Modesty And Dressing With Good Taste

H

HouseCat

Is modesty dead? Does no one see the value in dressing tastefully (not necessarily in style) for their body weight and/or age any longer? Do we, as a nation simply not care wtf we look like any more? I'm not implying folks should aspire to adorn themselves in expensive, stylish clothes either. Dressing tastefully means your clothes are clean, worn right, *not skin tight to your body (unless you're going clubbing, which falls into dressing right for the occasion concept), and cover everything.

First, what is your definition of modesty?
Secondly, what is your opinion of modesty?
Third, do you see value in it? If not, why? (Humor me... I'm curious.)

No poll, just a survey.

E

EmptyTimCup

No poll, just a survey.

Modesty: not having a plunging neck line, so low your belly button is showing, and skirts so short you cannot bend over with out your :gossip: showing

just look thorough "People of Walmart" there is no modesty

there is a fine line between flaunting it, if you have it and Trashy ........

sure guys like to look at boobs and short skits, but are you really taking that tramp home to meet Mom .........

Last edited by a moderator:

residualvisuals

black widow
Modesty in regards to clothing and/or fashion is hard to define. You might consider a really low cut back a bit showy, but it could be demure if it's on the right floor length formal gown that covers any cleavage, and even moreso if you add long sleeves. I think in general you can stay on the right side of modest while just letting a peek of something out depending on what you're wearing, like maybe a slightly low cut blouse, or a sliver of tummy if you have the body for it (no muffin tops, please). You also mentioned tight clothing, and I think tight jeans are perfectly modest so long as the pants do you justice and you can't see cellulite THROUGH the pants. That's disgusting. I have a pair of fitted khakis that I wear to work with a nice blouse. They even loosen up a bit by the end of the day.

I value modesty. I didn't so much when I was younger, but it helps to earn respect and be seen in a better light than you might otherwise be seen. I think it shows that you value yourself. A miniskirt at the wrong occasion would send a horrible message about yourself.

I also most definitely dress for my shape. I have a large chest, so I have to wear things that define my waist so I don't look just big and round in a loose shirt.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Modesty in regards to clothing and/or fashion is hard to define. You might consider a really low cut back a bit showy, but it could be demure if it's on the right floor length formal gown that covers any cleavage, and even moreso if you add long sleeves. I think in general you can stay on the right side of modest while just letting a peek of something out depending on what you're wearing, like maybe a slightly low cut blouse, or a sliver of tummy if you have the body for it (no muffin tops, please). You also mentioned tight clothing, and I think tight jeans are perfectly modest so long as the pants do you justice and you can't see cellulite THROUGH the pants. That's disgusting. I have a pair of fitted khakis that I wear to work with a nice blouse. They even loosen up a bit by the end of the day.

I value modesty. I didn't so much when I was younger, but it helps to earn respect and be seen in a better light than you might otherwise be seen. I think it shows that you value yourself. A miniskirt at the wrong occasion would send a horrible message about yourself.

I also most definitely dress for my shape. I have a large chest, so I have to wear things that define my waist so I don't look just big and round in a loose shirt.

:shocked:
Oh, c'mon.....I wasn't the only guy thinking that.

Okay, smart-a** comments aside, I too feel that "muffin tops" shouldn't wear belly shirts; and everything else that follows that thought process. There was a time where I could wear muscle shirts. Now that I have a "toolshed" I don't wear them anymore. I have the arms for it; but my "six-pack" has turned into "a case."

There is such a thing as dressing 'age appropriately' and then there is the other side of that; dressing because you THINK it makes you look good or "sexy." If I see someone wearing a midriff bearing shirt/blouse and is one muffin shy of a dozen, I don't look twice.
That's a terrible thing to say, I know, but c'mon.....

One has to really THINK about what might get stares for the wrong reason. Many people do not. CIP: "The People of Wal*Mart picture slideshow.
I'm sure many of us have seen that.

dave1959

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There sould be a permit to wear spandex !!!
And most who do, should'nt. !!!

And along the same thoughts, Why does it seem like half the people that shop at WallyWorld are in their PJ's ???

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There sould be a permit to wear spandex !!!
And most who do, should'nt. !!!

And along the same thoughts, Why does it seem like half the people that shop at WallyWorld are in their PJ's ???

Didn't you get the memo? PJ's are the new jeans.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Is modesty dead? Does no one see the value in dressing tastefully (not necessarily in style) for their body weight and/or age any longer? Do we, as a nation simply not care wtf we look like any more? I'm not implying folks should aspire to adorn themselves in expensive, stylish clothes either. Dressing tastefully means your clothes are clean, worn right, *not skin tight to your body (unless you're going clubbing, which falls into dressing right for the occasion concept), and cover everything.

No poll, just a survey.

1) Modesty = dress appropriately
2) Modesty is a good idea to uphold
3) Yes

....I tell you what bothers me more than women not being modest - is men not being modest. GOOD GAWD....PUT A BELT ON!!!! you dipsh^t slob.

If I saw any of my brothers wearing clothing that was falling down around backside - I'd give him a wedgy. I don't live to see your backside!

Skin tight jeans aren't quite as bad - at least their boxers aren't hangin' out, but those things CAN'T be comfortable; I can't imagine that they would be anyway. I don't know how women do it, but guys actually have 'stuff' down there. EDIT: well, most of us do :whistle:

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Modesty isn't completely dead, but we don't seem to know what tasteful means. Some churches require their women to wear long dresses or long pants all the time (even when not in church). While I wouldn't call that dress code tasteful, it is certainly modest.

Other than showing "ten pounds too much to the naked eye" (thanks Train), there is another school of tastelessness which does saggy pants and untied shoes (usually yellow construction boots or sneakers), and then there's the ever-disgusting baggy sweat pants with slippers and a dirty tee shirt, best worn without showering so one can be smelled as well as seen.

What constitutes tasteful? Most things that middle-aged moms wear. For guys, most things that middle-aged men wear. Sensible shoes if you can find them. Jackets when it's cold. Bras when in public. Translated: stuff your kids would hate to wear.

I remember when I was an adolescent, we kids wore hip-hugger jeans (don't bend over unless you want to show somebody your Plumber's Crack), Hot Pants (double the risk), mini- and micro- skirts, bell-bottom or flared jeans with frayed cuffs and a few tears patched with anything but matching material, clogs (aka ankle-breakers), cowboy boots or engineer's boots, or bare feet, vests, tee shirts or flowery dress shirts, and bandannas and dark sunglasses. Ah, the 1970's. You haven't lived until you've seen the effect of a healthy-slim lady in a microskirt over fishnets and under a tube top. Almost anything in denim, from pants to shirts to jackets and even full-length coats and dresses. We thought we were IT in those outfits. And on occasion we showed and shocked almost as much as today's tramps do.
It used to be "cool" to be dressed in "grubby jeans."

Yes, in the 1970's, the right combination of tight or skimpy was very fetching indeed. But it's quite a different thing when skimpy clothes are stretched over rolls of fat and poorly done tattoos. It's a different thing when the message you're sending is that you really DON'T care how you look - or smell. That's tasteless, and for certain is the same thing as having a big "L" for "Loser" tattooed on your forehead.

Do looks count? Absolutely. We're stuck on this planet with each other. Some of us hire some of us. Some of us are desperately seeking someone worth being with. Dress the part, but dress with good judgment.

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I think part of it is the over-confidence that defines this generation..the every body is a winner, we all get a prize, everyone is perfect, don't judge mentality. SOme of that is good..but its gone so overboard that teasing a fat kid at school will get you in major trouble..when in times past that teasing may have been good motivation to lose weight..

The problem I see is that these girls *think* they look good. They really, truely do. a family member of mine is huge. obese. She thinks it is adorable to wear tube tops with no bra and booty shorts/skirts..it looks soo terrible it is hard to even look. She has way too much confidence in herself. I saw a couple girls at tiki the other night who just looked awful..they weren't unattractive, but were wearing teeny shorts and the cellulite andfloppy skin was kinda hard to ignore. if they had choosen some well cut jeans instead, they would have looked great. I, on the other had, never had particularly inflated self esteem..and agonized over what I was wearing to make sure it covered what I percieved as my "flaws".. looking back if I looked like what I looked like at 17/18 ish..id walk around stark ass naked every moment of my life:killingme

I, personally, notice clothing transgressions most when it is ill fitted, not necessarily the style/clothing itself. at tiki with the really-bad-in-shorts chicks there were also a couple girls who looked damn good in their teeny shorts..I thought very little about whether they were appropriate..maybe I am shallow :shrug:

dave1959

Attachments

• 3085.jpg
    3085.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 126

DEEKAYPEE8569

at tiki with the really-bad-in-shorts chicks there were also a couple girls who looked damn good in their teeny shorts..I thought very little about whether they were appropriate..maybe I am shallow :shrug:

I think the Tiki Bar is an appropriate place to wear "tenny shorts," but just because you THINK you can get away with wearing them, doesn't necessarily mean you can. It's all about perceptions. If you see someone wearing something he/she should not be wearing; just don't look twice. :shrug:

If you are able to get away with wearing shorty shorts, please.....continue to do so.

Last edited: