More food

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
One of my favorite places was Elizabeth's Café & Winery in Duck, NC. I'm sad that it closed after so many years. :sad:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
For fine dining, these are the three that stand out the most:
Tujagues - New Orleans. Old world charm, great food, and amazing food in my favorite city.

The Chart House - Annapolis and Savannah. Amazing views and spectacular menus customized for each location.

Fogo de Chao - Baltimore. Outstanding in all ways.

Locally, these would be my picks:

CD Cafe

The Lighthouse Inn

The Front Porch

Honorable mention: Cafe des Artistes (now closed)

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
For fine dining, these are the three that stand out the most: Tugues - New Orleans. Old world charm, great food, and amazing food in my favorite city. The Chart House - Annapolis and Savannah. Amazing views and spectacular menus customized for each location. Fogo de Chao - Baltimore. Outstanding in all ways. Locally, these would be my picks: CD Cafe The Lighthouse Inn The Front Porch Honorable mention: Cafe des Artistes (now closed)

Cafe des Artistes has reopened as Le Riv Breton and I have read some good reviews but haven't tried it yet. New owners and management.

Clem72

Guess I'm no foodie, but I like what I like.

#1) Las Platas (Barstow-ish, Califoria). Hole in the wall in the middle of the desert, doubles as a piñata and wedding decoration store. There are three total (owned by different members of the same family), but the one outside the city limits in the middle of nowhere is the best.

#2) Chevy's (chain restaurant), because I love their chips and salsa.

#3) Pinnacle Peaks (Tucson, AZ). Also a chain, and all are decent, but I always liked this location. Good steak, good price, fun atmosphere.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Cafe des Artistes has reopened as Le Riv Breton and I have read some good reviews but haven't tried it yet. New owners and management.

I saw that and have been following them on FB. The menu looks great and hope to try them soon.

Guess I'm no foodie, but I like what I like.

#2) Chevy's (chain restaurant), because I love their chips and salsa.

I do like them a lot and have eaten at the one in Annapolis many times.

Prime rib/Steak - Aberdeen Barn in Charlottesville, VA

2nd and 3rd are tied between a dozen different places on Eastern Long Island. The Lobster Roll in Jamesport for a relaxed evening summer and atmosphere, A Touch of Venice in Mattituck for high quality Italian, Lenny's in Aquebouge for real good down-to-earth Italian, Bella Gusto Ristorante in Wading River for unique Italian, ..... so many great places.

Nutz. Road trip....

SamSpade

We love Fogo, although we've only been to the DC one - and The Melting Pot, even more so because my niece and her husband work there.

That said, even though I've traveled a bit, only a few places stick out, and more for the memories than the food.
Been to pizzerias in Chicago, Gino's in Philly, steak houses in Kansas City. Snobby places in Manhattan.
Somehow, they pale next to an old crab shanty in Ipswich.
We've eaten in Paris, Addis, Moscow and Beijing. None of them fine dining mind you (although oddly enough the places we went in Addis WERE probably the best ones in town).
Rarely was it the food.

Durgin Park in Boston. The original one, not the Copley Plaza one (if it still exists). Used to have a half duck plate I liked.
Hawthorne's in Salem. Again, if it still exists, they had the best popovers I've ever had.
And The Old Grog in Newburyport. That was the restaurant my dad and I went to when he was in town.

MR47930

My wife and I ate here in St. Lucia on our honeymoon. The food was excellent and the view was incredible.

gordons-8.jpg

edit: it's the Gordon's restaurant that is part of the Sandals Grand St. Lucian. The best dining experience I've had at an all-inclusive resort, or anywhere else for that matter.

BernieP

Resident PIA
so many of my favorite meals were random places in Europe,...

There is a reason, they take a meal seriously and they cook local and fresh. The menu is really just suggestions because they don't mind customizing your meal.
Being a waiter is an honorable profession, they know the menu, the wines. Dining is supposed to be an enjoyable experience.
In the US, even the better restuarants, it's about turning over tables.
Dinner in Italy starts around 7 and you could be there 3 hours. You eat in courses, with time between to enjoy more wine and most of all conversation with your firends and the wait staff.

MR47930

There is a reason, they take a meal seriously and they cook local and fresh. The menu is really just suggestions because they don't mind customizing your meal.
Being a waiter is an honorable profession, they know the menu, the wines. Dining is supposed to be an enjoyable experience.
Dinner in Italy starts around 7 and you could be there 3 hours. You eat in courses, with time between to enjoy more wine and most of all conversation with your firends and the wait staff.
Probably because tipping the wait staff in almost every other country is frowned upon and they make a living wage for being good at their job. Here they rely on tips to make a living so the quicker they can get you out the door the more $$ they take home that night.

stgislander

PREMO Member

This is when I first learned the customer isn't always right. Back in the 90's, I was working in La Spezia Italy. We left the shipyard late, so it was pretty late in the evening when we went looking for a restaurant. We finally found one still open. My two co-workers and I were the only customers. The waiter had to be in his early 60's if not older. After a delicious meal he wanted to know if we wanted coffee. Being in my late 20's and no knowing any better, I ordered a cappuccino. He expressly told me no because cappuccino was a morning coffee. If we wanted coffee, it was espresso or nothing.

ShyGirl

BBQ Wings at Green and Yellow Shack at Junkaroo Beach, Bahamas

Sirloin Bowl at DWI in Fulton, NY

Garbage Plate at Nick Tahoe's in Rochester, NY

BernieP

Resident PIA
Probably because tipping the wait staff in almost every other country is frowned upon and they make a living wage for being good at their job. Here they rely on tips to make a living so the quicker they can get you out the door the more $$ they take home that night.
It's not the wait staff, it's the management, actually to be accurate it's corporate management.

This is when I first learned the customer isn't always right. Back in the 90's, I was working in La Spezia Italy. We left the shipyard late, so it was pretty late in the evening when we went looking for a restaurant. We finally found one still open. My two co-workers and I were the only customers. The waiter had to be in his early 60's if not older. After a delicious meal he wanted to know if we wanted coffee. Being in my late 20's and no knowing any better, I ordered a cappuccino. He expressly told me no because cappuccino was a morning coffee. If we wanted coffee, it was espresso or nothing.

LOL, the Italians take their coffee seriously, very serious business. Also, in a reall good restuarant, you want find salt and pepper on the table. Seasoning your food is an insult to the chef.