Mountain Lion in PA

Mountain lions were thought to be extinct in Pa as of the mid 19th Century. 2 weeks ago a hunter up by Uniontown got a picture on his game cam of a mountain lion dragging a 6 or 8 pt. buck.:yahoo:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Mountain lions were thought to be extinct in Pa as of the mid 19th Century. 2 weeks ago a hunter up by Uniontown got a picture on his game cam of a mountain lion dragging a 6 or 8 pt. buck.:yahoo:

:eyebrow: Really? I remember going up state with my sister's in laws (their family is from there) and they had issues with Mountain Lion, this would be about 15 years ago.

Well this is great news!

river rat

BUCKING GOAT

I'm confused also......

There has been mountain lions.

It is the Nittnany Lion that was hunted to extinction. Last one seen in the 1860's.

Did they see a Nittnany??

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
I stand corrected Penna Game Commission reports no eastern mountain lions since 1874.

Most sightings are inconclusive and if there is a sighting it generally leads to someone who has had it as an exotic pet.

Guess if this guy reports, as he should, they will hunt it down and trap it and the owner will lose the permit to have it.

bulldog

UPDATE: An alert reader sent this photo of a mountain lion taken about three weeks ago (September 2009) near Farmington, Pa, in Fayette County. It had recently killed a buck and was dragging it across the road.

Pennsylvania: Hunt. Fish. Shoot. » Lions Confirmed

Must be the picture huntr1 is talking about, but there seems to be doubt that it was really in PA.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
This quote at the beginning of the article caught my eye.

We all know that the Amish don't lie.

An Amish farmer along 944 in Cumberland County complained to the PGC a mountain lion was killing his sheep. They came out and investigated. Their conclusion: “Sir, you don’t have a mountain lion.” A week later the farmer shot the mountain lion. The very sad news: there was a PGC ear tag on it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
This is the most believable post on that site...

Folks, the above article is slightly different then what I originally said. Since beginning studies in 1965, we have accumulated a considerable amount of hard evidence, including plaster casts of confirmed tracks, photographs & videotapes that had been confirmed as a cougar or black panther and most recently discoveries of deer kill sites in svereal easetrn states.
Hard evidence does exist and has been confirmed by independent professional scientists. However, most wildlife officials absolutely refuse to acknowledge the evidence, thus they continue to bury their heads in the sand, hoping the big cats will disapper.
Even a few DEAD pumas have been found & identified after being struck & killed on highways in New York, Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois & Pennsylvania. That’s right folks, even in Pennsylvania.
John A. Lutz, Director, Eastern Puma Reserach Network

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
This is the most believable post on that site...

I don't even belive that one! :lol:

I think they may have casts from footprints but....they have to come up with something to validate funding to continue research.

I only believe the Amish dude :yay:

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
When did the Amish start using computers?

Okay, it was reported by an Amish dude and someone else entered it....(speculating)
Although, even he could have wrongly indentified it.

Bottom line is eastern mountain lions only exist in Fla. on the east coast. Unless someone has a permit to have one.
If they do try to re-establish they will be hunted to extinction again.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Okay, it was reported by an Amish dude and someone else entered it....(speculating)

Bottom line is eastern mountain lions only exist in Fla. on the east coast. Unless someone has a permit to have one.

I think there are all kinds of critters out there that we don't see, but that's just me. I don't know how we can say that something only exists in one place, when it has the ability to move about.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
I think there are all kinds of critters out there that we don't see, but that's just me. I don't know how we can say that something only exists in one place, when it has the ability to move about.

I agree with you, on the part that says "we don't see".

The problem is that these reports are speculation with no evidence. Supposable sightings. That keeps the deputies of the PGC running in circles. Time and again it has been debunked. Whether it is a prank or just mistakenly intentified.

The PGC is trying to squash these claims or "fears" so that every Bobcat that someone sees doesn't result in a phone call to the regional office.

I think a mountain lion population would be wonderful in Pa. since they have had to increase the amount of doe tags to help thin the herd. But, mountain lions eat more than just venison. That's why they were killed off in the first place.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I agree with you, on the part that says "we don't see".

The problem is that these reports are speculation with no evidence. Supposable sightings. That keeps the deputies of the PGC running in circles. Time and again it has been debunked. Whether it is a prank or just mistakenly intentified.

The PGC is trying to squash these claims or "fears" so that every Bobcat that someone sees doesn't result in a phone call to the regional office.

I think a mountain lion population would be wonderful in Pa. since they have had to increase the amount of doe tags to help thin the herd. But, mountain lions eat more than just venison. That's why they were killed off in the first place.

On the other hand, if people stop reporting sightings, if and when they are legit, then people are not forewarned. I think most people can tell the difference between a mountain lion and a bobcat. Also, a bobcat can be just as dangerous as a mountain lion when it comes to pets and children in the back yard, and they have been known to bring down small livestock and deer. So I would think that whether it's a mountain lion or a bobcat, that one would want to be aware of it being in a populated area. Disclaimer: Not that I'm saying this particular incident occurred in a populated area.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
On the other hand, if people stop reporting sightings, if and when they are legit, then people are not forewarned. I think most people can tell the difference between a mountain lion and a bobcat. Also, a bobcat can be just as dangerous as a mountain lion when it comes to pets and children in the back yard, and they have been known to bring down small livestock and deer. So I would think that whether it's a mountain lion or a bobcat, that one would want to be aware of it being in a populated area. Disclaimer: Not that I'm saying this particular incident occurred in a populated area.

I am all for the community's safety. However, as you may have notice on the link to the Puma reasearch center, even they posted pictures of a bobcat and claimed it was a mountain lion
Bobcats already coexist within populated areas. (Farms and rural homes) I am not claiming them to be in towns or HOA's.

Hunters generally feild dress and customarily leave the entrails on a rock for bear and bobcats.
To call in a bobcat sighting would be equavilent to calling in a bear sighting. Bobcats are there and it is acceptable.

As these wrongful sightings are reported, it entices fear, confusion for the PGC and ultimately poaching of cats because everyone is :jameo:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
As these wrongful sightings are reported, it entices fear, confusion for the PGC and ultimately poaching of cats because everyone is :jameo:

I think I see what your getting at. You mean poaching of mountain lions (cats)? I'd personally prefer they not be reported, I'm just saying that most people would want to know if a large cat was wandering around in their general location, for whatever reason...personal safety, livestock, children in the yard. Know what I mean? And without "proof" we can't say it's a mountain lion, but we can't say it isn't, either. No proof either way.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

My brother found one on the side of the road that had been hit but not damaged. He got it stuffed and put it in his guest bedroom. Needless to say, he doesn't have a lot of over-night guests. :roflmao: