MS Excel syntax?

Tomcat

Anytime
Working on a spreadsheet and can't figure out the proper syntax (format) for a formula I want to use. I've got 2 totals C21 and K21 I want to print a word in C23 depending on which total is greater. I've been trying IF(C21>K21," x") and variations and can't seem to find the right format. Any help?

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Working on a spreadsheet and can't figure out the proper syntax (format) for a formula I want to use. I've got 2 totals C21 and K21 I want to print a word in C23 depending on which total is greater. I've been trying IF(C21>K21," x") and variations and can't seem to find the right format. Any help?

:nerd: sorry, too dumbed down here :buddies:

blacklabman

I think you need a second option within the parens. "Do if true" otherwise the other option.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think you need a second option within the parens. "Do if true" otherwise the other option.

:yeahthat:

After the test IF(a>b, "x","")

Returns x if true blank if false

But make sure the two cells you are evaluating are actually numbers or values and not text.

Last edited:

Tomcat

Anytime
:yeahthat:

After the test IF(a>b, "x","")

Returns x if true blank if false

But make sure the two cells you are evaluating are actually numbers or values and not text.

The cells being compared are formulas =(B9+B17) and =(E9+E17) What I'm trying to do is put "X" in block if B formula is greater than E formula
TIA

C

czygvtwkr

The cells being compared are formulas =(B9+B17) and =(E9+E17) What I'm trying to do is put "X" in block if B formula is greater than E formula
TIA

I think you have to do if VALUE(B9+B17) > VALUE(E9+E17)