Motor Home Crash in Utah Kills Six

J

justhangn

DRAPER, Utah (AP) - Investigators ruled out poor road and weather conditions but were left puzzled as to why a motor home crashed off an interstate bridge, killing six of the 10 people on board.

All 10 were believed to be members of a West Richland, Wash., family. Their names were not immediately released.

The driver, a man believed to be in his 40s, died on impact, Utah Highway Patrol spokesman Chris Kramer said Monday. The man's wife died later Sunday in a hospital. Also killed in the crash were two girls, ages 6 and 4, and two boys, ages 7 and 5 months.

Three other children survived the crash. An 8-year-old boy was hospitalized in critical condition, and another 8-year-old and a 14-year-old had less serious injuries, Kramer said.

The motor home was traveling north on Interstate 15, about 20 miles south of Salt Lake City, when it went into the median, through a guard rail and then fell about 100 feet to a highway and rolled up an embankment.

Wind at first was thought a possible factor in pushing the 30-foot motor home from its left lane into the median, but with wind gusts no more than 19 mph on Sunday, Utah Highway Patrol Trooper Anthony Carrubba discounted that.

"The road conditions were fine," Carrubba said. "There were no skid marks."

SLCX10112290027.jpg

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
8 kids in a small confined space. I think I just discovered the cause of the accident.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by cmcdanal
8 kids in a small confined space. I think I just discovered the cause of the accident.

Yeah, the father had an aneurysm from the stress. :lmao:

Dymphna

Originally posted by justhangn
Yeah, the father had an aneurysm from the stress. :lmao:

nay, he turned around to smack one of them who was acting up. As he turned, he turned the wheel too.

J

justhangn

nay, he turned around to smack one of them who was acting up. As he turned, he turned the wheel too.

Good point.....I wonder where all of the wives were. :shrug:

Dymphna

Originally posted by justhangn
Good point.....I wonder where all of the wives were. :shrug:

They were from Washington, not Utah. Mom was asleep. She puts up with the noise every day, she didn't even notice anymore.

J

justhangn

They were from Washington, not Utah. Mom was asleep. She puts up with the noise every day, she didn't even notice anymore.

:duh: See what happens when you women sleep on the job. :spank:

You know you can't leave child rearing to us men. :lmao:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by cariblue
That's really sad. That looks like it was a pretty nice rig before the crash.

HI snookums!!

I figured you'd enjoy this one. :yay:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by cariblue
That's really sad. That looks like it was a pretty nice rig before the crash.

:yeahthat:

You are really screwed if you have an accident in a motor home. They will fall over fairly easy and fold up.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by IM4Change
:yeahthat:

You are really screwed if you have an accident in a motor home. They will fall over fairly easy and fold up.

Nothing like rolling a tin can at speed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Cold chill...

...we looked at this exact model.

It's a Forest River and the sales guy said that it has a stronger cage, 2" square tube, than typical coaches 1.5" square.

100' fall is nasty no matter what you are in.