Most smokers want to quit, CDC report finds

atheos

User
Despite the known dangers of smoking, about 20 percent of Americans still light up, but almost 70 percent want to quit, a new government report shows.

"This study is reassuring to us," Dr. Tim McAfee, director of the Office on Smoking and Health at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said during a noon press conference Thursday.

There was a concern that there was a group of smokers who would remain smokers and not be interested in quitting, but, "in fact, what this study shows is quite the opposite," McAfee said

CDC: Most smokers want to quit - USATODAY.com

Still working on this one. Figure if I get past this addiction, then my other's will be easier to follow suit.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
For most of my 37 years of smoking, I put up with a lot of stuff from folks who hated the smoke or thought I shouldn't be doing it. When I finally quit, it didn't take long for the smell of (some kinds of) smoke to get on my nerves.

When I was a smoker I couldn't understand why anyone had a problem with it. Now cleansed of that one habit, the smoke smells bad and I feel bad for a smoker who has the same cough I once did.

I enjoyed smoking. I did not want to give it up for anyone. My wife (and cancer) finally convinced me to quit (kind of like closing the barn door after the horse is gone).

Some people are repelled by the smell of people who have smoked in a confined space like a car. The body and clothes of the smoker exude a noxious combination of odors which mouthwash, deodorant, cologne, and probably specialty odor removers like Ozium don't touch. It's worthwhile noting here that we usually know who you are and try to be civil when you enter the room, even though the smell is very bothersome. Underarm stink is equal or perhaps less offensive and easily broadcast than tobacco and marijuana residue.

Some people are repelled by the smell of people who have smoked in a confined space like a car. The body and clothes of the smoker exude a noxious combination of odors which mouthwash, deodorant, cologne, and probably specialty odor removers like Ozium don't touch. It's worthwhile noting here that we usually know who you are and try to be civil when you enter the room, even though the smell is very bothersome. Underarm stink is equal or perhaps less offensive and easily broadcast than tobacco and marijuana residue.

I have to agree. Man and his wife were behind me at the credit union this morning, and the reek was awful.

What bothers me more tho is walking thru a grocery store and passing someone who smells like that, and I think that everything they touch will smell like that. It's repulsive.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I have to agree. Man and his wife were behind me at the credit union this morning, and the reek was awful.

What bothers me more tho is walking thru a grocery store and passing someone who smells like that, and I think that everything they touch will smell like that. It's repulsive.

This is like tossing a hand grenade into the discussion but I can't resist.

Each morning walking into or out of my office, and in may other locations, I have to hold my breath to avoid second-hand smoke and the accompanying unpleasant gasses while passing through the cluster of smokers. I say nothing, because I remember being one of them and feeling abused - persecuted - by the non-smokers who would successfully make me feel like a stink-generator while (not really) enjoying my cigarette.

Each smoker has a choice: to quit or continue. Quitting brings benefits and unhappy side-effects. Continuing to smoke brings benefits and horrible side-effects. Most smokers know the specifics and the score. Those who read this and are smokers, who know that I care about them, know also that it isn't my place to be the non-smoking advocate. On the other hand, this is my heartfelt appeal and my advice.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Still working on this one. Figure if I get past this addiction, then my other's will be easier to follow suit.

Spend a week with someone who is dying from emphysema or heart failure. They are suffocating to death. I literally watched my dad suffocate to death. A most horrible death. Quit for those who love you.

atheos

User
Spend a week with someone who is dying from emphysema or heart failure. They are suffocating to death. I literally watched my dad suffocate to death. A most horrible death. Quit for those who love you.

To me, this is like saying spend a weekend with somebody that crashed into a pole from speeding and it will make you think twice about going beyond 45 mph down 235 downtown. Yeah, not true. Everybody always thinks I am better than the rest and it will never happen to me.

atheos

User
This is like tossing a hand grenade into the discussion but I can't resist.

Most smokers know the specifics and the score.

100% agree. We live in the information age. There is nothing we don't already know before we do it. At the same time, most can not come up with a great response to why they would consider pushing the envelope when it comes to cutting our short life even shorter. Why would you drive 65 in a 55 when you know it could cut your life short. Why would you get the double cheeseburger instead of the side salad when you know it could cut your short life even shorter. Why join the Marines when you know it could cut your time on this earth in half. Some of us just figure a short life is better spent in ignorant bliss then a long life in misery I suppose.

acommondisaster

Quit 11 years ago, using hypnosis. I'm thankful every day.

I had no idea I smelled so bad, but now I hate even using an elevator AFTER a smoker's been in it. I liked smoking, didn't want to quit, even the night I went to the hypnotist, but I knew I needed to. Now I can't imagine why anyone would like smoking.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Conversations like this make me never want to quit smoking. I'd hate to be so miserable every time I walked out of my house because I might encounter a smoker somewhere and seize up. It seems incredibly anti-social to be so sensitive to the smells of other people.

Neversaykever

Recent quitter! It's been about two months and I'm still doing good (by far the longest i've been without nicotine since i started). I REALLY didn't want to quit, especially since I felt like everyone around me was trying to MAKE me, so I naturally wanted to rebel. Its amazing how much better my body (and mind) feels even already; Definitely glad that i finally gave in.

I used an e-cigarette that I got shipped from england. I started that, slowly phased out the real cigs, and then slowly phased out the liquid nicotine. It was rough at first but I'm proud of myself. :yahoo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Setting something on fire and inhaling it is absurd. It stinks, it's expensive and it, obviously, harms ones health. How can inhaling smoke not be harmful?

Smoking is relaxing, reduces stress, helps one concentrate, is a social thing or, at least used to be. It smells good. It tastes good. Over conversation, coffee, after sex, passing the time.

I enjoyed cigarettes, greatly, when I smoked. until I didn't enjoy it any more. However, I ALWAYS saw it as MY choice and never did I think, for even a second, it was, somehow, against my will when I fired up.

I think banning smoking in places where the goal is to ingest poison, aka 'bars' is one of the dumbest, most hypocritical things in the history of man. I think it is reasonable and fair to offer non smoking services and goods, from air travel and buses and movie theaters and grocery and clothing stores. Offer. Not impose. Public bus? Sure. Public building? Fine. We vote on it. Passed that, it is obviously unconstitutional to impose it on private property and people.

No time line of Nanny state expansion the last 30-40 years can be accurate absent the baseline control of accounting for the desire, and success, of government control over smoking.

The desire and affects of anti smoking legislation is NO different than Obamacare or all our other entitlements. At root of many of our ills is the extreme desire to tell others what to do and the inescapable other side of that coin; I am my brothers keeper. It permeates our politics. It is the unconstitutional core of our politics.

Search your feelings, Luke. You really want to tell people what to do, don't you?

:evil:

PsyOps

Pixelated
To me, this is like saying spend a weekend with somebody that crashed into a pole from speeding and it will make you think twice about going beyond 45 mph down 235 downtown. Yeah, not true. Everybody always thinks I am better than the rest and it will never happen to me.

If you don’t think it will change your thinking, by all means don’t bother. It was only a suggestion. You have to find your own reasons and means to quit.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Recent quitter! It's been about two months and I'm still doing good (by far the longest i've been without nicotine since i started). I REALLY didn't want to quit, especially since I felt like everyone around me was trying to MAKE me, so I naturally wanted to rebel. Its amazing how much better my body (and mind) feels even already; Definitely glad that i finally gave in.

I used an e-cigarette that I got shipped from england. I started that, slowly phased out the real cigs, and then slowly phased out the liquid nicotine. It was rough at first but I'm proud of myself. :yahoo:
As you should be proud of your self. I purchased the e cig also but I have not been using it yet. Love the thread it helps!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I quit about 1 1/2 years ago after smoking for over 30. Cold turkey. I was a miserable bastard for a couple months, reportedly. Or more miserable than usual...whatever.:whistle:

I have no problem, though, being around smoke and smokers now and I'm glad of that because I have friends that still smoke...

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Conversations like this make me never want to quit smoking. I'd hate to be so miserable every time I walked out of my house because I might encounter a smoker somewhere and seize up. It seems incredibly anti-social to be so sensitive to the smells of other people.

I quit a little over 5 years ago (after 30+ years) and have been disappointed ever since. I was promised that food would taste better, the flowers would smell sweeter, I would have the stamina of Steve Austin... About the only thing that happened was I saved some cash, which in the end was the main point, MOM was planning on raising taxes on cigs and I didn't want to make the drive to VA every week.

I forgot to mention, I still love the smell of cigarette smoke.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was promised that food would taste better, the flowers would smell sweeter, I would have the stamina of Steve Austin...

It's like born-again religion - they have to justify it for some reason and encourage others to join them. Not all, but some quitters go on and on about how great they feel after they quit. Then you notice that they actually get sick a lot more - frequent colds, allergy symptoms, etc. My theory is that their sensitivity to everything is increased when they no longer have nicotine bugs keeping their immune system strong and lungs/nasal passages irritated.

The only reason I'd quit smoking is because it's inconvenient now that you can no longer smoke anywhere in public.

frequentflier

happy to be living
When I quit smoking 20+ years ago, Camels (and Pall Malls) were a buck a pack in the cigarette machines! (remember those?!) Yeah, I was a tough broad- liked them non filters.

My Mom died of lung cancer at the age of 53; with her cigarettes by her side.

Her mother lived into her late 80's and smoked 2 cartons of Marlboro 100's a week til the end. My Mom's father sometimes smoked cigs; but mostly stogies and a tobacco pipe all his adult life and also lived into his late 80's- without any apparent medical issues. Go figure.

Neversaykever

I forgot to mention, I still love the smell of cigarette smoke.

I definitely love the smell. I get moments sometimes when i smell it where i want to have one, but i just need one little thing to distract me from the temptation and its instantly gone