Mount Etna in Italy erupts twice in 48 hours

Kyle

Having a Beer while the world burns!
PREMO Member
Authorities were prepared for the initial eruption

Teams in Italy worked to clean up the area surrounding Mount Etna Wednesday after the volcano spewed lava, ash and volcanic stones.

Municipal teams largely anticipated activity from Etna, Europe’s most active volcano. Authorities shut down areas around the crater Tuesday, but the activity still forced the temporary closure of nearby Sicily’s Catania Airport.

SailorGirl

Authorities were prepared for the initial eruption

Teams in Italy worked to clean up the area surrounding Mount Etna Wednesday after the volcano spewed lava, ash and volcanic stones.

Municipal teams largely anticipated activity from Etna, Europe’s most active volcano. Authorities shut down areas around the crater Tuesday, but the activity still forced the temporary closure of nearby Sicily’s Catania Airport.

Pandemics, power outages in Texas, ice storms, snow in the south, volcanos...what's next zombies?

Monello

Yeah, whatever
PREMO Member
Here's a good shot of the magnitude of the smoke column. I skied up on those slopes a few decades ago. I think the place was called Piano Provenzano. I'll have to check to see if it's still around.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Here's a good shot of the magnitude of the smoke column. I skied up on those slopes a few decades ago. I think the place was called Piano Provenzano. I'll have to check to see if it's still around.

View attachment 155310
I was working out of Malta supporting a high speed ferry operation that connected to various Sicilian ports. Late 1980s or early 90s.. We'd overnight in Catania on some runs. Etna was quite active at the time and every morning we had to gather crew to clean the black ash/grit off the nice white decks and superstructure of the ferry. Good times though.

UglyBear

I was working out of Malta supporting a high speed ferry operation that connected to various Sicilian ports. Late 1980s or early 90s.. We'd overnight in Catania on some runs. Etna was quite active at the time and every morning we had to gather crew to clean the black ash/grit off the nice white decks and superstructure of the ferry. Good times though.

View attachment 155362
Did you have any input into naming the vessel?