Most smokers want to quit, CDC report finds

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I fart when the dog farts. Ergo I never fart. Which is to say I do fart. It just a tree amidst the forest. So to speak.

Interestingly enough, dog pee doesn't stink much. Cat pee is horrific. However, cat poop ain't so bad and dog #### is, well, smells like dog ####.

:evil:

:yay: Cat pee does stink.

.... so let's keep a box of it in the kitchen :crazy:

Back on topic...
I quit about 3 years ago, took Chantix for a month and stopped a 30+ year habit. When I was a smoker, I quit smoking in the house brcause I'm lazy and didn't want to clean nicotine off the TV, walls and pictures.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Was your mother born prematurely?

Why do you ask?

I don't think she was a premie and actually think she would have died had she been. She was born in 1933, they were poor and I doubt the hospitals had the capabilities they do now.
She was actually very healthy up until the cancer killed her.

Nanny Pam

For most of my 37 years of smoking, I put up with a lot of stuff from folks who hated the smoke or thought I shouldn't be doing it. When I finally quit, it didn't take long for the smell of (some kinds of) smoke to get on my nerves.

When I was a smoker I couldn't understand why anyone had a problem with it. Now cleansed of that one habit, the smoke smells bad and I feel bad for a smoker who has the same cough I once did.

I enjoyed smoking. I did not want to give it up for anyone. My wife (and cancer) finally convinced me to quit (kind of like closing the barn door after the horse is gone).

Some people are repelled by the smell of people who have smoked in a confined space like a car. The body and clothes of the smoker exude a noxious combination of odors which mouthwash, deodorant, cologne, and probably specialty odor removers like Ozium don't touch. It's worthwhile noting here that we usually know who you are and try to be civil when you enter the room, even though the smell is very bothersome. Underarm stink is equal or perhaps less offensive and easily broadcast than tobacco and marijuana residue.

I feel exactly the same way. I loved to smoke, but I had to quit. Glad I did too!

frequentflier

happy to be living
It is hard to imagine now. I worked in a hospital. People going up and down the halls with a cigarette, etc.

OMG! We have been watching the Mad Men series through Netflix and most of the characters smoke all the time; everywhere! They drink like fish, too.
I do remember the days of no restriction smoking and believe the only place people did not smoke was in church or in school. (except in the bathroom!)
The doctor we had growing up chain smoked Pall Malls and everything in his office and waiting area was covered with a layer of nicotine. I remember the huge glass ashtray on his desk was always full of butts and looked like it never got cleaned.

Nanny Pam

OMG! We have been watching the Mad Men series through Netflix and most of the characters smoke all the time; everywhere! They drink like fish, too.
I do remember the days of no restriction smoking and believe the only place people did not smoke was in church or in school. (except in the bathroom!)
The doctor we had growing up chain smoked Pall Malls and everything in his office and waiting area was covered with a layer of nicotine. I remember the huge glass ashtray on his desk was always full of butts and looked like it never got cleaned.

Ewww :barf: Now that you mention it, I remember smoking in the grocery store. Awful habit, those ciggys!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I fart when the dog farts. Ergo I never fart. Which is to say I do fart. It just a tree amidst the forest. So to speak.

Interestingly enough, dog pee doesn't stink much. Cat pee is horrific. However, cat poop ain't so bad and dog #### is, well, smells like dog ####.

:evil:

No worries. She keeps them all in the trash now. :yay:

Attachments

• DeeJay.jpg
    DeeJay.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 86

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ewww :barf: Now that you mention it, I remember smoking in the grocery store. Awful habit, those ciggys!

Clothing stores, movie theaters, airplanes, buses, trains...

I remember people and places where there was no smoking because it stood out so much.

"What's that stink???"

"Air"

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
Why do you ask?

I don't think she was a premie and actually think she would have died had she been. She was born in 1933, they were poor and I doubt the hospitals had the capabilities they do now.
She was actually very healthy up until the cancer killed her.

The reason I asked is because, if I am not mistaken (and too tired to look it up right now), in the ninth month is when the lungs finish developing. Hence, poor lung capacity start in life. Could have been the reason the family health history did not apply to her. JAT

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I'm going to start being rude to people who smell. "Good lord, who marinaded in that cheap cologne??" "Please tell me that body wash was a gift from your grandmother!" "Dude, seriously, when was the last time you showered??"

They'd do it to me because I smoke. :shrug:

Actually, I'm not a stinky smoker and my house smells more like cats than nicotine. I've had non-smokers tell me that. But I'm going to be rude to smelly people anyway.

:killingme

Back when I was a smoker, I had the cat thing going too. Poor cat!

I mean seriously, although I hate it in public places where it really does bother me, if I own the home, I have no intention of going out in the weather to have a smoke. Same goes for the car.

On the other hand, having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool. :lol:

nobody really

I need a nap
I want to quit so bad, i can tell its impacting my endurance during spinning. and i have this cough i can't get rid of.

I told myself my goal this year is to do 65 miles in April on the end hunger bike ride in calvert. Last year i did 35 miles in under 2.5 hrs. I quit smoking for a week before. Lit up as soon as i was done.

i don't even know why i started back up. I just need to quit.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Actually, I'm not a stinky smoker and my house smells more like cats than nicotine. I've had non-smokers tell me that. But I'm going to be rude to smelly people anyway.

ALL smokers smell like their smoke of choice. To some they are stinky. The smokers just don't know it until they quit. I've found old clothes I'd like to wear again that had been laundered and put away years ago, and they smelled like cigarettes so much I hardly wanted to touch them.

One side-effect of my habit was that I grew tumors in my maxillary sinuses and in a couple of other spots near my nasal passages. The resultant surgery dulled my sense of smell and worse, dulled my ability to taste food. But when the wind's right (actually wrong) I can smell cigarette smoke a long, long way from the source, and the smell of a car that's been smoked in gives me a headache.

Remember, I smoked for 37 years and hated all those who were critical of smoking. I even swore that I'd never be critical of smoking after I quit. I'm not smug, just telling you what it looks like from outside.

And yes, tell me how bad I stink if we ever meet I love my colognes...in small doses most of the time...

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
As a kid, I watched my neighbor's beloved Nana, a HEAVY smoker, die of lung cancer. Unfortunately, it did nothing to deter me from starting smoking in my teens. I smoked for 19 years and finally quit -- cold turkey and without drugs, hypnosis, depression or massive weight gain -- and I have been smoke-free for 13 years. To those of you thinking of quitting, do it now! And don't listen to the drug companies -- despite what they tell you, you don't need nicotine gum, patches or any other "crutch" to quit. Those things only prolong your habit and make those companies rich in the process.

It took a very specific regimen of drugs and patches to get me off cigarettes. I had to follow it to the letter, having failed so many times that I didn't think I'd do it. Thank God it worked (I believe He made it work).

Everyone is different. Some say that smoking is more addictive than Heroin, although I wonder about that. But tolerance and support for those willing to quit can't be deep enough.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I want to quit so bad, i can tell its impacting my endurance during spinning. and i have this cough i can't get rid of.

I told myself my goal this year is to do 65 miles in April on the end hunger bike ride in calvert. Last year i did 35 miles in under 2.5 hrs. I quit smoking for a week before. Lit up as soon as i was done.

Hat's off to ya! And I know you can drop the cigarettes and get back on track. :huggy:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed

We can do it!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Clothing stores, movie theaters, airplanes, buses, trains...

I remember people and places where there was no smoking because it stood out so much.

"What's that stink???"

"Air"

Years ago my dad used to smoke a pipe I loved the smell of the cherry blend tobacco he used to smoke, I may get a pouch of it just to use for potpourri.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Years ago my dad used to smoke a pipe I loved the smell of the cherry blend tobacco he used to smoke, I may get a pouch of it just to use for potpourri.

Yup. Then, an older friend inhaled his pipe and exhaled through his white t shirt to make a point as to what gets on your lungs.

butterfly08

I smoked my last cigarette Dec 26 last year. It was definately the best thing I've ever done! The first couple of months were really difficult. Life is much better now that I don't have to worry about smoking my next cigarette and I am saving a lot of money!