Moving To Southern Maryland Soon...

RPM

Hi,

I will soon be relocating to southern maryland. i currently live just south of Baltimore. The area I am considering is in the lexington park/great mills neck of the woods. The reason for my relocation is I just started working at Dominion natural gas plant. I have a six year old daughter and a new born son, so schools are one of my concerns.

any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Generally, in St. Mary's county, schools in the north are better then the south. There are 3 elementary schools rated as "failing" and they are all in the Lex. Pk/Great Mills area.

I'm in the northern end of the county and don't know much about the southern end.

You should bump this thread up in the morning, more people will see it.

RangerJohn

I happen to be leaving the area (wanna buy a house?) and have had my issues with the St Mary's School district, but I have to say that Park Hall Elementary was a pleasant surprise, Spring Ridge Middle has improved, and it appears that Great Mills is improving as well. The growth in population in St Mary's County has also brought in some new teachers, and some much needed new ideas and attitudes.

that being said, most of the teachers that I have dealt with have made their absolute best effort in teaching my kids, and when they notice that a parent is involved with their childs education, and I do try to be, have been very helpful in letting me know what I can do to help my boys improve. Mrs Wilson at Park Hall was an absolute jewel, and any child that has her as a teacher will be the better for it.

don't judge the school by the test scores, but actually go in, visit the schools, and judge for yourself. It takes time, but it was a good investment for me.

K

Kain99

Let's take Ranger's advice and ignore the horrific school reputations in the south. Ya can't ignore the crime rates. Look in the Northern end. You will be much better off.

jmho

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by RPM
Hi,

I will soon be relocating to southern maryland. i currently live just south of Baltimore. The area I am considering is in the lexington park/great mills neck of the woods. The reason for my relocation is I just started working at Dominion natural gas plant. I have a six year old daughter and a new born son, so schools are one of my concerns.

any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.
Isn't the Dominion plant in Calvert County? You might want to come check out the drive over the bridge and see how far you would have to go should they have to shut the bridge down again.

RPM

ken king

yes, if the bridge closes, it is a very long drive. i will just have to take that day off.:biggrin:

RPM

kain99

im sure the crime rate there cant be any worse than glen burnie. (the area i currently live)

RangerJohn

Re: rangerjohn

Originally posted by RPM
yes i am looking to buy a house.

what do you have???

I have a 5 bedroom colonial in Cedar Cove, it is advertised on SOMD.com

Good subdivision, great neighbors, and close to the bay and gate 3.

RPM

sounds nice man, but unfortunatly its about 70,000 too much for me. im supporting a family of 4 on a single income. lol

Dymphna

Originally posted by RPM
sounds nice man, but unfortunatly its about 70,000 too much for me. im supporting a family of 4 on a single income. lol
Not gonna find much for 130.

You should check out living in Lusby - since that's where the LNG plant is - and your commute would be next to nothing. Lots and lots of houses (from modest to pricey waterfront), a couple of parks (Calvert Cliffs State park, Annmarie Gardens) - has a few grocery stores (and will be getting more), good schools (http://www.calvertnet.k12.md.us/) and still close enough to drive over to St. Marys county for cheaper gasoline and Target shopping!

Dymphna

Originally posted by cariblue
:confused:
He said the house in the listing was 70K too much. The house was listed for 299,900. Hence, he is looking for a house around 130K.

RPM

looking for something for around 230,000. and want a community with side walks and other houses around. i looked into the ranch estates, but it wasnt what i want. i did find a neighborhood called lake meadows or something like that off of chancellors run road. nice houses for around 200,000. if i can get a house built in there, i think i would be happy.

anyone ever heard of it?

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by RPM
looking for something for around 230,000. and want a community with side walks and other houses around. i looked into the ranch estates, but it wasnt what i want. i did find a neighborhood called lake meadows or something like that off of chancellors run road. nice houses for around 200,000. if i can get a house built in there, i think i would be happy.

anyone ever heard of it?

I think it is Meadow Lake. We had looked at that place before we decided to move out of Maryland. Construction in so-so, association has some issues, and you get to come out of a decent neighborhood straight into the ghetto. Had they put in a different entrance so it didn't take you by the ghetto homes, it wouldn't be too bad.