Mold on hay?

mingiz

Horse Poor
I'm interested in reading that article on supplementing.... I know some people who use "hay stretcher"... large pellets of compacted forage I guess. Not too sure about it. Any extra infor on supplementing would be great. Thanks.

I have used hay stretcher as a regular part of my horses feed. I do it mainly for the extra nutriants that they don't get with the hay I have. I don't have high dollar hay but what I have they clean it up and seem content and fat. I also have used cubes. It makes me feel comfy that my horses are fat and happy. :howdy:

natbugs

you can lay plastic down as long as you sprinkle rock salt first. it will draw out moisture in the hay to prevent mold. you can also sprinkle rock salt between layers of your hay stack to do the same.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Happy can you e-mail it to me it might be a good article for this months news letter thanks TC
pm me your email address, i don't have it on this computer. Once you read it, I can add or remove pages to make it fit in the newsletter. :biggrin:
did you ever post the legal stuff regarding landowners and riding in MD that i sent? I don't think i ever saw it in a newsletter.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I have used hay stretcher as a regular part of my horses feed. I do it mainly for the extra nutriants that they don't get with the hay I have. I don't have high dollar hay but what I have they clean it up and seem content and fat. I also have used cubes. It makes me feel comfy that my horses are fat and happy. :howdy:
:yay: We are using the new hay stretcher from Southern States to suppliment the grazing mares/fillies and LeRoy during the cold months when the grass isn't actively growing, and they all look MAAAVELOUS, shiny, healthy and fat on absolutely no grain at all.

The BlueSeal hay stretcher made them MAD women.....totally aggressive with each other over it. The stuff from SS doesn't do that.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Happy what's the price on the SS hay stretcher? Is it cheaper than the Blue Seal?
A small amount less, so the savings are negligible if at all.
The SS hay stretcher is in very small pellets. The Blue seal are whopping big ole pellets. Mine seemed to choke more on the big ones, but they were also more protective and nasty over it too when another one even walked behind them while they were eating - which set them up for more small choking/coughing episodes maybe? I seem to go through a few bags at about the same rate, but i find myself adding a tad more into the buckets since it's so small.