moving from san francisco to southern maryland....will I be dissillusioned?

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Rugby! Rugby! Rugby!!!!!! Yes, there is a men's club here. My boyfriend was the president, but still continues to play. Guys from the men's club also play on B-sides for the men's team at St. Mary's College. (The college women's team will also accept outside players for their B-side games as well, in case you're interested!) So, yes, there is DEFINITELY some RUGBY!!!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
In reference to this thread:

If you're GOING to San Fransisco, be sure to wear some flowers in you hair!

watercolor

yeah yeah
Be afraid...of the Seventh District.....omm more like run in terror!!!!!! LOL

I am just saying that cause my fiance is from there!! *lol*:rolleyes:

watercolor

yeah yeah
That is not true BK...lol...more like bring your glow sticks and shrooms...I am just kidding..please no one take offense to that! I can say it cauyse I am from there!!!

H

Heretic

It's not as rural as you may think. Yes there are rural areas but there is also endless surburban sprawl. And yes there is more crime that one might think. I moved here a couple years ago thinking it was a sleepy little country town but have since discovered the drunks and crackheads. I have had to chase one out of my yard recently on more than one occasion.

Rule of thumb dont live any where within a few miles of a liqour store, thats where most of the degenerates congregate.

H

Heretic

Oh yea and it doesn't really snow here. So far in the last two years we have had 2-3 days with a couple inches of snow.

Actually I dont even consider that we have winter here.

An average winter day is mid 40's.

And there is a CVS pharmacy about every block or so it seems.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
The Crime Issue is more centralized around the larger areas ie Waldorf and also around Andrews AFB. There is crime wherever you go - fact of life nowadays. However most of the murders and violent crimes are not strangers doing drivebys. I live in St. Mary's and feel safe walking out my door when it is dark and going to a store or restaraunt or just about anywhere by myself. Of course, like anywhere there are places that I don't go because it could be a case of inviting trouble. And you learn those places quickly enough. Compared to where you are currently (having been there) you will feel like you have finally found a little corner of heaven when you get here. And you won't complain about the traffic ROFLMAO like everybody else does!

Christy

b*tch rocket
I've lived in many places, but you can't beat Southern MD. I'm big on privacy. I don't want my neighbors lookin at me from out their window. We have the perfect house with lots of privacy and plenty of room to throw great parties. :cheers: Check out Barbra's link of pics of the last Southern MD online party that was held at my place. It will give you an idea of what you can get around here for well under $340K!

www.geocities.com/nikkoblues

I just saw a house listed in my neighborhood in the classifieds on here that might interest you....

Located in Country Lakes in Mechanicsville (37287 Tanyard Drive)4 Bdrm, 3 Bath, 5.1 Acres, 2 Car Garage (Heated),Inground Pool, Large Shed, Paved Driveway, Sunroom,L/R, D/R, Family Rm, Eat-in-Kitchen, Masonry Fireplace, Located at the end of cul-di-sac very private. $240,000

Do you know where you guys will be working yet? (Lexington Park or DC?)

Good luck to you, and if you have time when you are in for the family reunion, you should try and hook up with some folks on here. They're ALL (at least the ones I've met in person) great folks.

Diana

We are not relocating because of a job move. My husband is a contracter/estimater/project manager and is confident that he will find work before long in Maryland. My grandparents and loads of aunts uncles and cousins, as well as my mother half of the year, all live around Charles and St.mary's counties. We just want a home with some space near family. My husband is from Ireland and our visits back to his home would be less expensive traveling from DC to Dublin than traveling from San Francisco.

I think we will rent for awhile before sinking our teeth into a mortage.

I am desparate to find an old old home with a big front porch, fireplace, an acre or so, that we can fix up...So often the homes I see in the HOMES AND LAND of SoMD are split foyers from the seventies, ramblers/or ranchers with big garages on the front of them, or brand new homes made to resemble older homes on the outside.

These are all well and good....but not what I am hoping to buy.
I grew up in florida and I have to say...pools are often not worth the work they require. But I'll look forward to swimming in a friend or neighbor's when I arrive in MD!

Mechanicsville sounds like a nice place...my auntie lives out there with her race car drive/mechanic husband. I LOVE the names of towns in MD....Beantown, Dentsville, California, Allen's Fresh!

I mean...Allen's Fresh!??What is that about anyway!
:confused:
:cheesy:

Diana

The majority of single family homes in San Francisco are only shells of what they used to be. They've be chopped apart inside into many studio apartments, or each level will be its own apartment....they even build on the tiny bit of yard each home usually has out the back and put another mini condo there!

Our neighbor was asking 699,000 for her home and the new owner probably gladly paid above the asking price.
However,the home is 100 years old, the inside of it has been cheaply cut up and renovated ...it used to be a single family home...now it looks like some horrible downtrodden dump from the seventies inside. The built in cabinets and hardwood floors are gone, the fireplace has been blocked up, think plexiglass windows and office carpeting in a shade of avacado. Also, it sits next to our identical house that we rent a flat in, directly in front of a busy corner and noisy bus stop. It hasn't even a scrap of yard either and no view of anything...well unless you count the video repair shop's neon lights across the street and their side window looks into the lobby of our identical flat.

Can you believe it!? Really, even if we wanted to stay in this great city, I could never fathom paying over half a million dollars for such a home.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Oh I can def. believe that price in cali.

Man...I remember coming back home a few years ago and I was thinking WHOA!
Cause of here and there...big diff.

Well I am sure you will like it here, and because you have family here will make it better also. *smile*

As I said before...it grows on you

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Welcome Diana

I am another California transplant, from Los Altos. I have been here for 12 years and like it very much. :)

Diana

Los Altos is lovely Rose Red! I'm glad to here you love living in Maryland. If you came from a beautiful place like Los Altos and are just as happy in Southern Maryland...it certainly speaks well for Maryland!:)

We are coming this week to look at things. Does anyone know of a hotel with water access and suites? The hotels on the online directories are the usual chains...which are fine of course, but as we are on our holidays we would like to stay someplace especially scenic and roomy for the couple of nights that family will not be accomodating us.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks for the kind comments, I was born and raised in California and do miss certain things, but I am very happy here.

The Holiday Inn on Solomons has suites and water access. Also, there are a lot of good restaurants on the Island as well.

Enjoy your visit. :)

BOP

Wow! :cheers: You can find all that here.
And we will gladly welcome you, because you sound like someone who actually wants to enjoy southern MD without all the complaining.

Clearly you don't know any San Franciscans. Their motto: we don't like it where we are, but you all better conform to our idea of what life should be (just like San Fransisco).

Okay, not all of them are like that, but too many of them are. Oregonians refer to it as the "Californication Effect."

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Clearly you don't know any San Franciscans. Their motto: we don't like it where we are, but you all better conform to our idea of what life should be (just like San Fransisco).

Okay, not all of them are like that, but too many of them are. Oregonians refer to it as the "Californication Effect."

Not me.