crazy hormones, no crazy weight gain (or inability to lose weight).

It does leave a scar. Small, circular one upon insertion, then they cut the same place to take it out leaving a centimeter long scar. You can feel the rod while it's in (it's a weird flexible, bendy material), but it's generally not noticeable unless you are fiddling with it.

For IUDs, I've tried ParaGard (the no hormone, copper IUD) and had it removed after several months because of ridiculously heavy periods.

I'll be trying Mirena this time around. If I have lousy luck with it I'll probably go back to Implanon. Or just tell my husband that he's S.O.L.

Fact is, only abstinence is 100% and all forms of BC have side effects.