Mr. Tire

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
If they had done this right, we were going to buy a set of 4 for the Mustang. I had even discussed price with Brian. Those tires are not cheap either.

So now, someone else will get that sale.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I made the mistake of going to the Mr. Tire in L'town for tires and brakes. I had to wait 3-4 days for the tires to come in, I was given two different quotes for the tire price, (I had 1 in writing). The brake job was a total debacle. The "mechanic" (I use that term very loosely) made sure he took the exact amojunt of time that was in the labor guide. So I was basically watching this guy sit on his azz while all 4 rotors got turned (they knew I was waiting) instead doing 1 corner while another rotor was being turned. Finally get all corners done, pay up, go to work that pm. A couple of days later I notice A LOT of brake dust on one wheel, I blow it off. A couple of days after that I hear the tell tale sounds of a wear indicator. Take it back to Mr. Tire, stuck caliper we need to replace. Ok, I leave the car. I takes 3 days to get the part in, 1st one was wrong corner and it came from Philadelphia we need to re order. Finally after 7 days I get my car back and it is finally done right. Never again.

I usually go to Cheseldine's but now that I am living in the 7th I was trying to save some time and gas money. Lesson learned.

Ponytail

2ndAmendment said:
Did it again. Motor muscle memory.

Rotate your tires, putting the LF (problem tire) on the RR. This will kill the scalloping in a hurry, and if the tire is out of balance, you will notice it MUCH more on the back than the front and can then take it to get balanced.

However, if the tire IS scalloped bad enough, no amount of balancing will help. It'll always shimmy. And this does happen VERY quickly...like less than 1000 miles. All it takes is to be slightly over inflated or under inflated in comparison to the other tires. And since you had the tire replaced on the rim only, my guess is that this is where your problem came from. This tire was probably over inflated upon installation which is very common, as a normal practice of seating the tire bead.

Those are good tires though. For a truck with 160,000 miles on it, can't ya live with a little noise/vibe and save your self from possible further aggrivation?

As a rule, I never replace just one tire. Dunno why. I was told this by someone over the years, and it just stuck.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
After having 2 sets of bad tires from Mr. Tire I also won't be going back to them. I think they must sell manufacturer's seconds - what we used to call "blems" (short for blemished). And no matter what symptom you report, they swear it's not their tires causing the problem.

But when a tire is 1/2" out-of-round, and it's a Michelin, and it's only got about 5,000 miles on it, and another place says it's defective, I'd say it might be the tire.

Toxick

Splat
2ndAmendment said:
:killingme Yeah, you are right. I type Christ far more than Chris, so my fingers were on a roll.

I know the feeling.

There are several words that I type a lot for work, that unintentionally pop up in conversational messages.

I can't spell "properly" without slowing down, or it will come out "property"

That's one of many.

Midnightrider

I've had several bad experiences with Mr tire over the years. the last time i went to them i had a broken band in a front tire so it shook horribly. Well 4 new tires later and i get a calll saying that i needed to come in to talk about more work that needed to be done. When i got there they tried to tell me i needed a new rack and pinion, struts, and tierod ends- estimated at $2500. I laughed and left withthe new tires, the car went straight down the road, and didn't have any weird wear on the tires! I think they saw me come in wearig a tie and figured i wouldn't know any better.

I go to Curtis now, fair and quick....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
I hope they at least wear closed toe shoes when they're working...steal toes would be asking too much I think.

If someone were to steal his toes, he wouldn't have to worry about steel toe boots, right? :wink:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Ponytail said:
Rotate your tires, putting the LF (problem tire) on the RR. This will kill the scalloping in a hurry, and if the tire is out of balance, you will notice it MUCH more on the back than the front and can then take it to get balanced.

However, if the tire IS scalloped bad enough, no amount of balancing will help. It'll always shimmy. And this does happen VERY quickly...like less than 1000 miles. All it takes is to be slightly over inflated or under inflated in comparison to the other tires. And since you had the tire replaced on the rim only, my guess is that this is where your problem came from. This tire was probably over inflated upon installation which is very common, as a normal practice of seating the tire bead.

Those are good tires though. For a truck with 160,000 miles on it, can't ya live with a little noise/vibe and save your self from possible further aggrivation?

As a rule, I never replace just one tire. Dunno why. I was told this by someone over the years, and it just stuck.
Like I said, the tires have only about 4k on them. Tread is really good on all the tires, even the "bad" one. The truck does not shimmy. Just makes a whump, whump sound as you go down the road.

I was told never to switch sides with radial tires, so RF (problem tire) to LR should not be done. It makes the radial cords flex in the opposite rotation which can cause delamination or so I was told by an rep from a rite manufacturer. :shrug: RF to RR and LF to LR is OK. Xing the tires during rotation is fine for bias tires.

Last edited:

ServiceGuy

Sorry I didn’t take the time to rear this entire post. Your choice in auto repair shops should never be based solely on price that is on the estimate. I tell all my customers to find a quality shop that you trust and take all your repair needs to them regardless of what is it or the cost of the repair. Shopping around for auto repairs usually gets you just what you asked for, the same job with a lower cost. (Lower cost in auto repairs means lower quality, maybe parts, maybe labor, maybe both) A customer needs to build a relationship with a repair shop, and most people find that in the long run their repair cost will go down. A lot of shops see a customer once the live for today attitude takes over (if they never return there will always be another car to take their place) a quality shop is more inclined to look at the customer as a long term commitment to keep the customer happy so they will not only return themselves but refer friends. The most important thing to remember when getting a quote for an auto repair is that make sure your estimates and apples to apples and all the apples are the same color also. Estimates can be written to low ball you in the door, but then once you car is on the rack now the real estimate comes into play, and just might be in the same price range and the shop that you decided was just to expensive but tried to be honest with you the first time (but you were thinking about the cost and not the quality of the repair). It is hard to give good estimates over the phone. I hope this makes sense to all reading the post?

As for Tirerack tires those people are hard to beat. Look at is this way why did Waldorf Tire lower there price only after you told them the price quoted to you from Tirerack? Did you say to yourself, wow! Tirerack was honest and right up front with their best price and buy the tires from them, or did you buy the tires from the guy who would have charged you more for the exact tire if you had not asked him to match the tirerack price?

One last thing then I am off my soapbox

Good auto repair and maintenance doesn’t cost it pays!!!

Ponytail

2ndAmendment said:
Like I said, the tires have only about 4k on them. Tread is really good on all the tires, even the "bad" one. The truck does not shimmy. Just makes a whump, whump sound as you go down the road.

I was told never to switch sides with radial tires, so RF (problem tire) to LR should not be done. It makes the radial cords flex in the opposite rotation which can cause delamination or so I was told by an rep from a rite manufacturer. :shrug: RF to RR and LF to LR is OK. Xing the tires during rotation is fine for bias tires.

Not true.

http://www.hogantire.com/tctiremyths2.htm . See # 7.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&currentpage=38

And this from bridgstones website...
http://www.bridgestone-usa.com/warranty/warr8.htm

" Radial Tire Rotation

The purpose of tire rotation is to minimize irregular or uneven wear caused by maintaining a tire in one rotation direction and one position over an extended period. The illustration shows the rotation patterns normally recommended for radial passenger and light truck tires. See your owner’s manual for recommended pattern. Rotate tires every 5,000 miles or at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended mileage, if sooner. Individual tire pressures must be checked after rotation and adjusted to tile vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation for the tire’s new location on the vehicle. Vehicle alignment should be checked if irregular wear is evident. Follow the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended pattern for rotation or if not provided, the following may be used:

(see attachment)

Attachments

• rotation2.gif
    rotation2.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

hwyman3

I went to the Mr. Tire in La Plata once to have tires put on a Sable. I was quoted a price for Michelins, and when I went to pick up the car, it had Nittos. I told them they quoted me Michelins and told them to put the old tires back on. They told me I was crazy that the Nittos were a heck of a trie. I asked if that was the case, why didn't they tell me they wanted to sell me Nitto instead of Michelin?

Moonchild

Moonchilds hubby here.

I've used Cheseldine once, and sadly, they damaged my wheels mounting the new tires. After some "discussion", he did offer to send them off to be repaired. That would meant I couldnt drive my car for at least a week, so I blew it off. Good offer, but I would not take high performance low profile tires there.

Last set was done at Tires Plus, great experience. Tom, the manager was a true professional who did everything right. I watched his customer interaction during the hour and a quarter it took. He was straight up and super professional.

Price for them mounted and out the door was maybe $10 a tire more than tirerack, who I've used twice before and like. Worth it just for the great service. And at +$600 for them, an extra $40 isnt that much.

On a side note, I stopped in to the Curtis Tire, bad choice. When I told the lady I needed Y rated tires with about a 320 treadwear, she just blinked in puzzlement. She seemed to really not know what I was talking about. Sad.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
and I've been happy with BJ''s.. OTHER then they changed the wrong tire one time. Prices are right, and ALL I want them to do is mount and balance.. anything more technical then that, I'll go elsewhere.

I'm not. I've had one tire back there 4 times because it has a slow leak and STILL does. Granted, the leak is slower now but it still leaks. :ohwell:

I love Cheseldine's. Great service and reasonable prices. :yay: